Nitrogen - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-13-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Nitrogen

It's no suprise Nitrogen is better for tire inflation, but until now I didn't realize it was being used anywhere then the local closed circuit events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 3:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Nitrogen

In my opinion its not really worth it for a road bike!
Nitrogen does keep your tyres at a much more constant presure than air as its an inert gas that doesnt expand anywhere near as much as Air does with temperature changes.
It was first used in aeroplane tyres to stop them from exploding upon landing! for example when a planes at 10,000 ft or more the tyres are below zero degrees (more so in the old days before they had retractable landing gear) and when they come in to land and hit the runway at about 200kph with hundreds of tonnes of weight on them they go from ~Zero to hundred's of degrees (celcius) in a matter of seconds causing them to explode as the presure rapidly rises! Thats why nitrogen was used as the presure change with the temperature increase is nearly neglegable. Helium was experiment with and works just as well as nitrogen, the only draw back being that Helium exists in a monoatomic state (singular molecule) which is small enough to eventually escape thought the rubber hence the tyres constanly lose presure! whereas Nitrogen exist as diatomic molecules (N2) doesnt suffer the same problem!

The reason I think air is a better choice in a road bike is that the couple of PSI presure change can work to your advantage, when the tyres are cold and a few psi down from their optimum operating temperature they conform more to the road surface providing a slightly larger contact patch which compensates slightly for the rubber not being up to temperature! therefore giving more consistant grip from cold to hot.

But on a race bike I agree nitogen would be the more suitable choice as the tyres are already heated close to there operating temperature by the tyre warmers, so having a constant presure is one less variable to contend with when setting up the bike!

Ps. I havent experimented myself but I would presume if you use nitrogen you would plobalbly need to set them about 5 psi higher when cold, than if they were inflated with air! But best to check them hot and aim for about 5 psi up on the normal presures you use with air when cold.

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com

Last edited by Jungleboy; 03-14-2005 at 3:11 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 3:54 AM

Reputation Power: 0

That's spot on!, Nitrogen is also used in many other forms of motor racing from Indy Car to F1, in pit lane at Indy Car races for instance, nitogen is used to operate rattle guns and car air jacks as well as filling the tyres. This is a much safer gas to use in these applications where you have combustables like race fuel etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Spoke to a respected scientist about this. He said for road going and track bikes, it's a waste.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 AM

Reputation Power: 45

If you use N2 in your road motorcycle tires, you will need to change your pressures.

Your favorite tire vendor knows what the typical operating temp of your tire should be, and the pressures they publish account for the increase in pressure.

Our local Road Rider uses an N2 generator to fill their MC tires, and they don't really bother to tell you. I think this is a bad thing as there is a BIG difference in the pressure increase with temp. I only get dirt bike tires done there, so I've never looked into what it would take to adopt road pressures to N2.

We used it in all of the race car and Kart teams I've worked with.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

Last edited by luvtolean; 03-14-2005 at 11:31 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 4:00 PM

Reputation Power: 39

According to John Ulrich, Nitrogen is extremely flammable and you can't smoke within 50 feet of a Nitrogen tank.

Believe it or not, that is exactly what he told me at an Endurance race at Grattan (even though his entire team was cracking up behind him, along with his crew chief). Oh well, you learn something new every day . . . (That John Ulrich is not the brightest bulb in the box).

and your girlfriend too.

Last edited by abtech; 03-14-2005 at 4:01 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 4:01 PM

Reputation Power: 45

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 7:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

LOL

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page