This made my night... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-18-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
This made my night...

I had a long day. Troubleshooting the automation in a rapidly-approaching 4000-seat deployment of Office 2003 with Visio Viewer, plus a number of combo installs with Visio and Project Professional. Deadline for a decision to pilot test was 5pm. Well, it was about 6:30 when we wrapped up our remaining issue, but solving the remaining issue put me in a decidedly better mood.

...but I still had a 90 minute drive ahead of me - and all of it on I-95 - from Princeton, past Philly (on a Friday night), and back into Delaware. I was in the Integra, and had the MP3 changer working hard. Now, my car is stock in appearance, but admittedly it does have an er...obviously non-stock muffler outlet. It's not the BIGGEST fart can you've ever seen, but it must be 3 inches, and it's the one thing (other than the 3/4" drop in ride height) that another driver might notice about my 'sleeper'.

Fortunately traffic was light, and I was in Delaware in short order. Cruising at a modest 70 mph, my eyes flickering between the concrete slab ahead and the headlights behind, I noticed a pair of lights bearing down on me fast. I was in the center lane on the three-lane I-495. I could tell it wasn't a LEO...

So the guy flies up on my RIGHT and with impressive flair settles to exactly my chosen speed. I look over and it's a fairly young guy in a new Lotus Elise. It was gorgeous, in a metallic sand (beige/pewter?) color I hadn't seen on that car before. I ogled his ride, and he looked at me for a second or two as if offering an invitation, and then the Elise surged forward. I suppose it was to his great disappointment that I did not bite, but traffic wasn't exactly sparse, and there was a car a hundred yards ahead in my lane.

He slowed down and I moved forward to catch him. A few moments later I pulled alongside and gave him a thumbs-up, offering my approval of the car more so than the display of acceleration. He acknowledged, and we collectively supposed it was my turn. I dropped to fourth and ran it fairly hard up to fifth. He stayed steady.

When we were a couple miles down the road, he pulled alongside once more, and again matched my speed. Traffic had magically cleared, so it was on. I matched revs and smoothly dropped to fourth again. We glanced at each other for about a second. When he nailed it, I followed, and we both gave it our best.

The engines strained, pedals to carpet. We were dead even for a long second or two...but as the revs climbed, and the turbo was fully spooled, and the VTEC profile changed, I pulled away as if he backed off...(but he did not)!

I had at least four lengths on him within ten or fifteen seconds. As a semi-responsible citizen, I slowed as soon as there was no doubt about the outcome - before getting to a REALLY unsafe speed and earning myself a ticket (or worse). I figure that the Elise driver was either surprised at the balls of the little Teggy, or disappointed that his pricey sex machine was dusted by a ten-year-old ricemobile.

Nonetheless, he courteously pulled alongside a third time and gave ME a thumbs up before we left each other alone.

(I know the Elise is more of a handler than a drag racer, and I'd still trade with him in a hot second, but it was nice knowing my $6K commuter car can handle a $35K street-legal track machine like an Elise.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-18-2005, 11:05 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: This made my night...

From the way you described your tegger in a few other posts...I think that there are a LOT of cars you could give a run for their money gotta make you feel good, especially in a 10 year old "rice mobile" I always wanted to drop a turbo GS-R into my 91 beater when I had it, now you wanna talk about a sleeper, but it got written off before I had the chance(oh well )

Now with the prelude, I play it cool because everyone thinks that 'ludes are the fastest things out there(don't ask me why) when really it is more of a luxury/handling car than anything...You would no belive how many "kids" wanna race all the time when I am in my car...I just laugh and drive off slow, knowing that they probably would have handed my ass to me (they get pretty pissed)

nice "kill" (not that I condone doing that sort of thing )
post #3 of 3 Old 03-18-2005, 11:10 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: This made my night...

I say nice "kill" as well. There is nothing better than blowing away a car that cost 3x what you have in your own. I've done that a time or two...or ten with the beauty to my left. The same applies when I'm racing in sand on the good old Honda 250R walking away from these $7,000 four-strokes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page