ATI Procharger Supercharger - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-19-2005, 4:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

ATI Procharger Supercharger

I am working on possibly trading my Camaro SS for a C5 or possibly just keeping the SS. Regardless, I was looking in to supercharging it. Since they both have the LS1 engine, I am looking at essentially the same kits. I was leaning towards a supercharger and some of the folks at LS1.com like the ATI procharger. Does anyone here have experience with this company/supercharger or can comment on what the install is like? I looked at teh install manual and it looks like it will take awhile but nothing that looks particullarly difficult. Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-20-2005, 12:05 AM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
Re: ATI Procharger Supercharger

If I recall correctly, the Procharger has a self-contained lubrication system. This makes the installation less permanent, and also makes it easier, but you need to be diligent about changing the oil in the Procharger, but otherwise it's pretty good. I've heard "car guys" kinda piss on it (verbally) as the "cheap" supercharger, but I've also heard decent things about it, including good reliability if you service it regularly. I believe it's the cheapest way to get boost (other than "NOS"!)

My wife's '05 Grand Prix GTP has a 3.8 with a factory supercharger (running very little boost - I think 6 psi?), but it does wonders for that car. Imagine what it would do for your SS!

I'd love to have a 35th anniversary SS, and collectability be damned - I'd consider a supercharger!

Sorry - I can't comment on the installation, as I've never had the opportunity...

Last edited by TAZ; 03-20-2005 at 12:06 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-20-2005, 12:34 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm surprised that you heard good things about it over there on LS1.com. When I had my Camaro, I read nothing but bad things about ATI's unit from the guys on LS1.com. Also, I have a friend with one on a Mustang and it's been replaced 3 times because of defects. Stay away from them.

2002 954 Full Ohlins, Galfer Wave Front Rotors, Scotts Damper, MIG High Mount, 16/45 520 Conversion...Sweeeeet

1996 CBR600F3 Smokin Joe's Edition
Gets good MPG...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-20-2005, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It is hard to know which way to go. You are right about the unit being self lubricated. As you mentioned nothing is permanent either, and the installation is mainly just moving and relocating a few items. The only cutting as I recall is on the front plastic air dam to make room for the intercoolers.

As far as bad things being said I haven't seen anything in the more recent posts I was looking at. Maybe I shall dig a little deeper. But for 5 grand, getting around 450+ hp would be sweet...

The disgusting thing is the KBB resale on the SS is like 16,000... I know I am biased but no way would I sell it for that. So I feel no major obligation to keep it stock

The LS6 engine looks pretty nice... Lingenfelter has the C5R 7L block also...
post #5 of 17 Old 03-20-2005, 4:00 PM

Our shop wont touch anything related to the Marine versions of Prochargers. Basicaly, we have yet to see one that didn't eventualy burn the motor down. They (the marine versions, I know nothing about the cars ones) have horrible fuel systems that are jerry-rigged to sorta work. Example: You need to to increase the fuel as the boost rises naturaly, your shoving more air in. The proper way is to remap the computer and install fuel pumps capable of the new fuel flow requrements and adjustable fuel regulator to set fuel pressure to the injector rail. They put a restrictor on the low pressure return line to "choke" it down, this increasing the fuel pressure so you get more fuel in the cylinders with the same injector and pulse width. Cheesey. ON the other side of the coin, we use a lot of Whippl products and some Vortech and have had little/no problems.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-20-2005, 5:22 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the STS remote turbos but that would then only give me one exhaust pipe out and I would lose my two slash tip 3.5" tips on my loudmouth

Well, I'll keep looking... It will be a little while before I can afford it anyway...

I wonder how much an LS2 would cost?
post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaOne
I looked at the STS remote turbos but that would then only give me one exhaust pipe out and I would lose my two slash tip 3.5" tips on my loudmouth

Well, I'll keep looking... It will be a little while before I can afford it anyway...

I wonder how much an LS2 would cost?
My turbo mustang splits to 2 tails.

Can't you throw heads and an intake (and the complimentary FI upgrades) at one of those and make mid 400's?

post #8 of 17 Old 03-21-2005, 11:46 AM

A couple comments about adding boost in general.

Your car wasn't built for it. Turbo motors done by the manufacturer's are always different, blocks, heads, oiling, engine control systems... Remember this.

Your ECU does not have provisions for measuring boost. Like G-Force said, this means the supercharger is easiest. Because the boost is directly related to RPM, you can buy bigger injectors and fuel pump, and get it mapped by a good shop. DO NOT use a Fuel Management Unit (the little POS that jacks fuel pressure via a boost reference), the deal G-Force was talking about. Vortech, and ATI all do them in their Mustang kits. DO NOT get greedy with boost, 6 PSI or so and it should live for a while. You start cranking it up and your ride will get very unreliable.

In your car, I'd stay away from turbos unless you plan to add a stand alone ECU. Because turbos are load sensitive, you need to be able to measure the boost in the intake for the ECU to alter fuel/timing maps accordingly. They are tricky to map properly, and this fact has given turbos a bad name.

Last edited by luvtolean; 03-21-2005 at 11:53 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-21-2005, 8:35 PM Thread Starter

Digging around a little more, it seems they recommend the "Tuner" kit which does not include the cheesey fuel management. Instead you get the tuner kit, new injectors and a new fuel pump and then get it tuned at a shop. That would probably be the way to go...
post #10 of 17 Old 03-21-2005, 8:48 PM

Reputation Power: 16

A good friend of mine has a 97 SS w/ 14psi going through the Procharger. He has only put about 3-500 miles on the completely built, $14,000 motor. ($ is including the ATI kit) It is definitely set up right, fuel system that is. The only thing not done is an LT1 Edit but it runs decent as you could imagine. No problems yet and it's hovering around 700 ponies. Luck be with me and I'll own that car within a month
post #11 of 17 Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator
A good friend of mine has a 97 SS w/ 14psi going through the Procharger. He has only put about 3-500 miles on the completely built, $14,000 motor. ($ is including the ATI kit) It is definitely set up right, fuel system that is. The only thing not done is an LT1 Edit but it runs decent as you could imagine. No problems yet and it's hovering around 700 ponies. Luck be with me and I'll own that car within a month
But he is probaly not running stock pistons, right?
post #12 of 17 Old 03-21-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
But he is probaly not running stock pistons, right?
God no!!!! Forged crank/blower pistons, MSD timing knob in-car, best of everything.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
God no!!!! Forged crank/blower pistons, MSD timing knob in-car, best of everything.
Lower compression too no doubt.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Exactaly my point, any idiot can bolt a blower to a motor...but the bottom end was never built for it hence alot of the problems when they try and push even a medium amount of boost through them. The less boost you can run the better off you are all around.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Exactaly my point, any idiot can bolt a blower to a motor...but the bottom end was never built for it hence alot of the problems when they try and push even a medium amount of boost through them. The less boost you can run the better off you are all around.
Right you are my friend. This makes me wonder just how many thousands of idiots have bolted blowers onto stock motors and just watched them go BOOM!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page