my license test yesterday - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
my license test yesterday

some of you might be wondering how my license test for my class A went yesterday. well I failed but thats ok. almost no one passes their first time. The state trooper who was giving the test told me afterwards that he really thought we were gonna end up on the road.

The test goes like this: pretrip inspection of the vehicle, 10 step check of the air brakes, then a cone course.the course goes like thisffest entry (sort of an S turn) meant to simulate changing lanes. forward to within 18" of the cone, then straight back a ways to 18" of that cone. then parallel park passenger side then drivers side then an alley dock (90 degrees into an alley). you get 3 get out and 3 pull ups for each maneuver.

so the pretrip I messed up and forgot some of the brake stuff on the rear of trailer but I did so well on the rest of I had enough points. Air braes test like nothing (did it so many times training people to drive a bus anyway I should know it easily). then the cones. entry no problem, forward and back no problem. parallel park passenger side I had a little trouble with for some reason but I did it. Then drivers side I was lined up perfect in there without a problem only used 1 get out and 1 pull up then went to use my second get out and I went too far back and just touched the cone so I failed that one. Then alley dock I don't know why but I couldn't get it (must have been flustered from the parallel park fail) and ended up getting the back wheels of my tractor out of the line so I failed that.

So next time I just have to do that parallel park and alley dock again then if I pass them the road test.

to put it into persepctive a little the other guy that was there for his test had just those 2 manuevers to do and he failed them again, for the 4th time. And he wasn't even really close on them. The instructor showed me papers about other people and almost all only passed one or 2 things out of all the cones and vehicle inspection stuff.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 1:18 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Re: my license test yesterday

Sorry to hear you failed but your're right not many pass it on the first time. I'm sure you'll pull through on the next one.

Dan
post #3 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 1:21 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Sorry, dumb question...

Is that all done with a trailer hooked up?

And then there's this asshole...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 1:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
Sorry, dumb question...

Is that all done with a trailer hooked up?
yes. 45 foot trailer. its the biggest you can fit in the cones. the tractor is 6 wheeler instead of 10 (single set of dualies in the back instead of 2 sets)

yeah I'm pretty confident I can get it next time. in all the training I've done I haven't had much trouble really. I usually can spot when I'm getting into trouble and gonna hit a cone or go over the line before it happens. I think total in 22 hours of training I've hit maybe 3 cones.

post #5 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 1:31 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Sorry, so when can you retest?

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 1:35 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Commiserations, CBR929E, but glad to hear it was close and you're aware of where you need to practise to get through successfully next time.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 2:32 PM
SPEED

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Tough test!! It used to be so much simpler. Hope you get it next time around!

Last edited by SPEED; 04-08-2005 at 2:33 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna fill out the paperwork again and they'll set up another date.

I don't even think its that I need more practice its that I need to be a little more relaxed and not so nervous. The parallel park was just retarded, I mean I was in perfect without a single problem but just went back to far and I still had 2 get outs to use. And I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong on the alley dock so I know not to do that next time.

yeah its a wicked hard test, its rediculous but with good training its not too bad and I've had good training. I think driving a bus before helped a lot in learning how to drive it since they are both large vehicles. I'm also used to the course because of driving a bus and training people to drive it also.

I'll show that course who's boss next time.

post #9 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 11:00 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I just had a flash: you in the bus; Otto on the Simpsons

Must obey the sheep dog
post #10 of 17 Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
I just had a flash: you in the bus; Otto on the Simpsons
yeah almost. but he drove a school bus I drove a transit bus. With my license now and after I get my class A I still won't be able to drive a school bus because thats a special endorsement but all I'd have to do is 20 hours of training with a school bus company. No more test or anything else.

this is the bus I drove. we all hated this particular one (9215) because it was slow as **** (compared to the others). God did I love driving those things though. Used to whip them around, I rubbed the wheel wells one time going around a turn pretty fast, it was fun. (bat stands for Brockton Area Transit if you're wondering)

Last edited by CBR929RE; 07-11-2010 at 11:43 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-09-2005, 1:39 AM

Reputation Power: 23

That looks like a nice bus. I'd like to take one of those on a road trip, but I don't think I could back it into a parking spot. I think it would be better to let the experts like yourself do it.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-09-2005, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxib
That looks like a nice bus. I'd like to take one of those on a road trip, but I don't think I could back it into a parking spot. I think it would be better to let the experts like yourself do it.
yeah thats only a 35 footer, they came in 30 and 40 foot models also so I don't think they'll fit in a normal spot. They don't make that bus anymore though, the market demands low floor (floor at sidewalk level) models now. That and the others we had at school were 1992s but kept up pretty damn well. A lot of people take old buses and turn them into RVs. I'm not sure exactly what you have to do to it, I think take off the air brakes unless you have a CDL with that endorsement. Sometimes you can find a good deal on one on ebay. If you got one of these you atleast wouldn't have to worry about the frame ever rotting because its stainless steel. I liked it though, much prefered driving it to a car, I knew where every part of the vehicle was and could come within inches of stuff without trouble. Hopefully I'll like the truck driving as much.

post #13 of 17 Old 04-09-2005, 2:31 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

ride the doper?

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #14 of 17 Old 04-09-2005, 3:54 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
yeah thats only a 35 footer, they came in 30 and 40 foot models also so I don't think they'll fit in a normal spot. They don't make that bus anymore though, the market demands low floor (floor at sidewalk level) models now. That and the others we had at school were 1992s but kept up pretty damn well. A lot of people take old buses and turn them into RVs. I'm not sure exactly what you have to do to it, I think take off the air brakes unless you have a CDL with that endorsement. Sometimes you can find a good deal on one on ebay. If you got one of these you atleast wouldn't have to worry about the frame ever rotting because its stainless steel. I liked it though, much prefered driving it to a car, I knew where every part of the vehicle was and could come within inches of stuff without trouble. Hopefully I'll like the truck driving as much.
In Michigan (don't know about elsewhere), you only need a standard operators license (meaning automobile license) to drive a motorhome or conversion with air-brakes. I never quite understood why anyone would have problems running air-brakes after about 15 minutes behind the wheel .

Do you have a choice of trailer when you take the test? I was advised (wisely, I should add) to take it with a flatbed and it was much easier to judge relative position . . .
post #15 of 17 Old 04-09-2005, 5:40 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Good thought abtech. Whatever may come, good luck and don't let the DOT gremlins get you down. We're all pulling for you!

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page