Lance retiring in July. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-18-2005, 4:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Lance retiring in July.

Bummer. Oh well, I hope he gets the final epic battle with Ullrich and goes out on top.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylc...ters&type=lgns

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Last edited by WetShrub; 04-18-2005 at 4:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-18-2005, 4:53 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Lance retiring in July.

Damn, would be a sweet deal for him if he ends up winning one more... Doubt it would be in any of our lifetimes that anyone beats the record he has set with his wins.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-18-2005, 5:24 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Thank God! I thought you were talking about Lance Keigwin.

Ride Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-18-2005, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

LK is only in his early 40's right? That and his business is just starting to really take off so I doubt he would retire. Plus, he has a fun job!

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-18-2005, 6:25 PM

Go Lance. what a rider, i agree that no one in our life time will eclipse his record (jmo which means little). I read on a web page that he has 8 on going law suites against him. The european laws establishment just won't leave him be. After 100's of blood samples for testing and all clean, they still insist hes a drugie. I read he made 19 millon last year, I'd be retiring to.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 6:05 AM

Lance

Sad day when a master of his art like Lance hangs it up, would have liked to see him race some classics, take down the world championships or the 1 hour WR but win or lose this year he has nothing to prove.

I think I said last year in a Tour thread the next big American rider will be Tom Danielson, look out for him this year he could make some waves...
post #7 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 9:42 AM

Yea, I'm kinda bummed b/c I'm just getting into this cycling thing.

Oh well. He has a lot going for him and a lot on his plate. Good for him that he has done well enough that he can lead a more normal life and spend more time w/ his kids.

He was only married for like 4-5 years or some crap like that. I don't know why but I thought it was longer.

HD

Last edited by Heavy-Dee; 04-19-2005 at 9:43 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat
Go Lance. what a rider, i agree that no one in our life time will eclipse his record (jmo which means little). I read on a web page that he has 8 on going law suites against him. The european laws establishment just won't leave him be. After 100's of blood samples for testing and all clean, they still insist hes a drugie. I read he made 19 millon last year, I'd be retiring to.
Flo Jo never tested positive for drugs either....dead at 38 Hmmmmm..... That Greek sprinter who won a silver a few years ago and had that convenient motorcycle crash during the olympics has never tested positive either.. HMMMMM.
Timing, and skilled doctors and a good drug lab can let you get away with a lot. All you need is a drug which is not currently tested for, or is expelled from the system quickly enough.
Cycling is RIDDLED with drugs, and full of sporting associations that just dont want to know about it. Most if not all of the Australian Olympic cycling team should have been treated as EXTREMELY suspicious after a scandal that hit just before Athens. Of course the main national cycling body found a scapegoat and then wanted to say how clean everyone else was. If some OTHER country's athletes had been found in a similar position theyd have wanted blood. I havent read a lot to suggest that too many other cycling squads have any more integrity.....
A while back there was a show on TV here mainly about drugs in soccer and had a bit on cycling too. One of the sources was quoted as saying 'its a level playing field out there - its just not the one everybody thinks it is'. Pretty much sums it up.
Look I hope he's clean, I really do (especially for his sake in a few years) but its harder and harder to just assume that in sport. And when someone rises WAY above the pack its just hard not to be suspicious especially when you KNOW that large parts of the opposition that he is beating (if not all) are also chemically enhanced.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 AM

Reputation Power: 50

I'd retire too if Sheryl Crow was my girlfriend.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog
Flo Jo never tested positive for drugs either....dead at 38 Hmmmmm..... That Greek sprinter who won a silver a few years ago and had that convenient motorcycle crash during the olympics has never tested positive either.. HMMMMM.
Timing, and skilled doctors and a good drug lab can let you get away with a lot. All you need is a drug which is not currently tested for, or is expelled from the system quickly enough.
Cycling is RIDDLED with drugs, and full of sporting associations that just dont want to know about it. Most if not all of the Australian Olympic cycling team should have been treated as EXTREMELY suspicious after a scandal that hit just before Athens. Of course the main national cycling body found a scapegoat and then wanted to say how clean everyone else was. If some OTHER country's athletes had been found in a similar position theyd have wanted blood. I havent read a lot to suggest that too many other cycling squads have any more integrity.....
A while back there was a show on TV here mainly about drugs in soccer and had a bit on cycling too. One of the sources was quoted as saying 'its a level playing field out there - its just not the one everybody thinks it is'. Pretty much sums it up.
Look I hope he's clean, I really do (especially for his sake in a few years) but its harder and harder to just assume that in sport. And when someone rises WAY above the pack its just hard not to be suspicious especially when you KNOW that large parts of the opposition that he is beating (if not all) are also chemically enhanced.

Not trying to argue but don't compare soccer, Olympic sports (including Olympic cycling) or any other sport to Pro Cycling... Pro Cycling is light years ahead of any sports body in its testing methods, hell the Olympics didn't even test for EPO until recently. Pro cycling has it's cheaters no doubt about that but when someone is pricked and poked for blood, drained of urine more then anyone in the history of sports and even a entire country of doctors is hell bent on finding evidence of drugs turns up nada, nil, nothing not even a trace of drugs, banned herbals or blood doping I will give that guy the benefit of the doubt. He's clean, bottom line, end of story.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider
Not trying to argue but don't compare soccer, Olympic sports (including Olympic cycling) or any other sport to Pro Cycling... Pro Cycling is light years ahead of any sports body in its testing methods, hell the Olympics didn't even test for EPO until recently. Pro cycling has it's cheaters no doubt about that but when someone is pricked and poked for blood, drained of urine more then anyone in the history of sports and even a entire country of doctors is hell bent on finding evidence of drugs turns up nada, nil, nothing not even a trace of drugs, banned herbals or blood doping I will give that guy the benefit of the doubt. He's clean, bottom line, end of story.
Been a big fan of his since his days on the Subaru Montgomery team. However, I too find it harder and harder to believe that he is NOT doping. As time passes it seems like it's more and more likely rather than unlikely. I hope he isn't and until he is tested positive, I will continue to believe he isn't. I just have my doubts.

I got burned on another hero when this stuff about Tyler Hamilton came out. That dude is/was so inspiring and it really burned to hear about his doping crap. I just hope if Lance is doping that he doesn't get caught so that the sport and his fans don't have to deal with the huge let down. Especially for the sports sake. He has made such a huge impact on it that if he was found positive I think it could really do damage and reduce the sport to the level of WWE wrestling. Entertainment, but not true competition....

post #12 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShrub
Been a big fan of his since his days on the Subaru Montgomery team. However, I too find it harder and harder to believe that he is NOT doping. As time passes it seems like it's more and more likely rather than unlikely. I hope he isn't and until he is tested positive, I will continue to believe he isn't. I just have my doubts.

I got burned on another hero when this stuff about Tyler Hamilton came out. That dude is/was so inspiring and it really burned to hear about his doping crap. I just hope if Lance is doping that he doesn't get caught so that the sport and his fans don't have to deal with the huge let down. Especially for the sports sake. He has made such a huge impact on it that if he was found positive I think it could really do damage and reduce the sport to the level of WWE wrestling. Entertainment, but not true competition....

I have to agree with you on the Tyler thing, he is from my hometown of about 20k people and we are the same age. He still owns a house just down the street from my Aunt even though he moved to Denver to cycle in the mountains more. I just don't know it's a crazy thing but from keeping up with cycling heavily for a few years now I just think Lance is a freak, the guy's VO2 Max was off the charts even at a young age when he didn't have the resources for drugs, he makes less lactic acid then most normal people and he remade his body shape after cancer. I think it just all adds up to someone that is just a special rider.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider
I have to agree with you on the Tyler thing, he is from my hometown of about 20k people and we are the same age. He still owns a house just down the street from my Aunt even though he moved to Denver to cycle in the mountains more. I just don't know it's a crazy thing but from keeping up with cycling heavily for a few years now I just think Lance is a freak, the guy's VO2 Max was off the charts even at a young age when he didn't have the resources for drugs, he makes less lactic acid then most normal people and he remade his body shape after cancer. I think it just all adds up to someone that is just a special rider.
I hope so. I continue to believe that he is a freak like Indurain until proven otherwise.

Here is the article on Tyler:

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7887.0.html

-Shrub

post #14 of 14 Old 04-28-2005, 2:37 PM
TAZ

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Oh, yeah - Lance is a freak.
But he also trains harder than anyone in all of cycling, from what I hear.
The guy trains at least a hundred miles a day, right?

I don't believe for a second that he's doping.
...and yes, I'm a big fan. I would be disappointed if it ever came to light that he had used any illegal substances.

They should have already renamed the race the "Tour de LANCE" (which is what I call it). Hell, they even changed the race in a blatant effort to produce a different winner, but that didn't matter.

My favorite moment in last year's Tour was when Lance leapfrogged to a small early breakaway to 'bring back' a challenger for the overall (sorry; I forget the guy's name). Armstrong essentially policed the guy on his own, as if saying "Not today, my friend. Why don't you just coast on back to the peloton with me, mmm-kay?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page