Home automation/security - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 4:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Home automation/security

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience setting up a whole house system. I've done some searching and it looks like SSG and Baketech have some experience. We're building a house right now, and in about a month I'm going to be starting the electrical (well, it's actually a garage with an attached house )

I was originally planning on just getting a security system, but now I'm thinking more along the lines of a complete integrated system for security, smoke/fire detectors, HVAC, lighting, etc. An audible alarm is one thing, but if I'm away from home and someone tries to get it it would be nice to have all lighting maxed at the same time, and get a call to let me know about it. It would also be nice to be able to monitor/control everything such as the thermostats and dimmers, etc. It's not a huge house, about 1600 sq ft ranch (1250 sq ft attached garage though ) so I'm only going to try to protect about a dozen windows, 4 doors, and all the garage doors. I'd like something that I can interface with my PC's in the house and garage for control, I'm already planning on having Cat5 in every room, so also loading it on a laptop. I'm not a big fan of wireless though, all my network will be hard wired.

Thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 7:17 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Re: Home automation/security

Few questions:
-1- Do you want the system to cost more or less then the house?
-2- How much more?

Actually I have a few things in mind based on what you said above, but honestly I have not found anything (in the U.S. market) that is sort of an all-in-one solution for the above that works well for everything. It's sort of the jack of all trades - master of none type of show thus far. BUT, as stated I don't do much work @ residential stuff so what I do know of I get by osmosis vs. immersion.

Looking to pour some of my own concrete soon and have been eyeing something reasonable similiar to what you described above. Thus far I have found more and more manufacturers are installing dry contacts, analog feedbacks, and 'smart' monitoring of trends build into their 'home' lines of products.
Example is a honeywell t-stat @ Home Depot that has an auxiliary 24vac output to signal an alarm condition (ie: heating setpoint 72 but space is exceeding greater or less then 5 from that setpoint).

A friend of mine just had a sec. system installed by ADT, it's 100% wireless (which I see as a weakness fyi..) but the control console has outputs and inputs which can be programmed through some manipulation. You could tie these inputs or outputs into your hvac system, or lighting. If doing a digital lighting control, I think some of the Lutron residential lineup has aux-inputs or dry outputs to link to other dimmers or light controls...which can be just as easily connected to a relay, etc. (just watch the inrush+static current on the relays as many solid state devices don't take well to banging relays on/off if they are intended to tie into other solid state devices).

If you really wanted to go geek on a budget, you could check out some of the X10 stuff. A gal at works hubby has installed it all over their house and she claims it handles some of the notification and temp alerting tasks and automation functions you seek with ease. I'm not sure about PC integration, but she speaks highly of it. The downside is I think there is some extended test and tune for the 'non-specitic' type home-automation things, as she did go home on more then one occasion because her alarm was calling her for nothing

Whats your budget?

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 7:28 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Can't help you there, but I did save alot of money switching....sorry, lol, just happened to pop into my head.

Anywho, I just signed with ADT also. I got the wireless transmitter to unlock the system by remote if I am coming in with my hands full. The motion sensors will be set up to take into account my 90+ lb Akita, but will tell me by remote the height/est weight of a person also by remote, and have the temp sensor installed incase of immediate jump from a fire, along with smoke detectors.

I'm thinking its just the easy way out to protect my pets, valuables and me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 7:33 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Heh, I think the Akita will be doing the protecting. They are dogs not to be messed with!

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 7:43 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Heh, I think the Akita will be doing the protecting. They are dogs not to be messed with!

That big baby, my 15lb Jack Russel mix is the one you should be afraid of, until you walk in and shes all over you trying to get attention. LOL He will stand back and bark, which is scary if you dont know him, but I think he would be in the corner barking and peeing all over the floor if someone did break in. ha
post #6 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 8:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Have you looked here yet?
http://www.smarthome.com/
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2006, 8:28 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but to those of you looking at home automation stuff, you might take a peek at INSTEON.

After trying a couple of different systems with only marginal success, I can say that this setup works pretty well for retro-fit home automation tasks. Just for testing, I set up a small system at home with about 13 points of control for about $500. It's more expensive than the other systems, but so far has been very solid and seems to be worth the extra bucks...

There aren't very many modules or devices available yet, but it seems like a growing product line, and it is backward compatible with your existing X10 modules.

No affiliation, just a heads-up...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2006, 2:11 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

I think Motorola is about to release their line of similar products...looks like quality stuff

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #9 of 10 Old 11-10-2006, 3:19 AM

Reputation Power: 25

I'm not really concerned with home automation just yet. I never like being an early adopter to new stuff because if you can wait, the cost always drops. No need for it right now.

Upon buying my house I did get an alarm put in. I've got glass break sensors in every critical area, as well as window sensors. I've also got two motion detectors that I turn on anytime I leave the house. With the alarm they gave me a remote, which is cool. I also got the garage door sensor installed, and if I'm leaving for any serious amount of time I lock the garage door from the inside.

I went through a local company for all of this. Their SLA is 30 seconds from the time the alarm triggers. I have it setup for them to call me first before calling the police.

22 days until it begins...
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2006, 6:11 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy View Post
I think Motorola is about to release their line of similar products...looks like quality stuff
Is there any info out on the web yet...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page