Ford GT = POS Disclaimer: must show proof of SAE membership for entry - Page 5 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 66 Old 05-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Re: Bubba: Ford GT = POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwilli3
sorry guys, only good thing about the GT is that photo shoot that dillion precision did with the model packing a glock...

Shooters and reloaders that receive the Blue press are familiar with what I speak of...
I think my dad was looking at that issue for a few hours too long.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
... There WAS and still IS a business case for the car. As previously mentioned, there were more than enough names on the list - some with deposits to sell the entire production line at a huge profit to Chrysler.
That is what you call an excellent, solid business case.
What is your source of information for this? Sounds like you might have pulled it out of your ass.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100710

It's pretty easy for the automotive press to get people excited about a new concept car. I'll wager that there were hundreds, maybe thousands of deposits for Ford Thunderbirds and Plymouth Prowlers before those companies decided to produce them.

And then there's this asshole...
post #63 of 66 Old 05-26-2005, 1:29 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxib
Just so noone gets the wrong impression luv , I would like to point out the fact that the '80s Corvette was grossly stifled by the EPA regs forcing the 'vette to have 180hp ('80 305) minimum, 230hp ('80 350) maximum ...all the way to a whopping decrease to 200hp ('82 350) which was the last of the C3 'vettes.

C4 'vettes were 205hp ('84 350) [there was only one '83 'vette made, and it is on display at NCM at Bowling Green] up to 245hp ('89 350) which completes the decade. (375 hp wasn't available with 350ci until the ZR1 in 1990 but it cost $27,016 for that option over the $31,979 base in 1990)

My point...
Those stats are disgustingly anemic. I don't recall the years for Fiero production, but turbocharging a six cylinder Fiero would no doubt wipe ass on a normally aspirated 'vette of the same vintage.

What do you think turbocharging the vette and then comparing? Still not apples to apples due to weight and cylinders, I know. So, how 'bout I counter with the fact that Fieros had engine compartment fires more often than 'vettes did in the '80s?
I follow you. I'm very familiar with Vettes and their story.

But, that doesn't really matter. The Quad 4 was a great little 4 cylinder GM was installing in all kinds of cars. They bolted a turbo on it, and it was a little screamer. It was cheap, durable and producable. It was not a enthusiast's modded car like your scenario. It was supposedly a car Pontiac really wanted to build.

Nothing was keeping Chevy from modding their Vette, they just didn't. Because boosting the 350 would've blown it to pieces. They would have had to have started with the block (cylinder walls were very thin in that era's 350s) and redesign everything. The Quad 4 was way overbuilt and could take it.

Last edited by luvtolean; 05-26-2005 at 2:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 66 Old 05-26-2005, 5:36 PM

Didn't the GNX outperform the Corvette of it's day? And the Turbo Trans Am as well? But you're right, there is no way GM would let any Fiero out the door beating it's big brothers.

As for the as-yet-unreleased Z06, I hope they have the bugs worked out of it before it hits showrooms. I think they've already delayed release because they found a few things.

I don't think the Ford GT's problems make it a POS overall, but they are unacceptable (IMO) for a car at it's price (and there is no way I would be satisfied knowing it had a speedi sleeve on it...again, look at how much it cost). I'd say part of it's problem is that it was rushed to market too quickly. I bet they still sell as many as they can make.
post #65 of 66 Old 05-26-2005, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED
Me to !! I'm glad I don't have opinions . This is a tuff group
post #66 of 66 Old 05-26-2005, 7:58 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy1600
Re: Ford GT = POS Disclaimer: must show proof of SAE membership for entry

Quote:
Besides the stint of working on the car 24/7, other sacrifices were made. On the body pillar behind the door is some evidence: stickers that attest to the number of birds the ME Four-Twelve hit on its Oscoda test runs (PETA will no doubt file an objection).

Gold!!

Poking the Devil with a stick then running away

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page