Blackberry? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-17-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Blackberry?

I may finally have to submit to work's demands and get a Blackberry. Does anyone have suggestions about which phone to pick up?

I think my choices may be limited to the 7250 or 7750. They also have the palmOne Treo 600 but I've heard bad things about it.

Any thoughts?

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-17-2005, 11:12 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Blackberry?

I have the 7520, pretty cool, but would never activate the phone feature. I use it for pages and direct connect.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-17-2005, 11:47 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Had a 7100 for a while and loved it....no negatives to speak of. Not familiar with either of those models, but they probably run the same or very similar software barring a few possible options like bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 7:38 AM

DON'T DO IT

The wifer has one and we call it the CRACKBERRY. She cannot put it down when she starts looking at e-mail.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 9:29 AM Thread Starter

*arg* Yeah, I totally understand. I hate the things and I even have to work with them. The problem is that work says they want me to have one. *ugh*

So does nobody have experience with the 7250 or 7750??

Jordan H.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I've got a 7280 - company supplied with the phone not activated. Our Exec. VP lost his Blackberry on the road once and had no way of being contacted. Thus, now we carry a cell and a Blackberry (I call it wearing suspenders and a belt).

No real complaints. It's just an email machine to me. Attachments are hard to read, especially excel files, so I save those until I am in a position to fire up the laptop. And mr rua is correct - it is the Crackberry.

We are very limited with our set-up... no applications other than email, so I'm not much of a resource.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #7 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizJetGuy
Thus, now we carry a cell and a Blackberry (I call it wearing suspenders and a belt).
Isn't that sort of a waste of money, not to mention you feel like you're wearing Batman's utility belt?
post #8 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 11:26 AM

7290 here.

pretty much all the same, main concern should be service because of the area of coverage. crackberry is right... i get phantom vibrates and i am always checking it.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 11:35 AM

I have a 7230 currently but they are all the same for email service, it's all in the software. If you aren't going to use it for a phone just get whatever you want I have had 3 devices over the last few years and they really haven't been much different.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Isn't that sort of a waste of money, not to mention you feel like you're wearing Batman's utility belt?
Yes to both.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #11 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 7:13 PM
Fig

7250 with voice and data. I like the email feature. It's even nicer when people know how to email conference numbers with the right format. You can click on them in the email, and it will dial the conference for you. It's cool as a work tool, and has saved me a couple of times when I was away from my desk, and needed to make a quick response.

To combat the crackberry side of it, I leave it in my tankbag when I get home. Then I don't have to hunt for it the next morning.
Fig
post #12 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 7:40 PM Thread Starter

Some of my colleagues have the 7250 and they unanimously tried to twist my arm to get the crackberry. Frigging workaholics. I already work (read: "Have them convinced tha tI work") 24x7 and I hate being "on" all the time. Ugh.

Looks like the 7250 will be the shiznit.

Jordan H.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-18-2005, 7:55 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

I have a 7510 through nextel as a email/mobile web machine... When you get it, check out http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/foru...p?s=&forumid=7 for lots of good info. Programs of intrest are BBLight, and Reqwireless viewer (allows you to view any www page). When you get it and get up and running with it, let me know if you have any problems. Ive become pretty good with them. So good that the local Government rep calls me from time to time to help out another client with them.
Chris
post #14 of 17 Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM
TAZ

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

I had a 7280 for a year. I loved it for the e-mail and the keyboard. I tried a Treo 650 a couple months ago, and liked it, but it had multiple issues (mostly with POP3 e-mail and the fact that it doesn't work with Hotmail). I returned the Treo after a week and replaced it with a Blackberry 7100 series ("g" model, through Cingular).

The 7100 is okay, but I really miss the keyboard on the 7200 series. The screen is nicer; I like the form factor better than the calculator-like 7280; the holster for the 7100 provides much better protection than the 7280's hard holster (and it's much less likely you'll knock a 7100 out of the holster than the 7200 series...). The 7100 also has Bluetooth (not sure about the 7250), and better ringtones.

...but my biggest complaint about the Blackberry, versus the Treo 650 or even the Sony Ericsson I had three years ago, is that you can't use it as a modem for your computer...at least not with any ease. With the latest Blackberry desktop software and some tricky dial-up configuration you can apparently make it work, but there is still some question about the billing (is it included in the "unlimited data plan"?); and it requires some very specific billing codes to be set up on your account before it works. I have the instructions, but have not yet tried to make it work.

If the Treo 650 had the EM capability of the Blackberry (it's all in the email client software they use), then I would have kept that one...
post #15 of 17 Old 07-21-2005, 1:14 PM Thread Starter

Modem, schmodem. *meh* If I need Internet connection it's wireless or LAN and if, for some godforsaken reason, need dialup, an analog phone is never too far away.

Jordan H.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page