YF22 Raptor - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2005, 6:02 PM Thread Starter
 
phobiaphobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-23-2004
Location: Omnipresent
Age: 37
Posts: 11,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43
                     
Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
YF22 Raptor

http://ghostrider.homestead.com/Langley_Fighters.html

Pretty amazing machine. Has anyone seen the Discovery channel program where Lockheed faces Boeing to bid on the JSF project?

Whatever happened to the BOeing JSF?

And then there's this asshole...
phobiaphobe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2005, 7:08 PM
 
CBR929RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-2004
Location: Randolph, MA
Age: 38
Posts: 12,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39
                 
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: YF22 Raptor

I think I first saw that thing on Modern Marvels on the Discovery Channel a few years ago. I want one but there's no way I'd ever be able to fly it. Supersonic manuevers, hidden weapons, almost completely stealth (shows up no bigger than a tennis ball on radar) who wouldn't want one?

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
CBR929RE is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2005, 7:52 PM
 
ReaperAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-12-2003
Location: Tucson,AZ
Age: 41
Posts: 4,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
       
Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Re: YF22 Raptor

While Raptor is cool I like the F35 better. Our company worked hand in hand developing the radar system on the Raptor.

Dan

Last edited by ReaperAZ; 08-05-2005 at 8:10 PM.
ReaperAZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2005, 3:46 PM
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-27-2001
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
       
Send a message via Yahoo to Crash
Re: YF22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
http://ghostrider.homestead.com/Langley_Fighters.html

Pretty amazing machine. Has anyone seen the Discovery channel program where Lockheed faces Boeing to bid on the JSF project?

Whatever happened to the BOeing JSF?
We lost the competition. We were ahead at every milestone the DOD asked us for. On paper and in performance our plane was far superior to the Lock Mart's entry. Problem was our plane was ugly. It was dubbed "Monica" for it's gaping open mouth for the intake system. So because it was ugly and determined by certain military circles that Boeing had an unaffair amount of military aircraft contracts, Lock Mart would close their division if they lost, the DOD gave it to Lock Mart. Hardly matters anymore. All the skuttlebutt lately points to the scraping of both the JSF and the F-22. So we'll see.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...
Crash is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2005, 4:35 PM Thread Starter
 
phobiaphobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-23-2004
Location: Omnipresent
Age: 37
Posts: 11,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43
                     
Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: YF22 Raptor

It would seem wasteful to dump it after all that investment.

And then there's this asshole...
phobiaphobe is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2005, 8:27 PM
 
abtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-05-2001
Location: Murder City, Michigan
Age: 69
Posts: 8,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39
                 
Re: YF22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
It would seem wasteful to dump it after all that investment.
Welcome to military aircraft development in the U.S.

I have a set of "Bomber trading cards" showing about 20 major SS bombers developed over the past 35 years that never made it past 2 or 3 prototype units. Most cost over 15 billion each to develop before being scrapped before production. Several took so long to develop that they were obsolete by the time they had a working test prototype.

and your girlfriend too.
abtech is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2005, 8:34 PM
MSF Ridercoach
 
Getsome's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-2005
Location: Bristol, TN
Age: 45
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
           
Send a message via MSN to Getsome
Re: YF22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
We lost the competition. We were ahead at every milestone the DOD asked us for. On paper and in performance our plane was far superior to the Lock Mart's entry. Problem was our plane was ugly. It was dubbed "Monica" for it's gaping open mouth for the intake system. So because it was ugly and determined by certain military circles that Boeing had an unaffair amount of military aircraft contracts, Lock Mart would close their division if they lost, the DOD gave it to Lock Mart. Hardly matters anymore. All the skuttlebutt lately points to the scraping of both the JSF and the F-22. So we'll see.
It sucks that Boeing lost that contract. They brought their JSF simulator to our hanger and our pilots and maintenance people got to mess with it alot for a couple days. The thing would have been bad ass if it had been allowed to be produced..

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
[GySgt Daniel J."Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-'le-Bocage as he led the Fifth Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]
Getsome is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
 
phobiaphobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-23-2004
Location: Omnipresent
Age: 37
Posts: 11,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43
                     
Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: YF22 Raptor

Not unlike what Diefenbaker did to the Avro Arrow in Canada in the 50's.

http://www.exn.ca/FlightDeck/Aircraf.../avroarrow.cfm
Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Welcome to military aircraft development in the U.S.

I have a set of "Bomber trading cards" showing about 20 major SS bombers developed over the past 35 years that never made it past 2 or 3 prototype units. Most cost over 15 billion each to develop before being scrapped before production. Several took so long to develop that they were obsolete by the time they had a working test prototype.





And then there's this asshole...

Last edited by phobiaphobe; 08-07-2005 at 12:29 PM.
phobiaphobe is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome