The Owens saga thread...(2005 version) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
TAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
The Owens saga thread...(2005 version)

One one hand, TO sucks.
On the other hand, he's simply a GREAT football player - one of the top three or four in the league at his position, and obviously a superstar on the football field.

Recap (for future generations of .org'ers?):
Terrell Owens, at the time of this writing under contract to the Philadelphia Eagles - set a team record with fourteen touchdown catches in the 2004 sesaon. Made a miraculous recovery from a badly broken ankle to play in the Super Bowl just eight weeks after sustaining the injury. An incredible talent. And an incredible asshat.

Although there were fears Owens would hold out before the 2005 season with hopes of forcing the Eagles management to re-negotiate his seven year, $49 million contract (with which he's suddenly unhappy after fulfilling just one year of the deal), Owens did in fact report to training camp on time. However, tensions were high, and Owens refused to speak with his coaches and teammates. After reportedly skipping a SECOND autograph session during camp, head coach Andy Reid called Owens into his office for a meeting. During this meeting it is said that Andy Reid told Owens to "shut up" (which, although slightly unprofessional, is within Reid's rights as a coach). Not too surprising that someone would feel that TO should shut up, either. In any case, Owens replied with words to the effect of "I'm not your child; you don't tell me to shut up; YOU shut up." Well, that was enough for Andy; TO was ordered to leave camp, suspended for ten days. The media circus chased TO to his New Jersey home, where TO played ringmaster and freakshow spectacle, shooting hoops and doing shirtless situps and arm curls in his front yard, to the amazement/delight/disgust of the substantial crowds that heard the circus was in town.

Sentiment around the country is that TO needs to shut up and play football, and that he should honor the contract he signed just one year ago.

What a shame - for a man with that much ability to act like a 13 year old who thinks he's above the team and everyone else. What an embarassment, to himself, and perhaps even to the game. In a true team sport, there is just no room for a ME person like Owens. Speculation is that even if the Eagles released him, he wouldn't get the money he's demanding anywhere else because no NFL organization would want a guy like this. But I think otherwise - I think that SOMEONE will be willing to make a deal with the devil for a shot at a ring; that TO could get a one year deal for big bucks. Further speculation is that he'd like to play for Atlanta (which is where his primary residence is). If THAT happened, ATL would surely become a favorite to (go deep) into the postseason (if Owens didn't manage to destroy the team in his fervor to have the spotlight at every waking moment). Could he cope in a town where Vick is the man? He can't seem to cope in Philly, where "five" is the fans' first love.

I admit it: I'm a broken-hearted Eagles fan. I mean, no one is surprised that this happened...we knew signing TO meant something like this was inevitable. We just hoped we'd see a Super Bowl victory before it happened. I guess it's not to be - even if he decides to buck up and play this season (the Eagles reportedly have said they will NOT trade or release him; they'd sooner allow him "to rot" at home), I just can't imagine the tension will allow the offensive production to be anything like it was in the 2004 season. (Todd Pinkston is lost for the year with an injury, and Freddie Mitchell was not re-signed, so the starting three wideouts will be Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen and rookie Reggie Brown. Anyone outside of Philly ever heard of any of those three guys?)

Owens and his agent have been complaining that he's not one of the top-paid wideouts in the NFL, and that they just want what TO deserves (an ass-kicking?). I heard information to the contrary (about the salary, not the ass-kicking) on the radio - that TO's $12 million salary over the first two years of the contract puts him in the top five - and his average yearly take over his seven year contract is $7 million. Not the highest in the league, but certainly that figure puts his salary "among the top receivers", and more than enough to "feed his family", as he complained he was concerned about earlier this spring. And you might argue that TO doesn't deserve top money because he's such a distraction and a negative influence on the team.
(How much of a discount should the Eagles get for having to put up with this crap?)

Does anyone have the facts on salaries for wide receivers? Not that it's really the point, but people should know whether or not he has a valid case.

The fact is, the Eagles aren't likely to re-do the contract, trade him, or release him. And they're not going to allow him to be a distraction; they will simply de-activate him and let him think about it. And that would be a shame, because the game would be without one of its greatest spectacles.

Stay tuned. This story isn't over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 9:46 AM

Reputation Power: 32

Re: The Owens saga thread...(2005 version)

All you have to do is look at the Patriots as an example of a TEAM that doesn't necessarily need superstar me-first players without an ounce of humility (like TO), to see what it really takes to become Super Bowl champs. I think the idea of him going to Atlanta would definitely boost their playoff hopes, but he would ultimately wind up being the same whining selfish brat that he has been in Philly and SF. If you recall, he balked at going to the Ravens so he could play with his buddy McNabb in Philadelphia. So much for that.

Here is a list of the 2004 WR salaries, along with links to the other positions:
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=4

Last edited by OSIRIS; 08-13-2005 at 11:30 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 3:50 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

So, I guess it's football season again huh?

Why bother? We're gonna win again anyway.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
We're gonna win again anyway.
Recent history says it's hard to bet against the Patriots. But do it again? Not this year.

And be careful what you wish for, or the rest of the country will end up hating New England like they hate the Cowboys. (although there's not much to dislike about the Patriots...first class all the way, and like bwhip said - no selfish idiots like Terrell Owens on that squad.)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2005, 11:29 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

It's a free country, people can hate NE if they like.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2005, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Phuck T.O. He is a selfish piece of shiat. That is all.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2005, 9:41 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator
Phuck T.O. He is a selfish piece of shiat. That is all.
And according to bwhips link...he's the second highest in total salary
post #8 of 10 Old 08-14-2005, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRIS
And according to bwhips link...he's the second highest in total salary
And I would take all four WRs above him in base salary before him in a heartbeat. The one WR above him in total salary is by FAR a better player than TO could ever be.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-14-2005, 2:10 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike

well, I for one, have a difference of opinion....For starters, NFL contracts are NOT guaranteed...they are not worth the paper they're written on...remember that...The Eagles can release TO tomorrow, take a hit on their salary cap and not pay him one brown penny....Is that fair? Hell no, it ain't!!! While, I totally disagree with the way TO has gone about asking for more money, bottom line is, he DESERVES it...He is one of the top five players in the NFL(regardless of position) and he deserves to paid as such...He made like 9 million last year, but if you read the fine details, a lot of that money came from escalator clauses for catches, yardage, TD, getting to the playoffs, SB, etc....so....yes, he made $9M last year, but don't be fooled into thinking that was his base salary...He's schedules to make $3.25M in base salary this year...relatively speaking, that BS for a top five player in the NFL....compare his base salary with Peyton Manning(who re-signed and got a $34M signing bonus), Vick(who got a huge signing bonus as well), Favre, Randy Moss or any other superstar player in the NFL....in addition, the Eagles have a reputation for being hard-asses when it comes time to pay players...re-visit the Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Jeremiah Trotter situations...you can even take a look at Cory Simon's situation and even Westbrook's situation....they do this to players on the regular...TO was not even in the top 25 in total salary for the 2004 season...but he's one of the top five players in the league....makes no sense to me....

"Make your next move your best move"

-The King of the South, T.I.-

My BlogSpace
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikMike
...TO was not even in the top 25 in total salary for the 2004 season...but he's one of the top five players in the league....makes no sense to me....
He's a wide receiver - and they're just not paid the same. He was what - second in salary - in 2004 at his position? He MIGHT be the second best wideout in the game (he's top four, for sure).

In a perfect world, he would be paid according to how he produces on the field. If he's the second-best receiver (according to stats, I suppose) in the game, then he should be paid as such. If his average yearly salary is in the bottom part of the top five players at his position - and that's probably right about where he's producing (when not missing games due to broken ankle...) - then he's right about where he should be.

The Eagles' management is REALLY good at this stuff. They have a formula that says they will pay NO player outside of their designated "range" for a given position, and they stick to it. It's what has made them among the most competitive teams for the past five years running, and will keep them there for the next three or four years as well. An eight-year stretch of 11+ wins per season and playoff wins to boot would be a great accomplishment for the front office, and so far they're right on track.

Of course, ask most any Eagles fan, and they'd gladly suffer ten years of crap football for just one Super Bowl victory.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page