Vonage - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Vonage

Looking at getting Vonage...anyone else here got it?

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 2:54 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Vonage

A coworker has had it for a few months now...he loves it
post #3 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 5:10 AM

Reputation Power: 0

yeah I have it. Its pretty good overall but if you are calling long distance sometimes it can be unreliable. I live in asia which means my calls go via a server in the states and that seems to cause a lag and some echo now and again. But calling the states the quality is good and i'm sure if you are just planning on using it for national calls it will do fine.

If you want to make a lot of international calls, then you might find it can be a little unreliable from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 8:28 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Take a long hard look at your 911 call needs, and what they are able to provide before you make it your "only" phone service...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 1:37 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I believe it's a law that all phone lines must be able to dial 911 at any time. Even if you dont have phone service your old phone line will still be hooked to the phone company and you'll always be able to dial 911. At least that's what it's like around here!!

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home beermaking course, and I forgot how to drive?" - Homer J. Simpson
post #6 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedTechRR
I believe it's a law that all phone lines must be able to dial 911 at any time. Even if you dont have phone service your old phone line will still be hooked to the phone company and you'll always be able to dial 911. At least that's what it's like around here!!
True in theory, but not in practice. You can dial it all you want, but it may or may not connect you to emergency services depending on your area. It may instead connect you to a "private" service that advises you to call 911 using an enabled device. Also, the private service may or may not be 24/7.

The key is to understand exactly what you are getting in your area, and balance that with your risk tolerance for not having 911 service...

Not hammering on Vonage or any other service...just pointing out one of the areas to read carefully in your TOS before making choices...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 8:51 PM

i'll come back with a firm answer, I have a friend who works for vonage. Lets get the real answer before you decide not to take this service on. Personally I'd be amazed if the guys at Vonage had not thought of this service.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 9:00 PM

It's easy enough to read on the Vonage website...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #9 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 9:01 PM

and what does it say?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 9:05 PM

A portion...
Quote:
Vonage Provides 911

Because Your Safety Is Important
At Vonage, we want you to have a safe and reliable means of communication in times of emergency. Because your safety is important to us, Vonage's 911 Dialing feature must be activated. To activate 911 Dialing, you'll just have to fill out a short form during the sign up process that tells us your street address. If you are an existing customer, you can activate 911 Dialing from the features section in your web account.
With Vonage's 911 Dialing feature, we use the address you provide to determine the nearest emergency response center and then send your 911 calls to a general number at that center. When the center receives your call, the operator will not have your address and may not have your phone number on hand, so you must provide that information in order to get help. Some local emergency response centers may not have live operators 24 hours a day. If Vonage learns that this is the case, we will send your call to a national emergency calling center instead and a trained agent will contact an emergency center near you to dispatch help.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #11 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

so I got it.

Good point about E911 stuff, they do have quite a bit of rambling about it in their TOS and signup docs. But it's all about savings, heartiness, going back to the simple life...you know how much an ambulance ride costs? what incentive do other family members have NOW to learn CPR and basic life-saving techniques? still think I should sell all my guns? People should really see this as an opportunity to explore more of what life itself has to offer rather then always having to rely on 'the man' to hold us back, keep us dumbed down simpletons away from saving human lives and preventing crime in our hood...just so he can rise to power and hold us back with the next *11 service.

Maybe they should consider hiring Flavor Flav as their spokesperson

either way, my mobile works where I am now, and it's likely going to be used as a second line anyways. So in this instance, it is cool. They do make me fill out a form for my location and I am getting some email I have to send back to them to confirm and activate E911 services for my line. Actually rereading it a little, I don't have to send it back to them - I just have to forward it to 50 of my closest friends and it will work..hmm.

but the service is slick, got the box today at Sams and activated it in all of 14 seconds after getting home. It has alot of cool features and information available on demand, no additional charge for most of the actually useful stuff. Also free calling from Vonage to Vonage no matter what planya got. Not bad, I like it so far, and I have a cool mini-router with blue led's to match my cable modem green leds, Wrouter's yellows, and my speakers reds...bling bling yo.

If you're thinking of getting it, pm me for some useful tips before you purchase a thing, I can make it much less painful for ya and save you a few $$

post #12 of 20 Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to Aychdot Send a message via Yahoo to Aychdot

I don't have Vonage, but I have Charter phone over broadband. If I didn't tell you you wouldn't know. No problems whatsoever.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-15-2005, 10:10 PM

Reputation Power: 50

post #14 of 20 Old 08-16-2005, 1:01 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Rant On... If you don't give a damn about you or your family's safety ignore this......

Date June 13, 2003. Portland, Maine. Today was the day we started the section on Enhanced 911 and EMD in our EMT-Basic course. EMD is Emergency Medical Dispatch which basically means dispatchers trained in Emergency Medical Technician procedureds. They can handle calls on Cardiac arrest, rescue breathing, heimlich meneuver, anaphalactic shock, diabetic emergencies, etc.. and talk the callers thru methods of helping the victims.

Enter stage left, the biggest, brawniest, burliest man you could image. This man has been a career firefighter/paramedic for the past 25 years. He could pick up a school bus if needed.

He begins.....

On August 22, 2000 portland police received a 911 call from a female. She states that her and her 4 year old daughter are involved in a domestic dispute. She has been assaulted with a knife. The dispatcher cannot clearly hear the victim and asks her to speak up. The woman states that she cannot speak much louder because the male suspect is in the other room and she is hiding from him. Dispatch makes out the street name but could not understand the house number. At this time dispatch hears screaming, a male voice yelling and the phone goes dead. Dispatch tries to call back but encounters a busy signal.

The rescue call was dispatched to police and EMS within 90 seconds of the telephone call. The police arrived on the street within 6 minutes. It took 29 minutes from the time of the original call was received til the police arrived at house #413. The police entered the house and found two people, a 29 year old female and a 4 year old girl passed away. It was later determined by the coroner that both would have lived if help would have arrived just 5 minutes sooner. Both had been stabbed and bled to death.

.....Wow, nice story you might be saying. Well, I'll tell you I will never forget this for the rest of my life. As our instructor wrapped up the story, with tears rolling down his cheak, he asked us all to say a short prayer for his sister and his niece.

You may say so what, you may say big deal. Had this town had Enhanced 911, police and ems would have been dispatched within 30 seconds and would have the exact location of their destination. The yould have been on scene within 8 minutes of the original call, not 29. They would have had plenty of time to save both victims. The saddest part is with federal and state funding, any town can get Enhanced 911 implemented for less than they pay for recycling services. It's nice to know our lives are recylable. Yay trees!

If you think your life or that of your family is worth saving the $5 a month on phone service then by all means go ahead and get Vonage but just remember, when you need to use 911, and you will, would you feel ok knowing that your call will be routed to a national 911 hotline where someone may or may not be on duty, and even then they won't know your address unless you tell them. It's up to you! Please be safe brothers and sisters!!!!

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home beermaking course, and I forgot how to drive?" - Homer J. Simpson
post #15 of 20 Old 08-16-2005, 1:41 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

so what exactly is E911? I know my former Verizon Cellphone had E911 emblazoned on the back of it...and it has nothing to do with VoIP tech, I thought it was GPS.

There is a simple solution to this problem, and that is to make the "911" center number available via another ##, which could be programmed in place of "911" at the IP box along with the phone # etc. for that specific local area.

I think it is stupid that technology is adding this as an afterthought and this wasn't added as part of the mandated structure for CIEC/SP's by FCC.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page