I feel horrible - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 9:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

I feel horrible

Its pretty cold here so i put the kids in pjs every night to stay warm. Amber, my 2 yo daughter took her pants and diaper off to go potty. she came back to get her diaper on. i grabbed her arms like i always do, gently and slowly to pick her up and set her on the couch. As i did that she started screaming. She wouldnt move her arm and when i did, she screamed louder.

I took her to the E.R. and i dislocated her elbow, well the tendons in her elbow. The doctor said this is a VERY common thing and not to worry. they set her elbow back and damn was she in a good mood after that, given high fives to all the nurses and asking for a popsicle.

Has anyone else ever done this? She said that they get quite a few a week. I have picked her up like this a million times but the doc said it was probably a combination of me picking her up and her twisting at the right moment.

I'm a bad dad

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: I feel horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen
Its pretty cold here so i put the kids in pjs every night to stay warm. Amber, my 2 yo daughter took her pants and diaper off to go potty. she came back to get her diaper on. i grabbed her arms like i always do, gently and slowly to pick her up and set her on the couch. As i did that she started screaming. She wouldnt move her arm and when i did, she screamed louder.

I took her to the E.R. and i dislocated her elbow, well the tendons in her elbow. The doctor said this is a VERY common thing and not to worry. they set her elbow back and damn was she in a good mood after that, given high fives to all the nurses and asking for a popsicle.

Has anyone else ever done this? She said that they get quite a few a week. I have picked her up like this a million times but the doc said it was probably a combination of me picking her up and her twisting at the right moment.

I'm a bad dad
I haven't done it personally but my pediatrician said it was common. It is definitely no fun taking the little ones to the hospital.

I came here to chew bubble gum and to kick some ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:07 PM

Reputation Power: 27

You are not a bad father for this. Taking them to Bennigans when they were sick.... ? Well I think you know how the board feels about that little fohpah.

Becareful with her though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

bully.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Reputation Power: 20

CHILD ABUSER!!!

Seriously, sounds like nothing bad at all. How could you have known it would happen? Honest mistake. You feel WAY worse when you hurt your baby but she knows you weren't scolding her at the time so it's not as big of a deal right? Buy her a pony and I'm sure she will never remember the incident. It's all about the feelings that are attached with the pain. As long as you weren't REALLY angry with her at the time she probably won't even remember it.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave954
You are not a bad father for this. Taking them to Bennigans when they were sick.... ? Well I think you know how the board feels about that little fohpah.

Becareful with her though.
We didnt know she was sick when we went to bennigans, she was acting normal before she puked, we had no idea, nor did my wives friends there, they thought she was acting normal too.

I wasnt the least bit angry. Just trying to pick her up and set her on the couch to put her diaper on, thats all.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:54 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

It is common. I have heard this is a thing that the ER sees many times per year. As you know their body is still forming for years...

I even remember watching something about it during "baby" classes. Everything will be fine, sorry to hear of this, and her pain. Lift under the pits.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #8 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

No worries I did so much crazy stuff that one time they called the cops at the hospital cause they thought Mom made the story up. Man were they embarassed when I described the exact same thing (chasing the cat and grabbed a pole lamp, which sprung and launched me into the wall). Just be careful Stegan and remember the crashes you had at her age

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

well i cant really remember much at 2. I, honest to god, was worried that they were going to call social services. this is her 2nd time in there. she was standing on a ball hopper and slipped and busted her chin open a few weeks ago. even the doc remembered us.

post #10 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via Yahoo to Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen
well i cant really remember much at 2. I, honest to god, was worried that they were going to call social services.
We had the ER bring in Social Services when my son cut his cheek on his bed. It was a gnarly gash and blood was every where, but he was even saying that he was jumping on his bed, so I guess our stories checked out.

But I blame you, you are a bad father... Just kidding man, it happens with little ones. Boys are worse so be happy that you have a princess...

Never trust a big butt and a smile...
post #11 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Calm down stegen, although I can certainly appreciate your worry and paranoia. Chit happens - just be glad the little one will be OK. And, you've learned a valuable parenting lesson.

Here in Oz
post #12 of 12 Old 09-29-2005, 4:37 AM

Stegen, you're bound to feel guilty. You are..., but it's just one of life's random events.

I used to hate the occasions of taking my children into casualty with injuries, all perfectly normal in growing up, both because you feel guilty as a parent anyway and because the staff would have to question the child to make sure the injuries weren't the result of abuse. One time my elder boy threw a brick in the back garden and hit my daughter on the head while they were playing. On being asked for the second time about how the incident happened, she said: "It was my stupid brother who thought he could throw a brick at next door's cat but wasn't strong enough to get past my head. Can I have an aspirin now?"

Change is as good as a rest!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page