edit: Evaporative Emissions Control System leak..should I care? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

edit: Evaporative Emissions Control System leak..should I care?

As some of you may know the ex and myself aided some Winnebago'd Californians in practicing the P.I.T. maneuver with her parents' 2k4 Hyundai Sonata on our way to Az.

Well 2 months later she is getting a check engine light, she went to Autozone and had it read like a good girl and it came back with EGR system leak (large). I told her go to the dealership - they said the back left corner where we got the lovetap from the 28' Winnie a hose has come off and that is why the code is there.

Dealer cleared the code, told her to come back in a week. Light hasn't been back on.

My whole thing is - anyone know how critical this is on todays cars? It's one thing I have never really been familiar with, aside from ripping it off my CA model KLR650 over the winter. It was just a bunch of confusing plumbing to me though

Is this something that will show up on inspection time as horrid emissions, kill mileage, do damage to her engine or cat, or what exactly?

The only thing I can surmise is that since the left rear is where the damage is (very minor at that) and that is also where her gas filler is, there is now maybe some tensed line there that gave way...although the incident did not actually affect the material in/around the gas filler neck/door at all.

help

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Re: edit: Evaporative Emissions Control System leak..should I care?

sidenote: I also think the dealer saw the left rear corner of the car, noticed it was a customer with breasts and said "uh yeah, problems definetely back there where the damage is"

She said they did poke around under the hood but <1 minute, and no one looked under the car that she could see. They did poke around in the trunk but 'couldn't see what they needed to' in the window of time they had.
funny, I had to repin some of the trunk lining because of the crash...now they don't have the time to remove it?

post #3 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 2:10 AM

Reputation Power: 0

It is pretty much just for containing vapor emissions and such. I doubt it does anything to help/hurt performance, but I doubt you can remove it without a huge hassle. Not to mention it would not meet the visual inspection of a smog check or inspection if your state has those. A whole slew of sensors are hooked to that check engine light, you would not want to be running around with it on all the time because if a serious fault came up, you would never know. My 2K3 Tundra will set off the emissions idiot light if you turn the ignition with the gas cap off, so the idea that an impact tweaked a hose or seal on something is very likley. BTW, you can often reset the engine light yourself by disconnecting your battery for 10 minuts or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 2:22 AM

Reputation Power: 20

EGR system leak will fail emissions testing if your area has it. My EGR (aka secondary Injection pump for VW) valve threw a light. The system from what I understand is ONLY for emission control. With my car, the EGR valve pumps in air to dilute the exhaust fumes before expelling out the tailpipe. What's even more fustrating is that the system only kicks in during cold starts, and doesn't last for more than 5 minutes max (or was that 5 seconds....). Anyway, I'm still trying to find the root cause of why my light is on. Common problems are anything from leak in hose, the valve broken (and therefore cannot release the pressure), relay switch that triggers the mechanical parts to function, bad wires that's screwing up the relay switch, or the worst, air pump not working (rare).

Oh yeah, I HIGHLY doubt it's the damage from the rear.

Good luck.

Be fast or be last.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 8:20 AM

You won't be able to pass an emissions test without the system working properly. It won't hurt performance but the light will definitely come back on. I don't know where the EGR system is on the Hyundai but I've never seen one that was attached to the exhaust system anywhere near the trunk.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiliat
EGR system leak will fail emissions testing if your area has it. My EGR (aka secondary Injection pump for VW) valve threw a light. The system from what I understand is ONLY for emission control. With my car, the EGR valve pumps in air to dilute the exhaust fumes before expelling out the tailpipe. What's even more fustrating is that the system only kicks in during cold starts, and doesn't last for more than 5 minutes max (or was that 5 seconds....). Anyway, I'm still trying to find the root cause of why my light is on. Common problems are anything from leak in hose, the valve broken (and therefore cannot release the pressure), relay switch that triggers the mechanical parts to function, bad wires that's screwing up the relay switch, or the worst, air pump not working (rare).

Oh yeah, I HIGHLY doubt it's the damage from the rear.

Good luck.
It has nothing to do with the EGR. EGR is a differant system. Its Secondary air injection system only. Not an EGR pump. Its only meant to run when cold during cold start enrichment to burn unburned fuel entering the exhaust. You may want to check the vacuum lines from the valve on the back of the cylinder head for it. They get hot and crack. You'll see where it comes from a soliniod that the ECM controls and then fron a vacumm source at the intake.

Last edited by CBR Riding Fool; 10-06-2005 at 11:16 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 11:10 AM

For starters, Its not the EGR system your discribing. Its the Evap that has the leak if there looking near the back of the car around the filler neck. Its part of OBD2 emissions for check for pressure loss in the evap system to monitor leaks which can let fuel vapors aka hydrocarbons out into the air instead of being burn by the engine for cleaner emissions. If you post the actual code they gave you I can look it up and give you more info.

Last edited by CBR Riding Fool; 10-06-2005 at 11:17 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 11:18 AM

Reputation Power: 50

EGR adds fresh air to your exhaust to help the catalytic converters burn up any unburnt fuel that is passing through there...
post #9 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 8:09 AM

why do you care? she is your ex
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
why do you care? she is your ex

She told me the same thing when I sent you those goodies for the L back in the day

I think the Riding Fool has it - I remember talking to autozone chick third party and taking EGR from the conversation, but seem to remember looking up the error code for something different. I could be off, but I think the code was/or close to:

P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)

I just remember it was large leak and evaporative that the code had and the above is the closest thing. They did reset the light and oddly it's back on as of today.

post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 9:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

and btw thanks, I appreciate the assistance

post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
EGR adds fresh air to your exhaust to help the catalytic converters burn up any unburnt fuel that is passing through there...
thats the air injection. EGR adds burnt exhaust gases into yout intake to lower combustion chamber temps to lower NOX emissions.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
She told me the same thing when I sent you those goodies for the L back in the day

I think the Riding Fool has it - I remember talking to autozone chick third party and taking EGR from the conversation, but seem to remember looking up the error code for something different. I could be off, but I think the code was/or close to:

P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)

I just remember it was large leak and evaporative that the code had and the above is the closest thing. They did reset the light and oddly it's back on as of today.
Then need to inspect the evap sytem and look for a cracked, or loose hose, Sticking evap valve, even a loose gas cap can cause that.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Riding Fool
thats the air injection. EGR adds burnt exhaust gases into yout intake to lower combustion chamber temps to lower NOX emissions.
Yeah yeah, I knew it was something like that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page