Extreme RC - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 3:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Re: Extreme RC

RC Airplane

Model Airplane Enthusiasts Claim Record
Tue Aug 12, 6:24 PM ET

By JACK GARLAND, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - It didn't fly high and it didn't fly swiftly, but The Spirit of Butts Farm made it all the way from Canada to Ireland with a few drops of fuel to spare, a group of model airplane enthusiasts say.

They are hoping for a distance record for the flight of 38 hours, 23 minutes over 1,888.3 miles by a model plane that weighed just 11 pounds when it took off from Newfoundland.

For Dave Brown, who was at the controls for Monday's landing at Marrin Beach in County Galway, it was a great moment.

'A great cheer went up when we saw it, and four minutes later I landed it in the field. It was so thrilling,' Brown said in a telephone interview.

The balsa wood-and-mylar plane was designed by retired engineer Maynard Hill, 77, of Silver Spring, Md. He launched it from Cape Spear, Newfoundland, on Saturday night.

The nearly 6-foot-long craft was packed with instruments that sent telemetry back to mission control and helped guide the plane. Once in sight of the Irish coast, the plane came back under human control for landing.

Brown, president of American Academy of Model Aeronautics, said he flew to Ireland to handle the landing. Hill kept in touch by telephone from Newfoundland.

'At one point our instruments began telling us the aircraft was inexplicably dipping up and down 100 feet at a time, and then we lost contact of it,' he said.

'We thought it only had fuel for 37 hours and we were saying that if it gets there it would get there by pure will, and by God it did.

'There was even about a shot-glass of gasoline left in the tank.'

About 50 spectators met the aircraft.

If the flight is certified by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale, it could set world records for distance traveled by a model airplane and duration of flight.

The federation's assistant secretary-general, Thierry Montigneaux, said from Lausanne, Switzerland, that the modelers had seven days to give notice of their record claims and 120 days to submit a dossier of evidence.

Joe Dible, president of the Model Aeronautics Council of Ireland, said he notified the federation by e-mail. He was at the field where The Spirit of Butts Farm landed.

'It's very exciting for me, and it was an unbelievable achievement,' Dible said.

Brown said when Maynard first mentioned 10 years ago his plan to fly a model plane across the Atlantic, 'I have to admit that at first I thought he was daffy.

'But I've since learnt that he is not the kind of guy you tell he can't do something to,' Brown said.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 4:21 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I can see that plane hitting eBay and generating $20g's
post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 4:28 PM

Reputation Power: 20

...and I can see swarms of them being cheaply manufactured and guided to their targets. With that sort of cost, endurance, and a practically undetectable radar signature...

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 9:01 PM

Reputation Power: 18

It's already being done.

Ray
'04 CBR1000RR red/black
'04 CRF 50
'03 RC-51
'03 F4i (track bike in progress)
'93 Black Lightning
'70 Mustang
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2003, 9:04 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
soniccbr : It's already being done.
I know it's being done by us, what worries me is that maybe it can be done by them.

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2003, 1:21 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I don't know how many of you are into RC, flying or cars/trucks, but I did both for about 5 years. At one point, I had (2) 1/3 scale Carden Extra 300's, (1) 1/4 scale Cap 232 and 3 or 4 60 size Caps, Extras and Citabrias. What an awesome feeling doing the aerobatic patterns and such.

As for cars, at one point, I had 15 of them. (2) Losi XXT, (2) Losi XX, (1) Losi StreetWeapon, (2) Losi XX4, (1) Clodbuster, (2) Wood's 1/10 Oval Cars, (2) 1/12 scale (road course and oval), (1) HPI MT and (1) Mugen 1/8 scale off-road, 4wd gas buggy. I ran mostly dirt, but soon got turned on to oval and then got addicted to road course. I plan on getting back into the dirt racing scene with my son in a few months.

RC is a blast, the initial cost is a little high, but once you have everything, you spend next to nothing unless you are an upgrade junkie. Even the Traxxis monster trucks are fun.

As for the flying record just set, all I can say is WOW!

TANK

www.tank69.com
post #7 of 9 Old 08-14-2003, 12:46 PM

I did both, back in JR and High school. Still have alot of my stuff but that way 10 years ago...

Ray
'04 CBR1000RR red/black
'04 CRF 50
'03 RC-51
'03 F4i (track bike in progress)
'93 Black Lightning
'70 Mustang
post #8 of 9 Old 08-14-2003, 7:10 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I used to do RC Cars way back (like 10 yrs ago)....I shoulda stayed with it...neighbor is the editor now at www.rc411.com.

Nice flying record though!, thats hella long
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2003, 7:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Holeshot

I used to be way into it (maily 2m and larger gliders and cars). *All of my gear is so old I'd be tossed out of any club in a heartbeat. *But it sure is fun. * Maybe I'll get back into it with those RC motorcycles. *Those things are BadAzz!

Oh, if you have not checked them out...
RC Bikes

For those that don't like to read.. here is the movie:
Video clip

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page