2006 Civic - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 4:46 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

2006 Civic

Took one for a drive today, just the high/low points tossed in here for good measure:

- new dash layout is awesome and gives the feel of much more space and provides viewable area in front of the car. The 'inline' appearance of it becomes almost holographic because the depth of field of two different gauge pods.

-engine hp upgrade is a nice plus, doesen't require nearly as much wringing now and almost has lowend (for a 4, its pretty nice). This is also much nicer because its quiet.

-suspension is a far cry from the Civics of old. Though still no double wishbone, the handling is tack sharp.

-4 wheel discs finally too, and they are silky and burly all at the same time = ask the dealer to take that protective plastic off the seats before you test drive it or you'll regret it

-Spacious interior! i never thought I'd say this about a Civic, but whatever kind of ergo engineering they did to it, getting in that and my Moms accord (coupe) is very similar. Before you could tell the difference, and you're still getting down lower - but the room is there inside the car. Also has a pretty big trunk and a backseat that I could ride to NJ in if I had to. Though I do not think your shocks would appreciate it.

-location of the shifter/ebrake is pretty cool now as well. No reaching involved and it felt like the 5spd had a really short throw. Unfortunately its still FWD so it has linkages and bushings that give a little rubbery feel, but the snickety-ness is still there.

-also has that 40mpg rating now too

-drivers side window has express upanddown, and the drivers side switch has knurls on it so you can ID it from the others with ease.

Downsides:
-engine bay is now smaller, doesen't look too too bad - but good luck reaching anywhere behind the block. The backside of the head is now inline with the edge of the bodywork /windshield..sorta like your favorite astrovan.
Though as usual everything else is pretty easy to get to and despite the weird crunch that occured, it is somewhat 'spacious' in and around the components, you at least have enough room to get your hands where they need to be for belts,fluids,filters and such.
-oval: some of the switches and junk are now oval...not all, just some - but they look weird to me.
-the trunk badging and the word civic look weird to me too.
-it doesn't have a bed like the ridgeline, so I cannot buy it.

On the plus side, ridgelines are invoice now, and there are some to-dealer incentives

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 4:51 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Re: 2006 Civic

Good write-up SSG (registered trademark my azz... ) Until very recently I was planning to buy another 4WD (probably Toyota again) after I move. But with gas prices what they are, and being much higher there, I'm now thinking about the 40 MPG cars available. I have much research to do.

Here in Oz
post #3 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 4:55 PM

Reputation Power: 22

I was considering a new civic till I heard that it was the Si that was 200 hp. I still wouldnt mind a civic but the wife (again) thinks they are ugly as hell.

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 5:04 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Civics are great cars. Excellent MPG. But why can't the engineers put the dam oil filter in the front like the VW's & toyota's
post #5 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 5:16 PM

Reputation Power: 29

oldgoat, although you're probably talking about sedans, I must say that my Tacoma oil filter is in a "special" spot. Have to go in through the left side front wheel well with a couple of ratchet extensions. Heaven forbid if you drop that puppy - lost down onto the skid plate - don't ask me how I know. OK SSG, your thread is yours again.

Here in Oz
post #6 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 7:17 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Oldgoat you'd be delighted to know that the Accords have the filter in an easily accesible spot, the civ it's just put on the block...but has always been nicely accessible from the drivers side of the car with the wheels turned to the right. I kinda thought it cool you didnt need to have a jack to do the change.

Baccy - on the new Tacomas its front and center (no joke) they actually used a remote mount filter and a nice little drain dealy so you can do a nearly dripless oil change.

On my CRF its a nice little plug on either side of the bike - no more junk on the bottom to snag on rocks or remove my skidplate for neither

Steg - The wife thinks a Civic is ugly but an STi is hot....until she sees the gas bill. She'd probably rather you get a H2 or something economical then

post #7 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 9:52 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I've seen a coupe and a sedan version so far. Only saw the rear of the sedan, and it was dark but it looked pretty good. The sedan was OK. Looked like a previous gen Acura CL(I think?) but IMO there's good potential for aftermarket body kits there
post #8 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Gotta say this is the first time H has produced a coupe I actually like better then the sedan (in stock or non-typeR trim). I almost bought a CL-s a few years ago till I realized a TL-s would be coming out.

But I ended up buying a Tacoma anyways

post #9 of 43 Old 10-16-2005, 10:47 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Cool car, I'd love to own one, but I'm still a little sad that Honda has gotten away from their traditional philosophies of what makes a great driver's car; Northern's 'Lude (though probably not as quick as this new SI) represents the pinnacle of those philosophies IMO.

And then there's this asshole...

Last edited by phobiaphobe; 10-17-2005 at 10:17 AM.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-18-2005, 8:31 PM

Reputation Power: 18

A guy I work with just bought a new Civic 4door auto. Hes saving $100 a month by buying the Civic for his wife and parking her Nissan Armada. The Nissan was using that much gas.

Nerve rackin' sons a.......
post #11 of 43 Old 10-18-2005, 9:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

If Nissan's word holds true, they are going to sell an assload of these starting next year:
http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/n...64/photos.html#
I may have to give in and buy a Nissan for a sporty efficient daily driver - pending final engine and mileage info.
post #12 of 43 Old 10-18-2005, 9:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
Cool car, I'd love to own one, but I'm still a little sad that Honda has gotten away from their traditional philosophies of what makes a great driver's car; Northern's 'Lude (though probably not as quick as this new SI) represents the pinnacle of those philosophies IMO.
I think that you are right Phobe...I love to drive my car, although it may not be the fastest around(ask anyone who has been in one) It handles very nice(soon to be better), although the ultimate drivers honda...Integra type R or S2000.

Those cars are a far cry from the "norm" that honda has fallen into as of late. When was the last time that honda stirred up the pot with a gotta have vehicle? ala nissan 350Z or even the latest fro that camp, the SKYLINE

Honda has been too long over due for this little makeover IMO, when you get dusted by a corolla in a civic you know that something needs to get changed

Canada post has came and gone, now they are coming again ...
post #13 of 43 Old 10-18-2005, 9:43 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
If Nissan's word holds true, they are going to sell an assload of these starting next year:
I may have to give in and buy a Nissan for a sporty efficient daily driver - pending final engine and mileage info.
Looks like a Focus that got humped by a Quest. I like it
post #14 of 43 Old 10-20-2005, 9:06 AM

The versa is not likely to sway many away from the scion tc, what with only 120 h.p. That ain't exactly exceptional for a 1.8 ltr., though torque figures may be somewhat competive with the tc.
post #15 of 43 Old 10-20-2005, 9:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
Whoa! Daddy like!

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page