Picture Printing Problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 5:37 PM Thread Starter
MSF Ridercoach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via MSN to Getsome
Picture Printing Problem

Having some picture printing issues that maybe one of you can tell me what the hell I am doing wrong.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R320 printer..

For my example I did this today.

I printed the Nicky at Laguna picture I got from Jewfzr on an 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper. It came out beautiful, redy to be framed and put on the wall.

Next I printed a picture of my dad and my son taken while we were on vacation and it turned out all digitized looking. I am taking all my pictures on a nikon coolpix 3200. everything is saved at 3.2 megapixels and I have printed some pictures out before that looked just fine at 4x6 and 8x10 but now it seems everything it soming out looking like crap.

I know for sure the printer si fine since I printed out the Nicky picture and it looks great. So is my resolution on the camera not high enough or think matybe I fubar'd a setting on the printer or something.? I am using the Nikon View software that came with the camera for simple red eye reduction and the like but the picture I tried printing today was in it's original form with nothing done to it except transferring it to my computer from the sd card.

Throw any ideas you have at me.. I have a bunch of real nice photos from the summer I want to print and really want this figured out.

Thanks

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
[GySgt Daniel J."Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-'le-Bocage as he led the Fifth Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 5:44 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Re: Picture Printing Problem

I would say either your printer setting reverted back to a lower res, or your camera was set on a lower res when you took the pic. Every time I print I verify my printer properties before I hit the print button.

04 600RR
post #3 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 7:28 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Great use of alliteration

And then there's this asshole...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 7:42 PM Thread Starter
MSF Ridercoach

I check the printer properties before every print for pictures. Making sure it is set for the photo picture and quality setting is at best photo.

I checked the camera and it is still as always set to it's highest quality setting as well. Maybe I am forgetting something in the Nikon View program that makes some sort of change. Ughh.. I printed a bunch the day I hooked up the damn printer and then didn't do any for a few months and now I can't get any of them to look right. THink I might just shoot the printer...

[GySgt Daniel J."Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-'le-Bocage as he led the Fifth Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]
post #5 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 8:06 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Don't shoot it. Do the recalibration for the heads first.

The only other question I would ask is how was the lighting around the subject? Sounds crazy but if mine doesn't get just the right amount of surrounding lighting the pictures look decent on screen and print like scheisse on my Canon i960.

PS I'm not an expert.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 8:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

Printing is an art all in itself and the cause of much frustration and cursing of photographers around the planet.

The easiest and most efficient way to print photos is through Photoshop. Do you have it? I think PaintShop Pro has similar functions as well but I rarely use it so I'm not sure.
The tool you need to use is called the Crop Tool. Set it to your desired image size, ie: 4x6, 6x9, 8x10 etc etc and then set the dpi to 300. You'll get a lot of different suggestions on dpi but 300 is a "safe" number. Sometimes, 150-250 works just as well.
If everything is looking pixelated or digitized you probably tried to print and image at 72dpi which will give you nothing but crap.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 9:20 PM Thread Starter
MSF Ridercoach

OK guess I will have to buy photoshop cause with what I have here it seem sI am not going to get anywhere. just seems wierd that i can print the one pic i got from jewfzr and then open up one of my camera pics right after and get a shitty print. it's all pixelated like you mentioned. then i open another pic i got from jason and it prints out pretty as can be.

alrighty then, off to find out how much photoshop is gonna cost me.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 9:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

It all depends on what the resolution of those photos are. Maybe the ones that you printed out were already scaled up....?

Photoshop is pricey. Very pricey. You should be able to get away with Photoshop Elements though which is cheaper...

You can also check out ACDSee for about $50 and do the same thing.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 9:28 PM

Reputation Power: 39

The built in image viewer in Windows XP does a GREAT job of doing prints. I use it.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
The built in image viewer in Windows XP does a GREAT job of doing prints. I use it.
No kidding? I never even though of using that before. hmmm....

post #11 of 11 Old 10-17-2005, 9:40 PM Thread Starter
MSF Ridercoach

Ok, what I have just proved to myself is the software that comes with the camera is junk. The XP viewer printed out perfectly.. And I have already put in a bid on Photoshop elements just to have it and see what it can do for me... I came to a revelation after I got this last picture to print out nicely. When I first hooked up the printer I used the software that came with the printer to print those initial pictures out which would explain why I was able to do them well. I have been trying to use the nikon software the last couple times and it doesn't have really **** for options.

My mind just wasn't agreeing with me enough tonight to get this figured out so thanks for the help.. I need sleep...lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page