First bike purchase video - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-14-2003, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: First bike purchase video

Great little vid, it had me laughing hard

The vid: http://homepage.mac.com/ptrauber/iMovieTheater19.html

Found here:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin....;t=7702

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-14-2003, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

How does nayone over there survive to buy their 2nd bike ?

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #3 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 8:46 AM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Great video.
It always struck me as interesting that M/C dealerships (at least in my experience here in the US) are neither responsible for confirming even the most basic rider ability nor more interested in the safety of their customers. I guess if I was trying to run a business, I would do what had to be done, but I'm sure my concern that people would get hurt - or worse - would weigh heavily on me.

I believe most shops accept a driver's license that has an 'M' endorsement as 'enough'. I'm sure there are countless stories of guys who wrecked brand-new bikes within minutes (or less) of leaving the dealership for the first time. I know I've heard of many from even our local shop. That would be an interesting continuation of the 'Buying my SV' video thread...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 8:47 AM

Reputation Power: 39

None of the times I've bought street bikes has the dealer asked to see my license...
post #5 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 8:56 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Yeah, come to think of it, no dealer has ever asked to see my MC endorsement either. I do know of a couple of dealerships who will attempt to steer a new rider away from a modern sportbike. I think one will even outright refuse the sale. But for most of them, it's money and they aren't going to turn down a sale.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 9:03 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I liked the classic put-gloves-on-before-helmet routine... I still do that every now and then

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #7 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to HondaGal

I've had dealers ask for a copy of my license. It was after the paperwork was signed and the check presented to them only for the purpose of tracking me down if the check bounces.

But, there's always been a 'get to know you' conversation when they try to get a feel for your riding experience before talking about which bike to purchase. I was never asked for my license as proof. This is wtih 2 different dealers, one of whom told me that he won't sell a bike to someone who they feel is 'in over their head' on a bike...like a newbie on a Gixxer1k.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 10:26 AM
TAZ

This brings up another point:
Is it LEGAL for a retailer to refuse a sale based on his personal opinion (warranted or not) of a person's ability to handle the item being purchased? Maybe that's why more shops don't do it...?
post #9 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 10:34 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
TAZ : This brings up another point:
Is it LEGAL for a retailer to refuse a sale based on his personal opinion (warranted or not) of a person's ability to handle the item being purchased? Maybe that's why more shops don't do it...?
Um, I would think so. I think a dealer refusing to sell an 18 year old a Busa would hold up in court, the kid could kill himself as soon as he got out of the parking lot. Don't businesses have the right to refuse sale? I used to see that sign in many businesses.

22 days until it begins...
post #10 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 10:41 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

That was pretty good!

I have been asked to show my motorcycle operators licence with every bike I have bought.

I remember when I bought my first 'street' bike, brand new 97 F3, and I trucked it home, because I wanted to stall without anyone looking! LOL I never stalled it though...but all the years of dirt bikes I think broke me in!

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #11 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 10:44 AM
TAZ

Quote:
booth23 : ...I think a dealer refusing to sell an 18 year old a Busa would hold up in court, the kid could kill himself as soon as he got out of the parking lot. *Don't businesses have the right to refuse sale? *I used to see that sign in many businesses.
These days, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would sue a dealer for discrimination or something should they refuse a sale. I wonder if there is a legal precedent for this?
post #12 of 18 Old 08-15-2003, 10:50 AM

Reputation Power: 21

I'm sure if a dealer refused to sell someone a particular bike, that person would become argumentative, thereby giving the dealer grounds to ask the person to leave the store.
But these days I wouldn't put it past anyone to sue rather than taking their business elsewhere.

GIT-R-DONE
post #13 of 18 Old 08-16-2003, 2:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

I have always been asked to show my motorcycle license as proof when buying here in Aus. Having a full licens emeans you have been riding for at least 1 year and 3 months.

Mind you, there are still plenty of stories of people dropping bikes within sight of the dealer.

One particular dealer in Sydney, who sells Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda, was known to have an 'honor roll' for people who dropped their brand new R1 by the first corner - this was in about 1998 or whenever the R1 was let loose, and every 'just got my full license' bike rider wanted one. The list was reported to have about 40 names on it over a year.

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #14 of 18 Old 08-16-2003, 6:25 AM

My first bike was a brand new '95 F3, I picked up at the dealer with my motorcycle permit in hand and the permit only requires a written test. I had never been on any type of bike and I even asked the salesman to explain to me where the controls were located, I don't remember them even giving me any type of warning when I rode off.

post #15 of 18 Old 08-16-2003, 8:22 AM

Reputation Power: 28

Quote:
ConqSoft : None of the times I've bought street bikes has the dealer asked to see my license...
Think of how many sales they might lose were they to self impose a 'no license, no sale' protocol. Or a 'no insurance, no sale' rule either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page