Free 1970 Impala - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Free 1970 Impala

I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I've kinda made my mind up already but I'm curious to hear what others here say.

About 10 years ago my dad bought a beat-up 1970 Impala convertible. Over the years he's been slowly fixing it up; mostly horse-trading computers for autobody and engine work. The body is all redone, (Ferrari red) the engine is re-built (10.5:1 350CI orange block) and there are new replacement parts for just about everything, including a new ragtop.

The car has been sitting in his quonset for the last 3 years, in pieces, untouched. It's almost fully restored, just needs to be put back together. It isn't really super-collectible, but it would make a great summer cruiser.

Dad's going through a sort of common-law divorce with his gf of 15 years and he wants to sell his acreage and get rid of the car. He wants my brother and I to take it off his hands (free) on the condition that we have it back together within 6 months. Though he's not too terribly attached to the car, he doesn't want it sold off as is.

If this were happening 10-15 years from now, I'd probably be in a better position to take it on, but I just don't have the money, time, or garage for a project like that. Haven't talked to my brother about it yet, but he works in the bush for weeks at a time, and also wouldn't have the time or space. I'm assuming he doesn't really want it either.

My old man thinks of this as a sort of "early inheritance" but I just see it as being a burden.

And then there's this asshole...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 12:18 AM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: Free 1970 Impala

Sounds like a burden. What's his address?

Seriously, based on your new place, and what I assume your finances are like after buying it, that is not a gift, that is a boat anchor.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #3 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

I'm with LTL, sans quonset knowledge.

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 3:05 AM

Reputation Power: 24

"Free" usualy means it costs you way more than it ever should. I would politley pass.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 7:52 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Tell him the car is really cool but you don't have the spare dollars nor a place to properly put it together therefore he should give it to someone that can treat it proper.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 8:28 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee

Yea, just tell him the truth. You'd love to take it, but you just aren't in a stage of life to be able to do what he wants yet. It sucks and you are really disapointed about it, but that's life.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse
post #7 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 8:57 AM

Reputation Power: 27

DUDE, get on the DISCOVERY channel website and have Foose boost the car and redo it.

Sucks that your dad has to liquidate his assets cause of what is going on with the common law thing. Cali has its faults but, there is no common law here. Hmmmm, gives me an idea.

Seriously, take some pics, make a vid and send it in. What have you got to lose?

Have your dad give you the car as a gift through DMV. Have it restored, then give it back to him.

THAT, would be awesome.... Don't let something like that get away from you guys.

And again it sucks, LAWS need to be rewritten and get this crap fixed about the MAN always gettin' screwed.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 9:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

What the hell is a quonset?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 9:53 AM

You guys really don't know what a quonset hut is?

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1278.htm

...in bed.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #10 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave954
DUDE, get on the DISCOVERY channel website and have Foose boost the car and redo it.

Sucks that your dad has to liquidate his assets cause of what is going on with the common law thing. Cali has its faults but, there is no common law here. Hmmmm, gives me an idea.

Seriously, take some pics, make a vid and send it in. What have you got to lose?

Have your dad give you the car as a gift through DMV. Have it restored, then give it back to him.

THAT, would be awesome.... Don't let something like that get away from you guys.

And again it sucks, LAWS need to be rewritten and get this crap fixed about the MAN always gettin' screwed.
Foose... now that would be awesome. Ya the laws are shitty. Her lawyer handed him a demand letter saying it would cost 50 grand to break up with her.

Last edited by phobiaphobe; 11-01-2005 at 11:35 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
What the hell is a quonset?
Kind of like a barn with a semi-circle roof.

post #12 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
Foose... now that would be awesome. Ya the laws are shitty. Her lawyer handed him a demand letter for 50 grand to break up with her.
He should have his lawyer hand her a bill as well. No reason why she should get out of it. Why if any woman moves in here, she is paying rent. Nope, not in trade either. Cold hard cash/check marked RENT!
post #13 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 10:10 AM

I was talking to an SCCA racer with a very nice set-up at the track one day. I was looking around and wondering how much money it cost considering how expensive racing just a motorcycle was.

He was trying to encourage me to do some SCCA stuff and I basically remarked there was no way I could afford it.

He said he didn't make lots of money but that he, "...never been married, so I've never had to give some bitch half my ****".

...in bed.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

It's complicated, of course. They ran a business (into the ground) together and it was her name on a lot of ****. And this is sort of his third divorce. The first 2 times he was actually married though. Ummm, ya, I'll just try not to go any further here.
Impala
It's a cool car, not an SS but with the high-comp. 350 I think close to 300 horse. The day he bought it, beat all to hell, holes in the floor, pinging like a ****er it still charged up to 110 mph (with the mouse-eaten top down) like it weren't no thang. Someday when we have racebikes it would make a cool hauler to pull the team trailer. Not gonna happen any time soon though, by the looks of things.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-01-2005, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
It's complicated, of course. They ran a business (into the ground) together and it was her name on a lot of ****. And this is sort of his third divorce. The first 2 times he was actually married though. Ummm, ya, I'll just try not to go any further here.
Impala
It's a cool car, not an SS but with the high-comp. 350 I think close to 300 horse. The day he bought it, beat all to hell, holes in the floor, pinging like a ****er it still charged up to 110 mph (with the mouse-eaten top down) like it weren't no thang. Someday when we have racebikes it would make a cool hauler to pull the team trailer. Not gonna happen any time soon though, by the looks of things.
Ya got nothing to loose with the FOOSE option. Send it in already. Put the car up for sale, FOOSE comes through, then fine all are happy, it doesn't, nothing lost.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page