seizure patients here? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

seizure patients here?

so last nite at 1:30 in the morning there is a banging on the door.I open it and there is 2 cops standing there. They proceed to tell me that my wife was in a car accident and has been taken by ambulance to the ER. They say she is fine but she had a seizure while driving home from work.

I pack up the kids and go to the ER and when I get there she looked like Terry Schivo, total veggie, scared the **** out of me. within 3-4 hours she is talking again and responding. did a CT scan and her head is fine. she called me at 6:30 this morning and said they addmited her till they find out what happend.

She has never had a seizure and nobody in her family has either. someone who has them, help me understand what they are, what you do when having them, what causes them. thanks.

Life is Good, Life is Great

Last edited by luvtolean; 11-02-2005 at 2:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 10:32 AM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: seizure patients here?

Whoa. I don't know anything about them, but hopefully they find it soon.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #3 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Wow, thank goodness she is okay after the car accident and the kids/you weren't in the car at the time. That has to be so scary. I hope it turns out okay.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Reputation Power: 31

My brother had a couple when he was younger. Cause unknown. He hasn't had any since then been almost 20 years. I also have a friend from college who is diabetic and would have a seizure when his blood sugar was off. Wasn't a constant occurrence but it happened enough. A seizure involves misfirings in synapses in the brain which cause involuntary muscle contractions and loss of consciousness.

The only thing you can really do is to keep the person from hurting him/herself and let the seizure run its course. Try to keep the person from thrashing about, call an ambulance [removed for accuracy].

I can't give you much more than that. It's a scary situation. To watch someone in the throes of a seizure and know there's nothing you can do is about as scary a situation as you can be in.

The doc should give you the specifics and there should be a wealth of info at the hospital.

Last edited by seamus; 11-02-2005 at 4:55 PM. Reason: incorrect info given
post #5 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

My ex had a severely epileptic sister, who would have 20-30 seizures per hour. Her parents once described it to me as being like "all the lights and appliances in the house getting turned on at once... total overload".

Hope your wife is ok.

And then there's this asshole...
post #6 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Whoa Stegen. Hope your wife is doing okay. I've seen two people have seizures and they just flailed around for a few minutes. Like stated before, you just have to try to help the person avoid hurting themselves. There could be a number of causes.

You might start here for information at least:

http://www.webmd.com/search/search_r...bmd_all_filter

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #7 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I had a few bad ones years ago. I was in the navy at the time and the docs never found a cause of them. But the seizures where really bad. Almost chocked on my tounge. But I was told it could of been a lot of things. Something I ate, stress, also I was on some other meds at the time and that could of had an affect on me to. But no one in my famaliy has them and I have never had a nother one since the last one going on 7 years.
I wish you two the best
post #8 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Can't say I know much about seizures, but I completely feel for you about seeing your wife vegatative in the hospital.
I had that experience last year, and it freaked me out completely.

Did you have any social workers or cops interrogate you like you were some sort of felon about her condition and what lead to it?
I was >< this close to going to jail that day for assaulting an "officer".
post #9 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-8300/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

Sorry to here about that. They are scarry to watch.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #10 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 1:06 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I pray everything turns out OK for all of you.

I am not up on seizures but a good friends little girl has mini ones, rather than convulsing she just switches off for short periods. I know she takes medication to help but doubt this is the same as that affecting your wife as she is expected to grow out of it (something that affects little kids) Good luck and keep your chin up she is likely twice as scared as you and needs a shoulder

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 3:08 PM

Reputation Power: 21

I've witnessed probably over 100 of them in my career. We've never tried to hold anyone's tongue though. Has she ever had a head injury? How were her labs? Most people are placed on Dilantin and not allowed to drive and must have their dilantin levels checked regularly. "Grand Mal" seizures can be very violent and "Petite Mal" are less violent. Some people just flicker their eyes, some thrash around the room. Epilepsy and head injuries are what I've seen as the most common causes. A head injury can cause them years later. After the seizure they are in a post-ictal state and usually are very confused and sometimes don't even speak. Like a "deer in the headlights" look or just look at you like your crazy. This will wear off and they come around eventually. Usually within about 30 minutes or sometimes sooner with oxygen therapy. In the field we give Valium to settle them down quickly. Read up on Webmd.com for an in depth study and take care of your wife. Learn all you can about managing them, I can imagine it would be scary to have a loved one going through one right in front of me.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 3:09 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus
try to find something to hold the tongue from rolling back towards the back of the throat or getting bit off.
DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE PATIENTS MOUTH. You can cause the patient to break teeth or the jaw bone if you put anything in the mouth of a siezure patient, do not do it under any circumstances. Let the seizure run it's cource and protect the patient from hurting themselvs by protecting the head from injury and do not think you will fight the siezure for them by resrtaining them, you will end up hurt.

I do not know what causes the seizures but have seen many of them while being an EMT.

Sorry dude, keep us informed.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 5:00 PM Thread Starter

I just talked to my wife and she said they narrowed it down to 2 things. They think its either a epileptic (but they cant find any proof so they are doubting it) or a pseudo which is caused by stress and abuse. she will be in for a few days

post #14 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 5:02 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen
I just talked to my wife and she said they narrowed it down to 2 things. They think its either a epileptic (but they cant find any proof so they are doubting it) or a pseudo which is caused by stress and abuse. she will be in for a few days
so you are falling down on making her life stress free and kind

j/k take good care and it sounds like this will just be a memory in a short while

Must obey the sheep dog
post #15 of 23 Old 11-02-2005, 5:08 PM Thread Starter

She is going through a court thing with her uncle and abuse. Dont want to go into detail for her sake. but she is also stressed out cuz of the kids and work etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page