Harmonica for Dummies? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 1:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Harmonica for Dummies?

I would like to learn how to play my harmonica and am wondering if anyone has ever tried the dummy series to learn an instrument?

Remember I have no musical talent and the rhythm of white noise

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 1:42 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: Harmonica for Dummies?

HA my mom bought me a "guitar for dummies" instructional video years ago. The guy was a total nerd. I got a lot better results hanging around with friends who are good... though you may not have that luxury. But I'll bet you can get some lessons.

I think the "for dummies" thing is just an expensive license you can buy to help you hock basically any how-to book / video... other than the cover there doesn't seem to be a common element. Pretty brilliant marketing scheme though.

Good luck.

And then there's this asshole...
post #3 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 10:55 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I wouldnt doubt that you could learn some very basics....but you could probably do that from just practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgoff
I wouldnt doubt that you could learn some very basics....but you could probably do that from just practice.
Umm practice how? Remember unlike a lot of you dogs I have -zero musical ability. One of my few regrets that I cannot shake is not playing an instrument in school (wanted to play Sax) Granted there were reasons just think the learning would have been good for a life time

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 12:25 PM

Reputation Power: 16

u don't need no stinkin mouth harp...
doesn't MICOM offer a box-lunch seminar on whistling dixie?

if u work at the arsenal or for CSC / LM or one of the others, i'm pretty sure it's standard faire...whistling dixie that is <rant off>

anywho, start w/ a hohner golden melody in the key of c, it's a good all around harp

if u go w/ a blues harp, they play sharp and really need a bunch of them, soak them in water for a bit to sweeten the sound

practice making sound effects (as opposed to learning a song)...learn how to play single notes effectively, learn to jump up and down the scale....

the dummy books/dvd's weren't of much help to me by the time i read them, and i think you get just about as much info out of the little 10song booklet that will probably be included w/ your harmonica when purchased

learn the 1/2 dozen songs in the booklet, they're cheesy but teach you some of the fundamentals...after you can play these with clear single notes, u can slop it up a bit and try some cross-harpin

next step is to buy your next book of music, just like any instrument...practice and work the books, if you get a book specifically for a harmonica, the music will have both the notes and the holes to blow or draw for that note (meaning you don't have to start out reading music)

one of the easiest things to do, is after you can play those kid-songs w/ single notes, sit down and listen to a blues album, set your CD player to loop over a certain rif and try to repeat it...listen to it 100 times if you have to, your music memory will let you know when you get it right on the harp

then, after you can do a couple of the classic blues riffs, just add a little something in between...you'll sound like the shiznet until you run into someone that can really play
post #6 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Nope out behind the airport, sheep are banned from the arsenal.... something about grazing and mine fields

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2005, 3:28 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Umm practice how?
Many of the great musicians never had lessons or instuction books/videos. Just make music with it. You will learn the various chords and notes as you go. Play around with it for an hour or so a day and you will see. you'll be suprised.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page