Glock AD by U.S. federal agent - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 9:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Glock AD by U.S. federal agent

This came to me by e-mail. I've sanitized for privacy...

--

Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if, but "when". My number came up and I paid a hefty price.

Last Friday I was preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine. I had just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean it after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awesome movie BTW.

I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag. I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it later. I went upstairs and put the weapon in the tool box in the garage.

About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the slide. I done this literally thousands of times in the last fifteen years, but this times things were a little different. I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the takedown pins and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!! Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of habit too?

Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but I passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around what I did. I was SO angry at myself. I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and "thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't help. I guess I'm getting over it, but it still seems very surreal to me.

Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me.

I DID NOT hear the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very clear image, and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand...perfect .45 diameter not bleeding....yet. I took a few seconds, and then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose. Blood like you wouldn't believe. I think the fact that I was a Paramedic in a former life helped me out here. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a towel to wrap it up, call up the stairs for my wife to come down. I remember thinking "if I go get her, I'll mess up the carpet on the stairs". No lie. She came down half asleep and kind of grumpy, and I told her "I just put a bullet in my hand". Said she was calling 911 and according to her I responded "That would be a good idea.." My wife is neo-natal RN, and can remain cool as a cucumber. This helped me out too I think.

I went back into the garage, put my blasted hand on the floor kneeling on the towel and proceeded to open my ever present jump-bag with the other. I opened a US issue trauma dressing with my teeth, and proceeded to wrap my hand. Those dressing are the schiz nit by the way. My wife later told me it was very "Die-Haredesque"......

I do remember cussing at myself the entire time...I have never been that angry before.....

Four cops, the shift sup., a pumper truck and am ambulance later I was off to the ER. I didn't feel any pain until I got in the ambulance. The endorphins shut down and it hurt like nothing you can imagine. No tickets from the cops, but did have to ask which weapon I did it with. My garage looks like an arsenal pre-range trip.

The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger meta-tarsal, and 'removed' two others. It destroyed the flexor tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD. Anyway, nine hours of surgery, three screws, a tendon graft from my forearm and about two-hundred sutures later I was put back together. My surgeon said if anyone has to get shot in the hand, this was how to do it. No nerve damage....whew. Physical therapy twice a week for god knows how long, and the surgeon expects at least 80% function back.

I've included a pic of the round. Snap-On tool boxes are quite literally bullet proof. The jacket separated from the slug when it hit the box, that's why the slug is flat on one side.

Remember....check the chamber twice, then check it again.

Last edited by Chain; 05-07-2006 at 9:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Glock AD by U.S. federal agent

I saw that on another board, though I cant remember which one though... Just goes to show that no matter how sure you are that it is unloaded, always double check and clear it before cleaning...

I ejected a shell into my chest demonstration firearm safety to my sister and her friends. Right after "Even though Im sure its unloaded, Ill double check..." I pulled back the charging handle to have a round come out and hit me in the chest. This was in the common area of the gun range... Always always always check...
Chris
post #3 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Look here newbie, search the forum for a 'ccwilli's Glocks aren't safe' thread.

(as a side note, as the owner of a USPf and a USP Match .45, my friend owns a USPc .45 and a USP Tactical in .45... Love them all and shoot them all equally well... He just got a Mark 23 last night and GotDAMN is that a MAN's gun! Wow!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM

And Mr. Willi, do you want to share with the class what your first (I think, but if not, you know what Im getting at) gun was that you had until the past few months?

And dont worry about searching... revkev will post a thread on what kind of gun everyone carries in a couple of days.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 11:15 AM

Black Talon worked good.

post #6 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 11:18 AM

It must be the ammo's fault since it was an evil black bullet...
post #7 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 AM

We should definately ban it...oh wait.

post #8 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerPilot
And Mr. Willi, do you want to share with the class what your first (I think, but if not, you know what Im getting at) gun was that you had until the past few months?
heh. I plead igorance. And I'm good at it...
post #9 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 11:40 AM

Uh huh... Ill have an HK at some point, but not before I get my TRP Operator...
post #10 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 1:06 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Damn Chain, that looks like it hurt. Glad it wasn't worse. BTW, I was taught there's no such thing as an AD...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #11 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 1:31 PM

Reputation Power: 19

A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of pain, normally I'd have some sympathy and say something nice, but that was just plain stupid
post #12 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 2:12 PM

So he pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at something that he didn't want to shoot?

Is that mistake #1 or #2? I say #1.

HD
post #13 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 3:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Damn Chain, that looks like it hurt. Glad it wasn't worse. BTW, I was taught there's no such thing as an AD...
We refer to this sort of thing as an ND now... for Negligent Discharge...
post #14 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
So he pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at something that he didn't want to shoot?

Is that mistake #1 or #2? I say #1.

HD
He'd already made the mistakes of not clearing the weapon, not making sure it's clear visually & manually, press checking etc etc before he got covering something he didn't want to destroy and pulling the trigger in an unsafe direction.

post #15 of 28 Old 11-17-2005, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
He'd already made the mistakes of not clearing the weapon, not making sure it's clear visually & manually, press checking etc etc before he got covering something he didn't want to destroy and pulling the trigger in an unsafe direction.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page