Gateway Computers (well, all computers) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Gateway Computers (well, all computers)

I used to be a big fan of Gateway computers. In fact, of the two brand new PCs I've purchased since getting into computers about eight years ago, both were Gateways and both performed well. But I hear things about 'em.

Are they not what they used to be (as a company)?

Is Dell a better choice? I hear they've farmed out their CS to other counties.

Who really is making the best buy in desktop PCs these days (all things considered - price, selection, after sale CS, shipping, etc).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: Gateway Computers (well, all computers)

Biggest thing to look for is capacity to upgrade....cuz if you're playin games you be needin to upgrade. A lot of the brand name **** comes with cheap motherboards with integrated sound, video, ethernet... They usually allow you room to add a stick or 2 of RAM but not much else. Do some research on high-end, upgradable motherboards and see if you can't get 2-3 years out of the thing before you donate it to the women's shelter or DeVry. I've been out of the loop for quite a while so I don't really know what's good anymore, but I still say upgradability is key.

And then there's this asshole...
post #3 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
Who really is making the best buy in desktop PCs these days (all things considered - price, selection, after sale CS, shipping, etc).

Too loaded a question any longer. They all suck at "customer service", but Dell does throw a lot of cheap deals at people so they can retain the #1 status.
Question is, what are you looking for the PC to do? If all you want is a general purpose PC for internet surfing, Office-type applications and a little bit of gaming thrown in on occasion those Dell deals will work great.
If you're looking for a PC with high end processing in mind for gaming, graphics work, etc. The Dell, Gateway, [enter any name brand here] option is gonna get pricey. I know Alienware is the current fad in that area, but if you want a PC for high performance applications you are best off to either build it yourself or but one of the "brand name" lower-end servers.
In other words, none of them are the best. Dell has turned into who they mimiced theirselves after and then went on a media blitz to destroy (and won because sheeple are idiots) in Compaq, and Gateway still builds decent machines without the blow-them-out pricing Dell does.

But knowing you as a modaholic that feels the need to have big numbers even if you wont really use them, and that you are looking for gaming first - let's just start up a wish list at NewEgg like we did with RRWANTR a few weeks ago and do it right.
You won't be happy with anyone's "customer service", as they are typically manned by idiots with a book in front of them with canned answers that probably wouldn't know how to turn a computer on in the first place, so why worry about some branded canned warranty when all the individual parts have a better warranty on them anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I think building my own PC would be fun, but it sounds a bit daunting.

Is there a For Dummies book on this? Some sort of n00b guide? Step by step tutorial?
post #5 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
... so why worry about some branded canned warranty when all the individual parts have a better warranty on them anyway?

All agreed except for that statement-

The benefit that you get from buying a "ready made" versus building yourself, the "bundled" system has been tested ( to some extent, not necessarily for optimization), so all the pieces/ parts play nice together.

When building yourself, and not being extremely tech savvy, you might buy parts with conflicting drivers, or just compatibility issues in general.

Do some research on Tech boards before you start piecing together (i.e. the videocard you bought may be conflicting with your motherboard - processor type - soundcard - background software, etc. etc. etc.)
post #6 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Seriously man, building a PC is easier than remedial math. You can only plug things in one way, and if you pay attention to detail (like most anal retentive truck waxers) you WON'T be able to mess it up.
The hardest part will be deciding what color you want your case to be.

Besides, you always have the .org to help you out.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 1:00 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
I think building my own PC would be fun, but it sounds a bit daunting.

It's actually surprisingly straightforward, and somewhat satisfying in the same way as working on your own bikes. Some sort of starters guide or dummy book would probably be a good idea. Or browse the computer mags at B&N and see if they have something with a guide.

And then there's this asshole...
post #8 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 1:05 PM

Reputation Power: 22

alot of it is fanboy fandom

Life is Good, Life is Great
post #9 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 3:33 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
Seriously man, building a PC is easier than remedial math. You can only plug things in one way, and if you pay attention to detail (like most anal retentive truck waxers) you WON'T be able to mess it up.
The hardest part will be deciding what color you want your case to be.

Besides, you always have the .org to help you out.

The only "brand name" computer I would buy is a Mac. You couldn't pay me to buy a Dell/Gateway/HP. Build your own, it's easy.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
The only "brand name" computer I would buy is a Mac.
I'm lovin' mine so far.
I agree with the others. Building a computer is cake for an extreme modder as yourself. Just think about it like you are installing an aftermarket exhaust system. I am sure you know how to do that in your sleep.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 6:59 PM

I've built around 30 computers lately for friends/relatives and all have been different components/boards/processors. I don't think I've come across a single issue with incompatible parts. Maybe in the old days you'd have driver problems but now you can install almost anything and windows will detect it and most likely already have the drivers. If you can run a phillips screw driver you can build a computer. That's all you need!
post #12 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 7:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn
I'm lovin' mine so far.
I agree with the others. Building a computer is cake for an extreme modder as yourself. Just think about it like you are installing an aftermarket exhaust system. I am sure you know how to do that in your sleep.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-24-2005, 8:40 PM

Unless you are trying to go on the REALLY cheap end, Id say build your own. You'll get better value and higher quality. Besides - HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc etc etc....All built by the same company. They're mostly all the same stuff minus case and power supply.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedTechRR
I've built around 30 computers lately for friends/relatives and all have been different components/boards/processors. I don't think I've come across a single issue with incompatible parts. Maybe in the old days you'd have driver problems but now you can install almost anything and windows will detect it and most likely already have the drivers. If you can run a phillips screw driver you can build a computer. That's all you need!
That's good to know. Maybe with XP and the "modern" processor's, it's less likely.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-25-2005, 12:37 PM

"Incomaptible parts" in building a PC can be something simple like the power supply you have has the wrong number of pins on the connector for your MOBO (this happened to me). The new boards have a higher number of pins on the header. (can't remember the number)

But they are VERY easy to build. One thing I recommend you might not know about is an anti-stat strap. You can get it for a couple of bucks. Basically you just ground yourself while working on the PC. Highly unlikely you'll zap anything with static electricity anymore, but it is a good precaution.

I also got a HDD that was DOA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page