Cyclists: Cutting headstem (carbon fi) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2005, 9:09 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Cyclists: Cutting headstem (carbon fi)

not me - but a friend of mine has a new bike and I guess it as a lengthy headstem that was left 'extra long' so he could trim it - is this typically cut with a hacksaw, grinder, machine shop?

It's a pretty pricey ride and I didn't want to f it up on him but he asked for my help and I know there's a few of ya's here...some that are engineers

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2005, 9:19 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: Cyclists: Cutting headstem (carbon fi)

You're talking about the "steerer tube" I think. The part of the fork that goes through the headset?

I've never personally done it, but I know the procedure is to wrap masking tape around the spot to be cut, use a new, fine toothed hacksaw blade, and saw patiently, do not force it through.

A hoseclamp will work as a guide.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

is the goal to end up with as flat/smooth surface as possible (I mean requiring extra precision and filing, polishing, etc to maintain squarness of the edge) to prevent fissuring or would the sawcut surface be ok.

I'm also aware of the low temp. of release for the resins involved, and was wondering if this would be a reason not to use a band saw or cutoff wheel etc.

lastly, respirator? mask? nuisance mask?

Thanks LTL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 PM

Yep, as flat and smooth as possible. I personally would grind it square, but it's up to you.

I thought about the dremel, but probably wouldn't use it due to heat.

I'd just wear a regular old mask, and not be too worried about it, but if a respirator is handy why not?

...in bed.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 PM

Hey, went and looked up some directions for you. It claims there is a special hacksaw blade for cutting composites.

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/Manual.pdf

...in bed.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2005, 12:52 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Have a shop do it for you. Most people I have talked to have given that advice. Expensive piece of hardware to destroy and it won't cost much to have them do it. If they screw it up, they will order you a new one.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2005, 3:27 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Have a look here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=111

Quote:
<H3>Cutting Steering Column- Threadless
Quote:

It is recommend to use saw guide SG-6 to cut threadless steering columns. This tool holds the fork square to the saw blade. Use of a good quality and sharp hack blade is needed for a properly cut column. Generally, 24 teeth per inch are recommended for steering columns.

NOTE FOR CARBON FIBER: For carbon fiber steering column, a finer 32 TPI blade is recommended. To minimize dust from the carbon, keep the blade wet. If you prefer to use a "diamond rod blade", it is possible to install washers to widen the guide slot of the SG-6. Another option is to use the outer blade as a guide. Hold the diamond blade against the outside steel face of the SG-6. Align the cut mark to this outside face, and press gently against the tool as you cut. Note that this will visually mar the tool. Use a fine emery cloth to finish the end.
  1. Determine correct length of steering column. Mark column using marker or scribe.
  2. Place fork inside SG-6. Loosely secure handle.
  3. Move SG-6 saw guide opening over mark on column.
  4. Secure SG-6 handle and place SG-6 in vise.
  5. Cut through column. (NOTE: Cut with pressure only in forward direction. Do not apply excessive pressure on blade.)http://www.parktool.com/images_inc/r...help/fork2.jpg
  6. Loosen handle and move column to slightly protrude past cover plate.
  7. Use flat file to finish end of column. Use round file or de-burring tool to remove sharp inside edge of column.
  8. Loose handle and move column further through cover plate. Leave handle loose to allow column to rotate.
  9. Rotate fork and use flat file to bevel outer sharp edge of column.
  10. Remove fork from SG-6.
</H3>
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2005, 3:46 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the help dudes, appreciatate it.

Unfortunately this is him building his first bike and I beleive he needs the satisfaction involved with cutting it himself (or well, me cutting it is close enough) as I doubt he will go to a shop unless some crazy tools are required.

I have a 40tpi hack. blade and a damn good jig to get it inline with - I will just ask him to do the measuring 3-9x before we do this, cause we all know how good I am with that sorta stuff

post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2005, 3:55 AM

Reputation Power: 23

You don't have to cut it to final length all in one go. Shame to cut it and find out you've cut it too short.

If you are setting the bike up for the first time, and he is unsure of his riding position, I would suggest cutting the tube "long". i.e. leave it longer than you "think" you need it. Put spacers above the stem to take up the extra tube length as a temporary measure. A ride, adjust, ride some more, adjust again etc until your chum is happy with the bar height and then cut to final length. just my

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page