Inconsiderate people - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 9:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Inconsiderate people

Last night I go to the store to buy some flowers and beer. As I'm leaving I get to the door and an older gentlemen is on his way in. He's about 15-20 feet away so I stop and hold the door for him. As he walks by and into the the store the ass doesn't even say thanks. Not even a look or sound. WTF is up with people. So naturally as I begin to let the door close I say, "You're Welcome." He turns to me and says, with atttude I might add, "What did you just say?" I reply, "I said you're welcome." He says, "For what?" Holy crap now I'm convinced this asshat is oblivious to his surroundings. I answer with, "I said your welcome for holding the door for you, ya know, the nice thing to do. The usual response is thank you, you should try it sometime." He then says in a very stern and serious voice, "I didn't ask you to hold the door for me, so I don't see why it's such a big deal to YOU." Is it possible I just met the most inconsiderate person? I decide to test the waters and ask him a question. "Are you married sir?" To which he replies, "no, my wife left me years ago." So in closing I left him with, "I can see why, have a Happy Holiday sir."

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 9:54 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Inconsiderate people

Ha ha! Nice! I can't stand people that think the world owes them something.

HD
post #3 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM

Reputation Power: 16

I would have made it a point to wait for him to leave and get the door again, however, once he goes to walk through it slam it shut and say your welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Reaper, you should try crowded public transport everyday. Late trains, crowded trains (cattle truck / sardine crowded sometimes) people unable to get onto the train because it's already very crowded. Christmas shopping, packages, tired (and sometimes "tired and emotional") people at the end of the day.

It really is quite amazing to an oldfogey the behaviour some people expect to get away with without comment. My favourite category is the young blonde woman, used to getting her way, who turns aggressive (pushing, standing on feet, dropping bags on your toes, etc.) who expects men to just allow her behaviour a young man would get multiple threats back in return.

Sorry, threadjack, touchy subject....

Your curmudgeon would hardly get noticed in a London commute.
post #5 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

BZZZZZ wrong answer.

You hold the door for someone because it is the right thing for YOU to do. If you also get appreciation that is a bonus and should be appreciated. If you only act right because of others you will soon cease.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
You hold the door for someone because it is the right thing for YOU to do.
That is exactly why I do that. Maybe I'm just too nice a guy?

Dan
post #7 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 AM

I've had the reverse experience once where I was walking out of a store and someone said "Thanks alot" as I didnt wait and hold the door open, I couldnt believe it I was almost in shock and barely got out my response of "nobody held the door open for me and I figured out how it worked"
post #8 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I guess I am too nice a guy. I tend to hold the door pretty much eveywhere I go, wether going in or coming out of a building.

Dan
post #9 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 10:56 AM

So I'm parking in my local Vons parking lot the other day (and in California, so I'm told by a traveler nurse friend of mine, the parking spaces are super small compared to other States), and I'm about to get out, and this friggin' *HICK* rolls in to my left in his **** kicking Ford F-150 before I can get the door open, leaving about 2 inches for me to open my door.

I was already ticked on an unrelated issue, so having a clearing to my front, I roll across to another open parking space. I must have done this somewhat aggressively, because the hick jumps out and see's me walking back towards his truck and the store. This dude must have seen the look on my face, because he stops and locks eye contact with me. He's about my size (6'2", 240), and in an "instant size up", has the look of someone used to confrontation.

I lock eyes on him, and continue in his general direction. Dudes still stopped, staring at me with a scowl on his face as I come closer. I'm thinking to myself, if this ****wit wants to go there, I'm going to meet him there.

I get within earshot, around 5 feet, and this cowboy says to me:

"Hey, did I block you in?" Before I can answer, he says "Sorry about that, man, I didn't mean to get that close." Suprised at his candor, I reply with a half-laugh "Hey, bud, it happens. No problem."

People suprise you sometimes.
post #10 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
(and in California, so I'm told by a traveler nurse friend of mine, the parking spaces are super small compared to other States),
I remember them being wicked small in San Diego....like really wicked small.
post #11 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
I guess I am too nice a guy. I tend to hold the door pretty much eveywhere I go, wether going in or coming out of a building.
Same with me as I'm in and out of public buildings daily. I've pretty much given up on expecting any acknowledgement as common courtesies are a dying value.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #12 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
BZZZZZ wrong answer.

You hold the door for someone because it is the right thing for YOU to do. If you also get appreciation that is a bonus and should be appreciated. If you only act right because of others you will soon cease.
I appreciate the sentiment, SoB, and I hope politeness is ingrained in my behaviour, but I wonder how long you'd manage to keep your Southern politeness if you lived in a big city. Reality is, if you allow all the people who want to get on a train first, you don't get on. This, to me, would be the equivalent of holding open the door for other people, i.e. let others go first. How many people would you keep the door open for before you got hungry or thirsty? Reasonableness comes into politeness too. It has, to some extent, to be reciprocal. It's a social etiquette for mutual consideration and efficient living. If you're in Hong Kong, you don't use a handkerchief if you want to be polite.
post #13 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 2:33 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogey
I appreciate the sentiment, SoB, and I hope politeness is ingrained in my behaviour, but I wonder how long you'd manage to keep your Southern politeness if you lived in a big city. Reality is, if you allow all the people who want to get on a train first, you don't get on. This, to me, would be the equivalent of holding open the door for other people, i.e. let others go first. How many people would you keep the door open for before you got hungry or thirsty? Reasonableness comes into politeness too. It has, to some extent, to be reciprocal. It's a social etiquette for mutual consideration and efficient living. If you're in Hong Kong, you don't use a handkerchief if you want to be polite.
At rush hour no but you can still give your seat up, give someone a hi and smile etc. In off hours in the city yep still. Also it is like letting a car merge 1 is polite 2 is rude.

Oh and Huntsville is WAY to big as it is, I am free range and need lots of space.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 2:57 PM

Reputation Power: 17

One time a friend and I, upon exiting Wal-Mart (I know...) each decided to hold a door for some ladies pushing carts. Now, that is just the way that we were raised. I don't do it to hear a "thank you," I do it because it's polite. Well, the politeness only extends so far, because after LITERALLY 25 people walked out with us holding the doors and not even an utterance of acknowledgement...Funk that.
I don't even recall wearing a Wal-Mart smock as I held the doors. It won't stop me from holding doors every day of my life, but dang!
post #15 of 57 Old 12-15-2005, 4:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones156
One time a friend and I, upon exiting Wal-Mart (I know...) each decided to hold a door for some ladies pushing carts. Now, that is just the way that we were raised. I don't do it to hear a "thank you," I do it because it's polite. Well, the politeness only extends so far, because after LITERALLY 25 people walked out with us holding the doors and not even an utterance of acknowledgement...Funk that.
I don't even recall wearing a Wal-Mart smock as I held the doors. It won't stop me from holding doors every day of my life, but dang!
Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page