Lemons. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 6:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Lemons.

I run a rental fleet and I buy a lot of new cars and trucks. This week I bought 7 new F350s... Sent them to a client today and one of them made it about 2 miles before it crapped out. Had it towed back to a Ford dealer and they just called to let me know it needs a fuel pump. It's been a hell of a day. Every year it's something. I usually have a couple of Duramaxes (out of 3-400) that are DOA. I've had a couple of LQ4 6.0L trucks that burned oil from day 1 also. What a pain in the ass.

Ever buy a lemon? I remember Abtech's experience with a Grand Cherokee... Anyone else buy a new vehicle that was a POS from day 1? Share your story.

And then there's this asshole...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 7:19 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Lemons.

I purchased a Chevy 1 ton cargo van in 1980 new off the lot. By the time I got it home, it had burned 3+ quarts of oil. Both of the wind wing knobs broke off the first time I opened them, the passenger window wouldn't roll down and the rear doors overlapped by nearly a full inch (the dealer had forced them shut priot to delivery, but the minute they were opened, one of them sagged due to incorrect placement of the hinges.

When I returned it to the dealer the following Monday, I was told that 3+ quarts in 40 miles wasn't unusual for a "brand new engine" and that it would continue to use ~ 4 quarts per 1000 miles until it was "broken in". I asked in the most deadpan voice I could muster how long that would take and I was told (in an equally deadpan voice) "about 25,000 miles should do it". When I pointed out that was only 11K short of the end of the warranty period, the service manager said that I shouldn't worry, it was a "heavy duty truck" and that they ran for hundreds of thousands of miles.

They replaced the wind wings (which promptly broke the following week) and the right rear door (which didn't solve the problem) and I contacted the consumer complaint division of General Motors and began what became 18 months of pure hell trying to either get the van replaced or at least have the engine fixed. In the end, they took the van back and gave me retail bluebook on a trade for another Chevy product which I declined instead opting for wholesale bluebook in a cashout which I used as a down payment on an 82 Supra (which was an even bigger lemon, as the frame was tweaked and it dog walked nearly 9" out of being straight).

The early 80s were a bad time for automotive purchases . . .
post #3 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 7:24 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Ouch. The frame on the Supra was tweaked from new? Brutal.

On the freeway a few weeks ago I saw a late 70's Nova sedan which dogwalked so badly it seemed to be going sideways. You'd almost have to look out the side window to see forwards. I tried to get a pic with my camera phone but it didn't come out very well. I guess the leaf spring shackles would migrate on those old boats to the point where the axle would pivot several degrees. Whatever the cause, it looked friggin hilarious.

And then there's this asshole...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 7:37 PM

Wouldn't a broken anti-sway bar cause that?
post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
Ever buy a lemon?
15 years and 10 new vehicles in my family...nope. But none of them were american vehicles either.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 9:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Only lemon I have near personal experience with (one of my brothers) was a Corolla. They took care of him pretty quick and easy, though.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 PM
TCD

She want lemon
post #8 of 12 Old 12-19-2005, 5:21 PM
Fig

TCD - So how long have you been hanging around in the car topic waiting for someone to post about lemons?? I am going to have to load that onto the kids mp3 players and watch their faces.
Fig
post #9 of 12 Old 12-19-2005, 5:33 PM

Here I thought this was going to be one of your cooking threads...."How to make lemonade".
post #10 of 12 Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 AM
TCD

Somehow that song came up in conversation lately and I saw the perfect time to post! Definately one of U2's stranger moments...
post #11 of 12 Old 12-20-2005, 11:28 AM

I remember way back when I bought a Triumph TR7 drophead. Now, you may think I was asking for trouble, but it was a decent open two-seater, only rivals at the time the Fiat X1/9 and the ancient MGB.

The first one we had delivered we got to forty faults on the dealer's forecourt before we started the engine, including a bad bodywork repair. We rejected it out of hand under a new consumer law that allowed you to reject on grounds of "unmerchantable quality".

The second one delivered (yes, I know) was nearly perfect. We owned it three years, no significant faults at all and sold it on to a friend who kept it another five years without problems.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-20-2005, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD

Somehow that song came up in conversation lately and I saw the perfect time to post! Definately one of U2's stranger moments...

Strange, indeed. As was the entire album.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page