new laptop - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 6:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

new laptop

Just moved back to the US and along with that I got my new work laptop today. No real reason for this post but I'm breaking in the new machine.

Plus I keep seeing posts about new Macs... I like this better and my job requires I run many operating systems on my laptop, mostly in virtual environments. Windows XP, NT4, 2000, 2003, 2003 R2, Netware (many versions), Linux, and I get to play with things like Vista.

I have had many laptops, HP (and old Compaq), Dell, Toshiba and IBM. I have never had better success then IBM (although now Lenovo). I had a t30, t42, and now my brand new T43P.

This is one bad ass laptop. Specs: 2.26Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, 128 MB ATI Video, bluetooth, Gibabit network card, wireless G, fingerprint reader (which I haven't figured out yet) and DVD-RW.

That's a pretty average desktop but incredible in a sub 6 pound laptop that is rock solid. I dropped my t42 on a tile floor from about 3 feet when it was on and it didn't even skip a beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 8:06 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: new laptop

That is one sweet rig. Bought one of those for the COO of my previous company before I left...I had trouble handing it over to him
post #3 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeet Machine.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 1:33 PM

oh yea....well i just got a Dell B120 for the wife...lmao...and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.... Nice machine!
post #5 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 1:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Holy crap, you got Gibabit?!?!?!?!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 AM

very nice
post #7 of 15 Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
Holy crap, you got Gibabit?!?!?!?!
all my macs do.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #8 of 15 Old 01-03-2006, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
all my macs do.
What, have Gibabit? Wouldn't surprise me as all macs are screwed up.
Gigabit, on the other hand, is standard on pretty much all wintel machines.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 9:34 AM

I am going to jump into this thread and talk about my new machine.

Well, my new laptop just arrived yesterday. I was so excited. It was an IBM T42P. I have had some experience with IBM in the past. I used to have a T23 at work. I always thought they were well built machines. Granted that they were never speed deamons, but as a travel machine, they performed well and did not weigh 10 pounds.

The specs of my machine does not compare to that of BladeRiders race horse. Mine are as follows:

1.8g CPU, 1G ram, 60G 7200 rpm HDD, 15" screen, 128M ATI Fire T2 Video UXGA 1600x1200, CDR/DVD, ABG wireless, Bluetooth, 10/100/1000 ethernet. Oh, and the downside of it is that it has XP pro installed. Well, that has changed quickly. I will explain later.

I felt like I was a kid in a candy store when I opened the box. I could not wait to fire it up. Damn I am such a geek. I plugged in hte power, connected my local network cable, and powered it up. After a couple of setup questions, I arrived to the desktop. All of the sudden, the wireless dialog box popped up telling me that it has found 5 unprotected wireless lans available for me to choose from. This really scares me. What is with people not protecting thier information. Granted that even WEP is not secure but it is better than wide open. And no, I did not connect.

Now, on to the OS issue. I did not want to blow away the OS. Their are one or two windows programs that I wanted to run. So I decided to create a dual boot machine. First thing I had to do was make rescue and recovery CDs incase I did something wrong. This process took quite a while. The next thing I used was partition magic to resize NTFS. This took about a minute to do. This type stuff amazes me. I dod not know how this is possible but it works.

The next step was loading Linux. I had my choice of RH fedora core or SUSE 10. Most of my experience is with RH. I can setup a basic RH network in about 15 minutes all in command line. It is quite easy. Now with SUSE it seems that it is more graphical in nature but what I have heard, it works very well with laptops. I chose SUSE and gave it a try. I must say it was quite easy. It saw the windows partition and the partition that I created with partition magic. It loaded Linux on that partition. GRUB took care of the dual boot stuff and now I can choose which OS to boot to. It was very painless.

I now have a dual boot laptop with complete networking from wired to wireless capability. So far, it has been a great success. More reviews to come. I am so giddy. I can't wait to go home and tinker with my new machine.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 9:50 AM Thread Starter

Good call Colryn, I would still have my T42 if I didn't move back from Australia.

Also glad you realize Windows has some major advantages over Linux and kept it on there, but why lose all that disk space by installing Linux?
post #11 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 11:01 AM

I know Lenovo bought IBM...but does anyone have insight as to what it means to the future of the product line?

post #12 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I know Lenovo bought IBM...but does anyone have insight as to what it means to the future of the product line?
My view is this:

I think it was all dollars and cents. IBM could not afford t put out laptops without cheap labor from abroad. I think IBM will have a hand in design of newer versioins but let Lenovo come up with manufacturing processes. I do not think IBM would put their name on a product that does not have some redeeming quality. I have used several IBM products in the past such as Intellistation workstations, Netfinity servers, and Thinkpad laptops.

I thought they were great products that were well put together. The only complaint I would have would be the price. They were more expensive than the others. Maybe allowing another manufacturer do most of the grunt work will be a good thing. Time will only tell. In the mean time, I will keep enjoying this laptop I have.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 2:40 PM
Fig

Guys, as far as price, I now work for a certain 3 lettered company. I can give out a link to a "friends and family" discount. If you are serious about purchasing a desktop or laptop, and are a member in good standing here, PM me and as soon as I get a chance, I will shoot you an email from the site with the appropriate info to get a nice discount. I have been really hesitant just because I don't want to get flooded with people just trying to see what the discount is, so please, only serious inquiries. I would hate to have my employer think I am abusing it.
Fig
post #14 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Guys, as far as price, I now work for a certain 3 lettered company. I can give out a link to a "friends and family" discount. If you are serious about purchasing a desktop or laptop, and are a member in good standing here, PM me and as soon as I get a chance, I will shoot you an email from the site with the appropriate info to get a nice discount. I have been really hesitant just because I don't want to get flooded with people just trying to see what the discount is, so please, only serious inquiries. I would hate to have my employer think I am abusing it.
Fig

Now you tell us. Where were you last week. I could have gotten the rocket that BladeRider got. Oh well, my machine is plenty for my needs. That is very nice to offer. If anyone is truely in the market for a laptop, I could not speak more highly of my thinkpad.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-04-2006, 3:36 PM
Fig

I am really sorry about that.
Fig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page