USB Flash Drive problems - help? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 6:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

USB Flash Drive problems - help?

Bought some USB 2.0 256MB Flash Drive devices for use at home and work and having problems.

On one machine, plug the device in and Windows recognises that device is plugged in, icon bottom right of screen appears, yet the device is not visible in the "My Computer" directory as a Disc Drive, Removable disc or anything else. Also machine seems to go into snail mode, locking up and reboot required.

Try the same device in another machine and it works perfectly.

Both machines Dell Dimension something or other, both running XP Pro, one has a DVD reader, the other a CD player, but other than that not much else is different as far as I know.

So I brought the Flash Drives home. Another Dell (two hard drives, DVD player, CD writer) running XP Home, and a home built PC also running XP Home. Device works perfectly in the latter but not in the Dell.

Poking around the Windows Knowledge Base site, there would seem to be some problem with assigned Drive letters and if a conflict occurs, machine won't recognise new device. So tried reassigning drive letters but makes no difference.

Oddly though machine at work and home recognise my photo card reader as an disc drive without problem.

Anyone got any clues. As you can probably tell I'm way out of my depth.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 8:19 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: USB Flash Drive problems - help?

Have the same problem every now and then. I've actually had a flash drive not show up under My Computer but shows up in an Office Program when I use File - Open.

Sometimes it's taken several minutes for the extra drive to show up under My Computer, especially with my external hard drive.

It's weird.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 8:37 PM

See if you might boot-up with it plugged in. My home machine won't but my work machine will (halt at BIOS not OS). There's at least a chance that behavior is different...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto

Anyone got any clues.
Yep...

Right here...
Quote:
Both machines Dell Dimension something or other, both running XP Pro, one has a DVD reader, the other a CD player, but other than that not much else is different as far as I know.
And right here...
Quote:
So I brought the Flash Drives home. Another Dell (two hard drives, DVD player, CD writer) running XP Home, and a home built PC also running XP Home. Device works perfectly in the latter but not in the Dell.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 PM

On a more serious note...make sure all patches are applied to Windows including USB driver updates.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 2:47 AM

Reputation Power: 20

had the EXACT same problem as you, also on a Dell. Ended up formating in fustration and starting fresh.

Try uninstalling the USB drivers in your Device Manager and then rebooting, letting PnP to re-detect the devices. I'm sure there are some buried registry keys you can probably delete, but I just sort of gave up. .

Be fast or be last.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 4:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies one and all. So it's not just me then

I hate f*cking computers

Tried all the things suggested including deleting the USB drivers. That's when you find out your mouse won't work so you frantically search the junk box for an old serial mouse. Pheeewww !!

Not sure what to do now. Keep searching the Internet I guess.If I find a solution I'll let you know.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 6:42 AM

Solution starts here... www.newegg.com
post #9 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 5:48 PM
Fig

Proto,
As an alternative, you could download a knoppix cd, and boot it. If it can recognize the pen drive, then you can rule out hardware.

www.knoppix.net

Fig
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 6:36 PM

Reputation Power: 20

For my case, it wasn't the HW. After I fresh formatted and installed the OS, the machine and USB devices worked fine....

As a desperate measure, you may want to try and kill the below registry keys (There's a LOT of crap in there, so dont' do it unless you're ultra desperate - but if you're 1 step away from a format, you might as well give it a try.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SB

I'm going to give it a go tonite and see how it turns out.

Be fast or be last.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 6:47 PM Thread Starter

Someone has suggested it might be the USB Hub drivers. He found that flash drive would work if plugged directly into a machine but not if plugged into a 4 way hub. So it would suggest that hub might have an effect. Some protocol/speed issue maybe.
My PC has 6 USB ports so one assumes it has an inbuilt hub of some sort. Maybe I need to find an update? I'll try the device in all 6 ports to see if one works.

The words straw and clutching keep coming to mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page