Ceiling Mounted Home Theater Speakers? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 1:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Ceiling Mounted Home Theater Speakers?

Has anyone used these for the rear portion of a 5.1 or 6.1 system instead of standard-type speakers?

I was about to run wires through the attic and the thought crossed my mind. Any recommendations?

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 2:06 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171
Re: Ceiling Mounted Home Theater Speakers?

I looked at some, but just wasn't impressed with the sound quality. My second thought was to use 3 way large book shelf speakers supported by brackets. I finally just used floor standing speakers my wife hates (because of the size), but they sound great. JBL has some decent ceiling speakers, I just wanted more sound. Listen to some, if they fit you needs, they will look very nice, and won't take up any space.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #3 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 3:03 PM

Reputation Power: 42

I've got them in my main room...they don't sound as good as my original surrounds but they are unobtrusive...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 3:05 PM

Reputation Power: 0

B&W makes some great Inwall and ceiling speakers. They are as much as or more than std speakers, but they are not intrusive at all. I believe at least one of them can be angled for usage.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 7:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gents,

I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. The regular speakers that I am using now have a pretty low WAF (Wife Acceptancy Factor). I've never really listened to any in-wall or in-ceiling mounted surround sound speakers so I'm a total noob here.

Post-blade
post #6 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 7:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why not monsterize it? You have attic access and speakers.
Make a bracket for the speakers, cut holes in the ceiling, and a retracting system.
When you want speakers, flip a switch and voila...here they come.
When you're done, flip the switch the other way and the wife won't complain about obnoxious speakers in the way.

Bet it would cost you less than purchasing new in-wall speakers, and think of the cool factor.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-22-2005, 4:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

I install them all the time. the work great. Trick is to find the right speakers. I use Boston, Sonance and B&W if I REALLY have to (they have the worst grills in the world) I have also installed Speakercraft, Kef and Trusound speakers with good results. Though you should probably try to go with the same company that makes your front speakers (to at least try to match the sound a little bit).

I'd also suggest putting some insulation on top of the speakers - something not many people do and the sound suffers as a result.

Otherwise, mounting bookshelf speakers(or even floorstanding speakers if you have the space) will also work a treat. Have done this as well with good results. Just takes a bit more effort to make it look good...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #8 of 13 Old 12-22-2005, 9:13 AM

Had them in one house. While it was nice to have them up off the floor and otherwise out of the way you were slave to their position as far as rearranging the furniture. A guy at work has them in his brand new home and cleary the person that put them in hadn't a clue as to how to wire a home surround system. Rear speakers are way too close to the TV and in front of the seating area. Like them on the floor personally, feel there is better response from the system and sound quality is much better. You won't have to have the system up as loud to get the same effect.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman
I install them all the time. the work great. Trick is to find the right speakers. I use Boston, Sonance and B&W if I REALLY have to (they have the worst grills in the world) I have also installed Speakercraft, Kef and Trusound speakers with good results. Though you should probably try to go with the same company that makes your front speakers (to at least try to match the sound a little bit).

I'd also suggest putting some insulation on top of the speakers - something not many people do and the sound suffers as a result.

Otherwise, mounting bookshelf speakers(or even floorstanding speakers if you have the space) will also work a treat. Have done this as well with good results. Just takes a bit more effort to make it look good...

Z...
Thanks Zeeman!

I am leaning towards the Bostons for now but will have to put the purchase on hold for a week or two. My system is a pretty cheap one (Onkyo) but I want to put quality speakers in the walls as I can always upgrade the freestanding speakers (fronts, center) and the receiver. I am looking at this as step one of the audio upgrade.

Thanks all!

Post-blade
post #10 of 13 Old 12-25-2005, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

It's all good - seems you are starting out pretty well to me. Onkyo makes reasonably good stuff, Boston speakers sound great (I use them at home) so you should be quite happy with the results.

Just do a bit of research into location of speakers (plenty of sites for this), and please don't put your TV/screen in a corner That'll make lif emuch simpler...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #11 of 13 Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Reputation Power: 42

[tangent threadjack]

I got a wild hair and drug all my home theater crap out of the basement for the holidays... I had forgotten how much better movies are with the surround sound going. My stuff is pretty low end, but it still rocks the house imho...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #12 of 13 Old 12-29-2005, 2:39 PM

Gotta agree with Z. I install these quite a bit. Used to be the sound quality was not good, but newer models are very high quality, IMO. Also second the Boston, Sonance or B&W brands.

Placement is important, but more-so the speaker. Directional tweeters help a lot. Placement isn't as flexible as with a regular box-speaker, but it does get 'em off the floor or shelf and reclaims some nice real-estate in the house.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-29-2005, 5:40 PM Thread Starter

I actually went with my original plan a few days ago and installed binding post pass-through jacks at wall outlets for the existing speakers. If I decide to go with in-wall speakers in the future, at least the wires have been run through the walls and attic. I can also expand the cutouts in the wall for the speakers that I made for the gang boxes.

It sure did clean up the appearance by getting those wires out of sight.

Post-blade

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page