FJ Cruiser - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 2:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
FJ Cruiser

Not that I'd expect this to surprise anyone.... but I like it. If it falls within the price range of a WRX I would have a difficult choice on my hands.

The Car Connection

And then there's this asshole...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 2:45 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: FJ Cruiser

How can you say it would be a tough choice between that and a WRX, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I kinda like it tho.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 2:48 PM Thread Starter

Only reason I'd compare is because I could only afford to own 1 vehicle. So each would have its advantages... WRX = way more fun to drive, FJ = way more capable of pulling a toy trailer. WRX = opposite-lock 4wd slides, FJ = splashing through creeks and up muddy hillsides. Fuel economy would probably be similar, but insurance would be way less on the SUV. Also if kids (or a big dog) become part of the picture, FJ would be a bit more practical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 2:51 PM

Looks like a Defender 90. I like it.

HD
post #5 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 2:54 PM

I can undertand your logic to your decision but you have to decide if you want a car or truck then narrow down your options from there.

My guess would be fuel economy would be better on the WRX, maybe because I'm currently getting 185miles out of a TANK (16gallons) out of my 4cyl toyota p/u.

And if kids come in the picture I wouldn't think you'd need a trailer for the toys that most of your money would go towards
post #6 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 3:01 PM

Yeah, feel economy on that FJ will likely suck.

I don't think the FJ is a very practical vehicle, more of a camping/4x4'ing machine. It's going to make a lousy tow vehicle too, and seating will suck for the kids, there's no room, getting them loaded will be a chore compared to the WRX.

The best do it all machine I think out there right now is the Land Rover LR3. Lots of room, drives nice, should tow OK and very capable off road. It's even expressly stated in the warranty that it is not voided by off roading. (anyone who's had their "American" truck on a dirt road, then in for warranty work, will understand the significance of this)

EDIT: BTW, as a toy, that FJ looks real sweet.

Last edited by luvtolean; 12-28-2005 at 3:07 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 3:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
... It's going to make a lousy tow vehicle too...
Why?

Oh, and you couldn't give me a Land ROver. Besides, you're talking about a way higher price class there.

post #8 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 3:26 PM

Yeah, the Rovers are in the 40's. I guess "do it all" doesn't come cheap. The LR3 is truly kick ass at every day stuff and off roading though. Not many can make that claim. I'd say that vehicle's only downfall is gas milage and maybe price.

Bad tow? Weak engine, I'm guessing fairly light weight and short wheelbase. Same reason towing with a Jeep sucks.

I have friends WAY into their FJ's, and they are awesome vehicles; almost stock the 40's are incredible off-road. But they're toys.

post #9 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 3:32 PM Thread Starter

The only thing that makes a modern Landy any more off-road capable than anything else it its name... Once they ditched solid axles they became more of a highway-oriented vehicle IMO.

The weak engine has 230-some horse, the light weight is 4200 pounds... ya the shorter wheelbase would be a bit of a problem but it's got a boxed ladder frame and a solid rear axle. Probably pretty decent for occasional light towing.

Ya the old FJs are awesome off-roaders, but the only thing this truck shares with those old rigs is the grille. This thing is basically a de-contented 4Runner... kinda like what the XTerra is to the Pathfinder.

post #10 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 3:40 PM

Yes, I realize this is not the old 40. But it reminds me of one in execution. That front seat is going to be touching the rear when a 6 footer slides it back.

Ironically on the dog/family issue some friends went from a XTerra to a WRX wagon and they like it much more. Just put your dog in a crate in the back.

Personally, it's only a dog vehicle if it's not in the cabin...but that's a whole other issue.

No, the LR3 is outstanding off road. Navydevildoc has one and he embarasses modded wheeling stuff (by pulling them out) all the time with it. The thing even has a water fording setting. Cool machine.

post #11 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 3:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
I can undertand your logic to your decision but you have to decide if you want a car or truck then narrow down your options from there.
TBH there are too many options for me right now. The first thing I need to do is decide on what price range I can afford... If I'm looking in the 35 grand range (talking Canadian pricing here) it's either a WRX, FJ, Tacoma, or Frontier. 25 grand range puts me in either a Civic SI, 2WD Chevy truck, or 4 cylinder Accord. Under 20 grand and I'd get a Yaris or something used. Price of insurance is a huge factor. I was quoted 4 grand a year for a WRX. Once I turn 25 it gets cheaper though.

post #12 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
TBH there are too many options for me right now. The first thing I need to do is decide on what price range I can afford... If I'm looking in the 35 grand range (talking Canadian pricing here) it's either a WRX, FJ, Tacoma, or Frontier. 25 grand range puts me in either a Civic SI, 2WD Chevy truck, or 4 cylinder Accord. Under 20 grand and I'd get a Yaris or something used. Price of insurance is a huge factor. I was quoted 4 grand a year for a WRX. Once I turn 25 it gets cheaper though.
I'm in the middle of a similar decision, only for me I dont want a car payment so I'm trying to be patient and find a rare deal on something I like. And if I stall long enough say....oh I dont know SIX MORE MONTHS!!! I'll be 25 and can get some form of a break on my insurance
post #13 of 19 Old 12-28-2005, 6:39 PM

Very cool looking phobe... but I would take the WRX hands down. I used to have a 98 jeep cherokee to pull things with and it sucked(big time) My car will pull circles around it.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-29-2005, 6:42 AM

Yuck! Mr Toyota ugly. A Defender at least looks the part.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-29-2005, 6:49 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Looks more like the FJ55 than the FJ40

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page