Macs do have a weakness - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Macs do have a weakness

it is true. No ext2 or ext3 file system support in 10.4 So I am battling the dreaded 'doz hardware (and losing)

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 2:39 PM
 
Join Date: 02-04-2005
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
it is true. No ext2 or ext3 file system support in 10.4 So I am battling the dreaded 'doz hardware (and losing)


Au contraire mon Ami! You have to remember that those crafty open source zealots don't rest for long! You want ext2? No problem:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Edited for a better link.
navydevildoc is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 3:15 PM Thread Starter
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc


Au contraire mon Ami! You have to remember that those crafty open source zealots don't rest for long! You want ext2? No problem:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Edited for a better link.
Read post one. The sourceforge site also specifically states no Tiger (10.4) which I have on everything.

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 3:33 PM
 
Join Date: 02-04-2005
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Bummer. Didn't see that. This has been a problem for me on and off, but since I have Debian and Suse right next to the Mac, and they are all on the network, it's no problem for me, I use Samba to move things back and forth.

But... if you need to mount an actual filesystem, yeah, you are screwed.

To make matters worse, the PPC macs use a completely different partition map on the drive itself, one that meets old-skool CHRP standards.

It looked like you were going to install Debian on the Intel box to do this... you consider VirtualPC?
navydevildoc is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Bummer. Didn't see that. This has been a problem for me on and off, but since I have Debian and Suse right next to the Mac, and they are all on the network, it's no problem for me, I use Samba to move things back and forth.

But... if you need to mount an actual filesystem, yeah, you are screwed.

To make matters worse, the PPC macs use a completely different partition map on the drive itself, one that meets old-skool CHRP standards.

It looked like you were going to install Debian on the Intel box to do this... you consider VirtualPC?
Considered it down the road so I can store maps on the laptop in case I had to reload at the track.

However for development I have everything I need on the Mac except the ability to run fsck on a corrupt card Thus two days wasted with linux and 'doz (yes I have a SATA disk as my main disk)

I forgot what a ROYAL pain XP is to install and if I see one more thing called WIZard or another annoying exPERT popup

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 4:26 PM
 
soon2b954's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
 
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Windoze Rulz!

Look, lean, believe!!
soon2b954 is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 9:47 PM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2004
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
       
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b954
Windoze Rulz!

Yeah right. Try another one.

Help me understand here. EXT2 and EXT3 are Linux file systems. What does windows have anything to do with it? OSX 10.4 is BSD. It should be able to read/write to EXT.
colryn is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn
Yeah right. Try another one.

Help me understand here. EXT2 and EXT3 are Linux file systems. What does windows have anything to do with it? OSX 10.4 is BSD. It should be able to read/write to EXT.
Nope no ext support on the Mac and I need it for my board which requires ext2 on the media card (and jffs2 on the chip which is a whole nother thing) That is why I am fighting with Debian on the 'doz box

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 7:47 AM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2004
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
       
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Nope no ext support on the Mac and I need it for my board which requires ext2 on the media card (and jffs2 on the chip which is a whole nother thing) That is why I am fighting with Debian on the 'doz box

Try another form of Linux. Debian is one pain in the ass flavor. RH or SUSE is better at installing in my opinion. I have found to many quirks with a Deb install. Maybe it is because I have more experiance with the other two.
colryn is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn
Try another form of Linux. Debian is one pain in the ass flavor. RH or SUSE is better at installing in my opinion. I have found to many quirks with a Deb install. Maybe it is because I have more experiance with the other two.
Considered it but the flash card has Debian since it runs on ARM. I would like to keep the OS list in the sheepfold below 5

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 1:17 PM
 
Join Date: 02-04-2005
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Macs do have a weakness

You know, if all you need to do is fsck and the like, try just running a live CD of knoppix. You don't have to load any OS that way, just boot the CD, do what you need to do, and that's it.
navydevildoc is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 1:31 PM Thread Starter
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-13-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
You know, if all you need to do is fsck and the like, try just running a live CD of knoppix. You don't have to load any OS that way, just boot the CD, do what you need to do, and that's it.
fsck failed me I am thinking I need a whole new image and format. Plus when I get further along and want to make a JFFS2 image for my flash I need utilities that seem to only be available on linux. I am now trying to do a Suse install if it works I may pony up the $$ for the commercial disks (downloading the five CDs now) I want a browser and other tools. Kind of a set back but I have started rough outlines of circuits and requirements (for the onboard computer project) during the load time

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 1:58 PM
 
Join Date: 02-04-2005
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
fsck failed me I am thinking I need a whole new image and format. Plus when I get further along and want to make a JFFS2 image for my flash I need utilities that seem to only be available on linux. I am now trying to do a Suse install if it works I may pony up the $$ for the commercial disks (downloading the five CDs now) I want a browser and other tools. Kind of a set back but I have started rough outlines of circuits and requirements (for the onboard computer project) during the load time
Knoppix will do all of this... it's basically a Linux OS on a CD that does not touch your hard drive... worth at least the time to burn it from an ISO and see if it will get the job done.

I have it loaded on my iPod to boot up machines that have issues when Windows sucks itself in.
navydevildoc is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 2:01 PM
 
Join Date: 08-01-2001
Posts: 14,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: Macs do have a weakness



You mean like mine?

Knoppix saved my ass for sure.



luvtolean is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 12-30-2005, 7:06 PM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2004
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
       
Re: Macs do have a weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Considered it but the flash card has Debian since it runs on ARM. I would like to keep the OS list in the sheepfold below 5

My PDA runs ARM and it is RPM based not deb based. I know the OS is freely available on the web. It is a very nice OS that mimicks redhat to a "T".
colryn is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So how long do I have? showmethebombs Off-Topic 31 04-16-2005 2:26 AM
Nissan Frontier Do I have a Deal? DEPO Towing / Transport 11 01-26-2005 9:40 PM
FS: All my Macs sheepofblue Off-Topic 30 01-13-2005 8:02 AM
kinda lights do you have? roadrunner954 Honda FireBlade 1 06-19-2003 11:37 PM
Do MotoGP bikes have neutrals? Baketech Road Racing: Professional 11 05-13-2003 4:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome