Trick to dual boot Linux? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Trick to dual boot Linux?

OK I have felt the pain and do not want to repeat a Windows install. Is there a 'good' way to install a bootloader to dual boot window XP and Debian Linux? I have XP on a SATA drive and Linux on a IDE drive, save me!

Thanks

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2005, 10:37 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Trick to dual boot Linux?

You need to install Windows first and Linux second. Lilo won't overwrite the MBR, Windows will.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Is there a 'good' way to install a bootloader to dual boot window XP and Debian Linux? I have XP on a SATA drive and Linux on a IDE drive, save me!Thanks
Good and bad news here (I think):

Bad: I haven't dual booted for a while (~2 yrs) but when that was the case there were some problems with LILO - It couldn't access the kernel image unless it was on the 1st partition on the drive, and it couldn't boot windows from a second (seperate) drive. So an ideal setup would be:

Hard disk 1:
partition 1: Tiny Ext2/Ext3/ReiserFS (as small as ~20MB - just enough for /boot) *BOOTABLE
partition 2: NTFS for windows

Hard disk 2:
partition 1: Ext2/Ext3/ReiserFS
partition 2: Linux swap.

Then all you would have to do is mount your root at /dev/<hard disk 2, parition 1>, put LILO in the superblock of /dev/<hard disk 1, partition 1> and everything would be fine. Unfortunatley, moving NTFS around is a pretty big pain and that may or may not be an option for you.

But, hopefully they have fixed that issue and I am wrong. Perhaps you can set your Linux partition as active and boot XP from the other drive. Sorry if this post doesen't really make a lot of sense I'm tired and going to bed now. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

nope it makes sense, although I am using Grub. If I have to go through another 'doz install though takes a freakin' day with all the restarts and custom driver then a gig of updates

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 PM

Alright, my mistake I thought you were using LILO. Apparently grub can do it. Though Ive never configured grub on dual boot so can't help beyond that. Again, good luck.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbike
Alright, my mistake I thought you were using LILO. Apparently grub can do it. Though Ive never configured grub on dual boot so can't help beyond that. Again, good luck.
didn't say it could. Still trying to find the secret handshake. Might have to try you idea

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 AM

I have a dual boot system, SUSE and XP.

Navydevildoc did the set-up really. We just added a SCSI drive to my PERC controller and installed SUSE on it as the boot disc. SUSE saw everything right off the bat and in it went.

I've only done a few Windows installs, but I haven't seen where you could do it without blowing away Linux either.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-30-2005, 1:13 PM

OK, there are 2 major issues here; one is setting the boot priority on your BIOS so the IDE drive is the default boot device. Get GRUB installed and working so that Debian boots. Forget about windows for now... it's safe.

After you can boot into debian all nice and happy like, then you get to edit your GRUB config to add your SATA drive to the boot menu. Problem here is that the boot loader MUST be able to see your SATA drive before the Kernel loads. Usually this is done by some trickery by the BIOS to make it look like a regular IDE drive.

If you look in 'info grub' you can see how you interact with GRUB's shell. You will need to figure out which drives are which under GRUB, which is different than how XP or Debian will see them. If you have a partition map around, that's helpful too.

You will need to add an entry to GRUB to point it to Windows XP's patition and execute the right chainloader.

In the end, it's gonna be a pain in the ass because it's SATA. GRUB gives you lots of tools to work around its retartedness, but this is going to be painful for a few hours.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page