Apple's market value surpasses Dell - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 7:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Apple's market value surpasses Dell

Time for your daily dose of Apple iKoolAid:

From http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8206/

On October 6, 1997, in response to the question of what he'd do if he was in charge of Apple Computer, Dell founder and then CEO Michael Dell stood before a crowd of several thousand IT executives and answered flippantly, "What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

A little more than a month later, on November 10, 1997, new Apple iCEO Steve Jobs responded, speaking in front of an image of Michael Dell's bulls-eye covered face, "We're coming after you, you're in our sights."

Today, after a little more than eight years of hard work, Apple Computer, Inc. passed Dell, Inc. in market value. That's right, at market close Apple Computer ($72,132,428,843) is now worth more than Dell ($71,970,702,760). Got any snappy responses for that one, Mr. Dell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 7:09 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: Apple's market value surpasses Dell

Payback is a bitch. I wonder if JobsŪ sent him an e-mail or called? I would.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #3 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 7:15 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Dell is going down the tubes within the decade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 7:17 PM

Reputation Power: 18

The public are sheep, no offense Blue!
iCrap

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 7:19 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Think this covers it...
post #6 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 8:28 PM

Reputation Power: 42

After reading that they've sold over 30 million iClods, I find it curious that it's still called Apple "Computer"...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 8:32 PM

I wonder what aPple would be like if they ran/promoted their systems with Windows OR OSX?

I'll admit, many of their newer designs are at the very least mechanically superior to the stuff running down the assembly line next to it designed by Dell and others.

...in bed.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #8 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 9:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

The good ol' tech cycle. Dell became what they themselves set out to destroy. They aimed for the world leader at the time, Compaq, destroyed them and became them.
Time for a new alpha male that will in turn be devoured by the next.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 9:35 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
The good ol' tech cycle. Dell became what they themselves set out to destroy. They aimed for the world leader at the time, Compaq, destroyed them and became them.
Time for a new alpha male that will in turn be devoured by the next.
Yep when you try to be the cheapest solution there is never enough cheap

Must obey the sheep dog
post #10 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech
After reading that they've sold over 30 million iClods, I find it curious that it's still called Apple "Computer"...
com·put·er
n.
  1. A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.
Apple is still a computer company. They're just not a PC (Wintel) company. Yet.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-13-2006, 9:55 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech
You can actually run Linux on an iPod...

Must obey the sheep dog
post #12 of 30 Old 01-14-2006, 5:05 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Market Value, what's that? Is the same measurement that had Palm ahead of GM the day they went public?

How about sales income or P/S as value? I haven't looked it up but I bet Dell does hell of a lot better there, but I am willing to be proved wrong...
post #13 of 30 Old 01-14-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 22

Hmmm.... I am looking all around for more information, but it seems that most companies have not yet released CQ4 numbers that are pretty crucial to a consumer oriented company. Apple announced 5.7 bn in revenue for the quarter, but Dell has not yet announced.

In the end, I would assume that Dell has the larger revenue stream, but piss-weak margins. Plus, the areas they are expanding to are also VERY razor-thin, i.e. plasma TVs. Their saving grace is their professional services arm, which is traditionally VERY margin rich.

On the other hand, Apple typically commands a higher price for their products, and until very recently didn't have a "direct" competitor technology wise (PPC vs x86). But it would appear that their new Mactel laptops and iMacs are going to have very close price parity with Dell and HP, which gets consumers in the door. I would venture to guess that Apple is willing to let a little margin slip to get more Macs in homes to go along with their very margin rich iPods, which in turn also drives up "Pro" mac sales a la G5 and XServe/XRAID. Don't forget all the other accessories that Apple makes a killing on, such as the 10% iPod tax.

Also, being in the IT sector I can already tell you that a LOT of hard core geeks are just drooling over the possibility of a dual-dual-core desktop screamer machine running OSX with some type of windows emulation or VMWare. The nirvana of bulletproof UNIX under the hood with the sweet GUI, and gobs of desktop apps is close at hand. Plus Apple's machines just LOOK cooler, which is a huge deal for the Alpha IT Geek. Don't be surprised if you start seeing the Mac slowly showing up in the Corporate Arena, albeit under the radar.

The other area Apple can really start to compete in is the CPU intensive workstation space. Once the Mactel workstation comes out, with a 64 bit clean OS, and the ability to run Windows apps in some kind of jail, they will begin to penetrate that revenue and margin rich environment as well. Think high-tech R&D, bio-tech, pharmaceutical, and energy.

I guess what I am getting at is that Dell is aiming for the consumer area, where CE companies have already made the margins unbelievably small. Apple on the other hand is letting the Dells, Sonys, and Samsungs of the world have that, and are instead aiming squarely at the margin rich professional computing space... and doing it with a product line that is quickly becoming second to none. This in turn raises profits and dividends.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Hmmm.... I am looking all around for more information, but it seems that most companies have not yet released CQ4 numbers that are pretty crucial to a consumer oriented company. Apple announced 5.7 bn in revenue for the quarter, but Dell has not yet announced.

In the end, I would assume that Dell has the larger revenue stream, but piss-weak margins. Plus, the areas they are expanding to are also VERY razor-thin, i.e. plasma TVs. Their saving grace is their professional services arm, which is traditionally VERY margin rich.

On the other hand, Apple typically commands a higher price for their products, and until very recently didn't have a "direct" competitor technology wise (PPC vs x86). But it would appear that their new Mactel laptops and iMacs are going to have very close price parity with Dell and HP, which gets consumers in the door. I would venture to guess that Apple is willing to let a little margin slip to get more Macs in homes to go along with their very margin rich iPods, which in turn also drives up "Pro" mac sales a la G5 and XServe/XRAID. Don't forget all the other accessories that Apple makes a killing on, such as the 10% iPod tax.

Also, being in the IT sector I can already tell you that a LOT of hard core geeks are just drooling over the possibility of a dual-dual-core desktop screamer machine running OSX with some type of windows emulation or VMWare. The nirvana of bulletproof UNIX under the hood with the sweet GUI, and gobs of desktop apps is close at hand. Plus Apple's machines just LOOK cooler, which is a huge deal for the Alpha IT Geek. Don't be surprised if you start seeing the Mac slowly showing up in the Corporate Arena, albeit under the radar.

The other area Apple can really start to compete in is the CPU intensive workstation space. Once the Mactel workstation comes out, with a 64 bit clean OS, and the ability to run Windows apps in some kind of jail, they will begin to penetrate that revenue and margin rich environment as well. Think high-tech R&D, bio-tech, pharmaceutical, and energy.

I guess what I am getting at is that Dell is aiming for the consumer area, where CE companies have already made the margins unbelievably small. Apple on the other hand is letting the Dells, Sonys, and Samsungs of the world have that, and are instead aiming squarely at the margin rich professional computing space... and doing it with a product line that is quickly becoming second to none. This in turn raises profits and dividends.
Word.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-14-2006, 12:46 PM

I'm not going to talk about their business model, because I don't know apple's strategy. I'd bet apple is hungrily eyeing the lower margin desktop space, but we'll see. Their new laptop definately crashed margins in notebooks. Forever.

I don't think the "Apple in simulation" will happen on a large scale with OSX unless you can direct boot Windows. The "helpdesk" guys at most medium sized companies cannot support Apple, and therefore there are specific rules banning their purchase for us non-IT geeks. Emulators have always been available, and this did not ever save them.

Sun has been able to sneak in, but this is mostly legacy attitudes. If I were to go try to argue with a VP about my needs for a high dollar Apple, to them a school computer/MP3 player company, I think the road is tough. Especially since they can tell me just to buy a Precision workstation from our preferred vendor.

Small R&D firms will have the choice, but I still bet they stick to cheaper machines like roll your own multi-node machines.

In my company no matter how much I wanted one, I couldn't get it. I think this will be the same at most.

...in bed.

Last edited by luvtolean; 01-14-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page