Adding a hard drive - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 7:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Adding a hard drive

Ok, dicided to take the hard drive out of one of my computers and add it to another since the power supply and processor took a dump in it.

So, the drive is compatible. I have actually swapped them and had the comp boot up with either one.

Only thing I am not sure about is how the computer will react when i boot up after adding this other hard drive in there since it also has a OS loaded on it. All I really want to do is erase everything and then use is to put all my music and movies on when i start doing some editing. Anything I should do at startup to just go ahead and format it or will it boot up fine and I can go thru install from there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 7:50 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Adding a hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome
Ok, dicided to take the hard drive out of one of my computers and add it to another since the power supply and processor took a dump in it.

So, the drive is compatible. I have actually swapped them and had the comp boot up with either one.

Only thing I am not sure about is how the computer will react when i boot up after adding this other hard drive in there since it also has a OS loaded on it. All I really want to do is erase everything and then use is to put all my music and movies on when i start doing some editing. Anything I should do at startup to just go ahead and format it or will it boot up fine and I can go thru install from there?
In your Bios there is a primary drive (the current one should be selected) and it will try it first, find and OS and boot, no worries. After copying the data you can have more drive space or create a Linux system for dual booting

If it selects the old drive just swap the bios (unlikely)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 9:16 PM
Fig

Getsome,
If you are putting it on the same IDE cable as the other, you might have to make it a slave. Look for jumpers on the back. As long as you don't pin it as master and have the other drive as master as well, it should just show up on your computer as another drive with data on it. The only real reason to reformat it would be to reclaim the space the OS loaded onto that drive is taking up.

You could get fancy, and have a dual boot system where your pc can boot either the current hard drive, or this drive, but that's a little more involved. For now, just plug it in, and boot up. As long as you don't touch your current drive, it should just show up as extra space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

OK, i figured it would be good but once i move the jumper to slave and install then i should just beable to delete all finles on the that drive including the extra windows OS then. just wanted to make sure my comp wouldn't do anything stupid when i did it. never threw another internal drive in before..

now just to figure out which of the other 3 sets of pins is the correct one to make it the slave. they aren't marked...
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

go to the drive manufacturer most have that online. Also IF you are removing the data I recommend a format. That way extra errors, spyware, virii are deleted. Clean slate.

Must obey the sheep dog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page