Shaving head for good cause?!?! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-28-2003
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Can you guys help me out w/ something? I don't understand why people say "I'll shave my head if I can raise XXX dollars in donations for cancer research" (or whatever the cause is).

I got flamed recently on a different board b/c I made a joke saying that I wouldn't donate b/c I didn't want this girl to shave her head. People got really, upset. Said I was "insensitive" and all that crap. I don't get it. Why is it, that if someone w/o cancer shaves their head, that they are showing support for those that are going through chemo? I'm missing that connection.

For the record: My sister-in-law is a cancer survivor. My grandfather wasn't so lucky, and my aunt will soon be victim to this same fate. So it's not like cancer has not affected my life. I'm all for raising money for good causes, but why shave your head? Why should that encourage me to donate or donate more?

It just seems like this chick was waaaayyyyy taking herself too seriously. After awhile it was like "damn, you really think a lot of yourself".

I guess I'm ranting now....

HD
Heavy-Dee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 3:48 PM
 
Join Date: 08-01-2001
Posts: 14,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

People shave their heads to be bald like chemo treatment patients.

I think it's all right, but lame as a statement to raise money online.

It's more like something you do if your friend or maybe classmate has it.



luvtolean is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 3:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-28-2003
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
People shave their heads to be bald like chemo treatment patients.
right, I get that. I just don't understand it. I think *that's* lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean

It's more like something you do if your friend or maybe classmate has it.
Still lame. IMO
Heavy-Dee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 4:00 PM
 
Join Date: 08-01-2001
Posts: 14,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Heh. Well, I don't really know what to say.

I'd do it if maybe a friend's child, or a niece or nephew, got it and all their hair was falling out, and they were real self conscious about it...I can see how it might make them feel better.



luvtolean is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 4:01 PM
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-12-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
Can you guys help me out w/ something? I don't understand why people say "I'll shave my head if I can raise XXX dollars in donations for cancer research" (or whatever the cause is).

I got flamed recently on a different board b/c I made a joke saying that I wouldn't donate b/c I didn't want this girl to shave her head. People got really, upset. Said I was "insensitive" and all that crap. I don't get it. Why is it, that if someone w/o cancer shaves their head, that they are showing support for those that are going through chemo? I'm missing that connection.

For the record: My sister-in-law is a cancer survivor. My grandfather wasn't so lucky, and my aunt will soon be victim to this same fate. So it's not like cancer has not affected my life. I'm all for raising money for good causes, but why shave your head? Why should that encourage me to donate or donate more?

It just seems like this chick was waaaayyyyy taking herself too seriously. After awhile it was like "damn, you really think a lot of yourself".

I guess I'm ranting now....

HD
Instead they should GROW their hair long. Then shave it to donate to chemo/radiation patients for wigs (people that do that get )

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 4:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-28-2003
Posts: 6,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Instead they should GROW their hair long. Then shave it to donate to chemo/radiation patients for wigs (people that do that get )
Yea, my wife did that a few years ago.
Heavy-Dee is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 4:34 PM
 
Join Date: 07-25-2002
Posts: 4,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
             
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Heck...my head is shaved year round.... showing my sensitivity for the cancer victims. =)
RRWANTR is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 4:48 PM
 
sheepofblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-12-2004
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 14,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
Yea, my wife did that a few years ago.
Tell her sheep gives her a 4 hooves up

Must obey the sheep dog
sheepofblue is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 4:55 PM
 
roadrunner954's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-2002
Location: Lincoln, NE
Age: 47
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19
 
How about a Pink shirt then?

I would rather shave my head then where a pink T-shirt everytime I go out. See here : http://tracysangels.com/story.html

I AM NOT SAYING I WOULDNT support this cause, but for me to wear a pink shirt it would have to be for a good friend or family member I guess.

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."
roadrunner954 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 5:53 PM
 
Join Date: 07-14-2003
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

An ex had amazing natural red hair and would grow it long and then cut it once a year for "locks for love" or something of the sort. I thought it was a good cause. I can see the "self concisous" thing but that wouldn't score as many points with me as donating it to a wig shop like she did.
pushbike4 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 6:16 PM
 
Join Date: 02-09-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

If someone, or a group of people is willing to send me $1000, I'll gladly shave my head as soon as the check clears.

I'll even post a pic of me shaving it as proof.

Mo Noyz is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-24-2006, 6:20 PM
 
ND4SPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-07-2002
Location: US
Age: 16
Posts: 16,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50
                     
Re: Shaving head for good cause?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWANTR
Heck...my head is shaved year round.... showing my sensitivity for the cancer victims. =)
And it gets cold up here....now that's dedication!
ND4SPD is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
65 Autographs for a good cause WildBillF1 Road Racing: Professional 0 11-12-2005 1:23 AM
954 Head vs. 929 Head victoRR Honda FireBlade 1 09-15-2004 12:36 PM
Rode With The Hardleys Today (for a good cause) bwhip General Discussion 7 06-09-2004 1:54 PM
Shaving Flywheel? Jake Honda FireBlade 17 09-05-2003 9:51 AM
One good thing choppers are good for... alexandra Off-Topic 8 08-12-2003 7:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome