Getting back in shape. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 2:03 AM Thread Starter
Fig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Getting back in shape.

This is going to be tough guys, but I am now determined. I am sick of being the fat dad standing around a group of guys who look like they all just got off the photoshoot for the Bowflex.

I went out and bought a nice bike tonight. Well, for some of you hardcore bikers it may not be that nice, but for me, it's a step up.

I mounted my gps on it so I can get some real numbers. I got on and went for a spin. I managed 2 miles, and about 10 minutes of riding. I know, that's nothing for some of you guys, but this isn't going to be easy for me. I have some pounds to drop, and can't start off with a 20 mile trip. Luckily, I live around some nice hills, so when I get up the strength and stamina I can make a run for them.

My goal is to get back to around 200 lbs. I will settle for 220, and was looking for a HD Tv for my Xbox 360. I have since said that I cannot buy the Tv until I lose the weight. It's my incentive, plus like I said earlier, seeing myself in pictures just makes me ill. I am not getting any younger either.

So here goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 5:06 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: Getting back in shape.

Good luck, you can do it! If I can, anyone can! Start counting calories to get a handle on your portion sizes. Eat low fat. Do 1/2 hr cardio at least 5 days/week. Throw in some weightlifting if you can.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 8:13 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing more than most people. You live in an awesome spot to train yr round. Take it easy and take is slow.

If you remember anything, remember this, your metabolism is going to take about 6-8 weeks to change and for you to really see any results. Since you are in a desert environment I cannot stress the intake of water enough. Not coffee, beer, soda, wine or whatever, WATER. Stay off the sportdrinks, if you are eating right there is no need for them. And, if you think you need them, 50/50. Those things are loaded with sugar and salt. Put it this way, if you are not peeing every hr and it is not clear, you are not drinking enough water. Get a camel back.
The body retains most what it gets the least of. Alot cases with people, that is water. Drink it.

And if you live in Saugus why have I not seen you out on your bike.

PM me, we meet at the bottom of Little T, then shoot through some other places, have brunch at Green Valley, head out to Lake Castaic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 8:16 AM

Good luck man. PM if you have questions or just want to vent. I've been there...actually it feels like I'm there every day. I've had success in the past and think that I have a unique perspective.

You can do it. It's not that hard once you actually decide to do it.

HD
post #5 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 9:03 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Im' struggling with my condition right now. Resolved to go to the gym minimum 3x a week... I've kept that promise so far but I know I'm not drinking enough water or eating enough small portions. Work is an issue; I leave the house at 0700 and don't get home until 1900. Then I still need to cook dinner and I end up pigging out cuz I haven't eaten since 1100. Then coffee, then finally the gym by 2100 if I even make it. It's all frustrating as hell because all I want to do is lose 10 measly pounds.

Now having said all that, I do feel like I'm making progress with my training routine, inasmuch as increasing my weights regularly and building stamina.

Fig: try circuit training. Instead of doing say, 3 sets of bench, 3 sets of pull downs, 3 sets of rows, etc, rather set up all of those workout stations and do a circuit of all of them without resting. You're doing the same amount of work but in rapid succession, so your heart rate stays up and you burn more calories. Repeat 2 or 3 times and throw in a 15 minute warm up and cooldown; I like the elliptical trainers.

Blah blah blah. You've already taken the biggest step, which is deciding to do something about it. Good luck.

And then there's this asshole...
post #6 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 9:20 AM

The diet is more important than the excercise, believe it or not. If you are going to excercise, make sure you change your eating habits as well. No fast food, no junk food, eat healthy but treat yourself once a week to good fatty meal. It's a real PITA getting started, but a month into it and it's easy.

Good luck.
post #7 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 9:40 AM

Take it from a guy who lost 30 lbs just a few years ago (around age 40), you can do it! Be patient, take it very easy at first, and you'll start to develop a momentum in your efforts. If it's important to you, you can be disciplined and the results will definitely be worth it. I never thought I'd get to the point where workouts would actually be enjoyable, but they are.

Best wishes for your success!
post #8 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 9:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
You've already taken the biggest step, which is deciding to do something about it. Good luck.
not to mention making a public announcement. Good luck, Fig..

I really let go of any discipline last year.. too much stress, not enough time, blah blah. But yesterday I signed up for a new gym in town that will open 2/1. It's accessible to members 24/7, so the scheduling excuse is a non-starter.
http://www.anytimefitness.com/

There. a public pronouncement of intent. Smaller is better, right?
post #9 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Cool man.

I think there are a couple of keys to it all.

First you're not on a diet. You're changing your way of eating. Forever. So no "crash plans". My first step in improving my diet was the elimination of soda. Totally. No "diet", nothing. I haven't had a soda in several years. Then I was like, OK I beat soda, what next? Ice cream. I used to eat it all the time. Now, it's a once a week occasion. I slowly worked my way into all of this.

Now it's better foods. My sister and I were talking and she pointed out no shopping in the middle aisles of the store, only the edges. If you think about it, she's right. The stuff around the edges is all of the whole foods. Fresh fruit, veggies, meat, dairy, breads...the middle is all of the processed stuff full of junk. Recently someone actually told my GF in line at the store she had the most healthy cart of food he'd ever seen. Also, limit your carbs at dinner. I'm not talking about fatkins, eat your carbs at breakfast and lunch, but keep your serving of starch small at dinner. (that one's been real hard for me, I love french bread)

Deez knows a bunch about all of this, but I'm going to totally disagree with him. When I stopped roadracing, I put mt biking in it's place. I didn't change a thing about my diet, other than maybe eating more, and I dropped about 15 pounds (170-->155, and I'm a 6 footer). But I was riding a whole bunch.

Keep your rides to a distance that is fun. If you're trying to do a real hard grind, you're working too hard, and you're less likely to get out. The most important thing is to get out often. When you're out riding, if you can stay out of the hills, try to keep a pace, no matter how slow, that allows you to talk while you're riding. Your body doesn't start burning fat for the first 20 mins on the bike. I drove through Saugus with G-force a couple of months back, you live in great riding country man, good choice with the bicycle.

post #10 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Just be glad you can train year round.

I can't
post #11 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 10:57 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Luvtolean made all that up. He literally eats nothing but granola.

And then there's this asshole...
post #12 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
Luvtolean made all that up. He literally eats nothing but granola.
In my first year of college, I took a nutrition class. We had to keep a food journal for 2 days.

I averaged about 6k kcals a day. The prof looked at me (at the time in the 140's after a summer of backpacking) and just shook her head.

post #13 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Fig

Thanks guys. I know this is going to be a lifestyle change as well. I will be honest and say that I don't have a clue when you are talking about carbs, fats, trans glutes, etc.. And I can't really say right now that I really want to know, but I am sure I will be picking it up as I go along.

For now, at least the exercise is a change for me. I really love my work, but at the same time, it's killing me. Especially weeks when I am on call. I have literally gotten up, gone to work, sat for 12-14 hours, gone home, and gone to bed with no real movement other than the occasional stroll to the restroom, or lunch room.

I am planning on cutting back on my portions, and I have been recently opting to run upstairs at work to get a nice salad from the salad bar instead of driving to a fast food place. But a total food makeover is going to be a little tough logistically. I will do what I can when I can.

Probably the best thing I have going for me is that I love water. Ice cold water is my drink of choice, so cutting out the soda is a breeze, in fact I don't drink that much soda unless I am at a fast food place. The eating out in general is going to be reduced. When we moved to our new house we bought a fridge with the ice and water dispenser. It's my favorite..

It's going to take some time, but I have to do this. I went paintballing this weekend with the kids, and was out of breath hauling ass from the truck to the field. Not to mention, I was like a sherman tank wandering out on the field. I have eaten sandwiches bigger than some of the kids I was playing against. I was also out of breath riding my two mile stretch last night. I can't live like this. I used to be able to ride a crappy bike on dirt roads all day long.

P.S. Mojave, I don't really ride that much in groups is probably why. I have narrowed down my friends list when it comes to group rides. I will keep an eye on the board for a ride posting, and see what I can do to show up. Or PM me when you plan the next one.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 11:22 AM

In my first or second year at work as a cube rat, this lady collapsed in a meeting. Just fell over. It was the last person I'd expect it would happen too. She is middle aged, but thin.

It turned out, it was stress related. She's one of the first in everyday, and last out. She now walks everyday at lunch at brings a healthy bag lunch.

On your lunchbreak, go for a walk. Even if it's only 15-20 mins, that's a whole lot better than nothing. And it's great for clearing the mind.

post #15 of 32 Old 01-27-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
Just be glad you can train year round.

I can't
They don't have gyms out there?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page