Serious doubts about career....... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 9:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Serious doubts about career.......

Any of you guys have a career that has nothing to do with what you studied in college?

I'm having some doubts about what I want to do when I get out. I'm almost done (6 months if I graduate, 3 months if I flunk out). I have my bachelors already and interned at a few places related to my studies, but nothing really got me fired up. I got bored quick.

How easy is it to get a job not related to your degree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 9:31 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Serious doubts about career.......

Wow a serious lack of information.

I have a BSEE but most of my jobs have been in computers or systems engineering. A degree just gets you in the door then you can get experience and find your niche. The other thing to remember is most degrees fit a wide variety of jobs so find yours. For instance I prefer scientific programming with some systems work. However I could easily get a job in management, programming of a variety of stuff, or systems engineering.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I have a BSCE, currently attempting MS. I interned at both government and private.

I actually had a job with the city when I first finished school. It was so boring, I was practically getting paid to sit on my ass. It was the most tedious, meaningless, and mindless job on earth. It was like watching paint dry. There was practically no engineering being done. It was mostly cost analysis on projects. Almost all the engineering was farmed out to private firms. That place was a joke. The starting pay and benefits were great, but I couldn't stand the work I was doing. I could have lived a reasonably comfortable life had I stayed but instead I quit after 3 months and went back to school.

My last job was okay, I was interning for a construction company. I liked being in the construction site and it was a blast learning about how a building is thrown together. My boss was great and he really explained the ins and outs of the business. I screwed up and got fired (late to work too many times).

So here I am. I may or may not flunk out of school. I have absolutely no work references and on top of that I was fired from my last job. I think my chances of getting a job in construction is horrible. So I'm starting from scratch. I feel like my life is ruined and I haven't even started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkeringkong
I have a BSCE, currently attempting MS. I interned at both government and private.

I actually had a job with the city when I first finished school. It was so boring, I was practically getting paid to sit on my ass. It was the most tedious, meaningless, and mindless job on earth. It was like watching paint dry. There was practically no engineering being done. It was mostly cost analysis on projects. Almost all the engineering was farmed out to private firms. That place was a joke. The starting pay and benefits were great, but I couldn't stand the work I was doing. I could have lived a reasonably comfortable life had I stayed but instead I quit after 3 months and went back to school.

My last job was okay, I was interning for a construction company. I liked being in the construction site and it was a blast learning about how a building is thrown together. My boss was great and he really explained the ins and outs of the business. I screwed up and got fired (late to work too many times).

So here I am. I may or may not flunk out of school. I have absolutely no work references and on top of that I was fired from my last job. I think my chances of getting a job in construction is horrible. So I'm starting from scratch. I feel like my life is ruined and I haven't even started.
You might have to go through some crap jobs to overcome the stigma of being fired however you are far from ruined. Go for it and be ready to be told no a lot of times. One yes and you are back in it, then improve from there. You can do what you want but it takes effort that is part of why we get paid

Good luck.

Ooops and show up on time in the future if that is what the boss wants

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Since I started working 10 years ago, the job I currently hold is really the only one that I can honestly say that I've been truly happy with. Professionally, it's taken me 3yrs and 3 jobs to get to where I am. It's not easy. You probably just spent a boatload of money on your education. Try to at least break even, if nothing more. Will I always do what I do now and what I went to school for? Not necessarily...but for now I found my niche and I'm going with it. We'll see where life takes me.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 11:05 PM

I can't speak for any other career fields, but I work in IT which has its own strange set of rules.

Mainly experience counts more than anything else when you are trying to get the job, but formal education is the main deciding factor when your pay is concerned. In my current and previous jobs I blew the interviews out of the water, since I know my stuff. But, HR wouldn't give me the pay I wanted, because I didn't have a degree. The recruiter for my current job went so far to say "It really doesn't even matter what the degree is in... it could be Underwater Basket Weaving for all I care, I just need to be able to check the box." I have had bosses with Physical Therapy and Liberal Arts degrees, and one of my former USMC Company Commanders had a masters degree in Physics from UC Berkeley. Just goes to show that your degree doesn't always dictate what you end up doing later in life.

For what it's worth, I absolutely hate my current job... I am already looking to quit in the next month or so, after having only worked there about 5 months. My last job was freakin AWESOME, but shitty management made everyone leave.

Last edited by navydevildoc; 01-29-2006 at 11:41 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Since I started working 10 years ago, the job I currently hold is really the only one that I can honestly say that I've been truly happy with. Professionally, it's taken me 3yrs and 3 jobs to get to where I am. It's not easy. You probably just spent a boatload of money on your education. Try to at least break even, if nothing more. Will I always do what I do now and what I went to school for? Not necessarily...but for now I found my niche and I'm going with it. We'll see where life takes me.
My debt isn't going to be too bad, that is if I can find a decent job. I also feel like I'll go where life takes me, but I'm just worried about the recent turn of events. I haven't been fired before, has me spooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I can't speak for any other career fields, but I work in IT which has its own strange set of rules.

Mainly experience counts more than anything else when you are trying to get the job, but formal education is the main deciding factor when your pay is concerned. In my current and previous jobs I blew the interviews out of the water, since I know my stuff. But, HR wouldn't give me the pay I wanted, because I didn't have a degree. The recruiter for my current job went so far to say "It really doesn't even matter what the degree is in... it could be Underwater Basket Weaving for all I care, I just need to be able to check the box." I have had bosses with Physical Therapy and Liberal Arts degrees, and one of my former USMC Company Commanders had a masters degree in Physics from US Berkeley. Just goes to show that your degree doesn't always dictate what you end up doing later in life.

For what it's worth, I absolutely hate my current job... I am already looking to quit in the next month or so, after having only worked there about 5 months. My last job was freakin AWESOME, but shitty management made everyone leave.
You are absolutely right about experience. At my construction job, everyone learned through experience. Compared to them, the engineers at city didn't know jack sh*t. I had a lot of respect for everyone at the construction company, they weren't all talk like the folks in city.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Any of you guys have a career that has nothing to do with what you studied in college?

I'm having some doubts about what I want to do when I get out. I'm almost done (6 months if I graduate, 3 months if I flunk out). I have my bachelors already and interned at a few places related to my studies, but nothing really got me fired up. I got bored quick.

How easy is it to get a job not related to your degree?
Okay, nothing in college could prepare me for my current position. So, that is kinda bass-ackwards.

My advice, graduate (suck it up and just do it) or earn your masters or whatever, in whatever the field or major is. At least that will show you can complete something (to counter the "can't show up on time" thing). Bonus is, you'll always have that to fall back on.

There are plaenty of ooprotunities in the "public service" or "social service" areas that ask for a degree, not necessarily in a related field - some are fun, and some suck.

Just find out what you want to do now, and do it. If that's not what you want to do forever, then go back to what you're qualified for (until something you want to do again comes along).
post #9 of 27 Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
There are plaenty of ooprotunities in the "public service" or "social service" areas that ask for a degree, not necessarily in a related field - some are fun, and some suck.
I'm afraid I can't agree there, but that's only because I've only seen the engineering side of "public service".

The worst out of all my jobs was working at Public Works. Those clowns had a job that a high school drop out could have handled. I remember one of my little projects there was to catalogue the trees in the city. WTF?! Anybody could have done that. I liked my cashiering job 10 times more than that, even though the pay was considerably less.

In city/public works, it seemed like (and I was also told) that the only way to move up was to kiss ass, that or you had better know someone. Experience didn't count for much.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
I'm afraid I can't agree there, but that's only because I've only seen the engineering side of "public service".
one word = intern, take it FWIW.

Going to school is the best way to show people (namely employers) you can learn something, and that you're hopefully responsible and have made an investment in self-betterment and will now do so for their organization. Even basket weaving as NDD said - but it shows that sponge upstairs is working.

No matter what kind of job you get - there will be learning involved, school just teaches you the principles or hopefully foundation for the base of knowledge you'll be acquiring in your field. So naturally employers want someone that has a dedicated track record for learning, managing assignments, etc. If you can't actually do that, well - you do the math.

Another very important thing to realize is you're young - your mind is most likely the most friendly to learning now. Should you decide to phuckit and flunk/leave/disassociate with school etc. - going back will always be a challenge and you may not have the option no matter what you believe now.

Obviously the choice you have in front of you is one that will affect your quality of life for the rest of your time on this planet. I highly suggest you stick with it and at least get the paper, then pump gas if you want to - but you still got the paper for when you decide otherwise.

I don't have a degree, very fortunately I was fostered into the technology field at a point in time when my skillset was in demand so not alot of questions were asked about education, it was all experience. I was going to school mind you, but the job I had at the time dictated otherwise and I somewhat hesitantly discontinued. It has never come back to 'bite' me per se except for the fact that degreed dudes are making 25k more then me for basically the same thing. Such is not the buisness climate now however (as far as hiring) - and that paper can at least usually guarantee that when push comes to shove you can breathe a little easier - most of the time.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and to answer your original question , in my team of 5, we have a guy with a horticulture degree (I believe), accounting degree, a marketing major, and another dude like me thats just been in the biz for awhile. We do 'network troubleshooting' to save me the brain-ache of explaining.

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #11 of 27 Old 01-30-2006, 2:06 AM

Guess what, a degree is a pass to get you foot in the door, most of the time you wont use 10% of wht you learned. Considering your history of getting fired because you could not even show up on time, I'm thinking your going to need all the help you can get. Stay in school just to get that piece of paper. Then find a job, any job you can learn from and get experience, and work your way from there. Like you said, thats where the real learning and markatable skills are learned. And dont worry if you hate your job, hell, I don't think I have ever like any job I have had, yet I've been at the same job I hate for 8 years. Work is work, not fun time. They get 50 hours of your time, and the rest is yours to do the things that actualy make you happy and put joy in your life. My 2 cents, YMMV.

Quote:

The worst out of all my jobs was working at Public Works. Those clowns had a job that a high school drop out could have handled. I remember one of my little projects there was to catalogue the trees in the city. WTF?! Anybody could have done that. I liked my cashiering job 10 times more than that, even though the pay was considerably less.

In city/public works, it seemed like (and I was also told) that the only way to move up was to kiss ass, that or you had better know someone. Experience didn't count for much.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-30-2006, 3:55 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I'm with G-Force here. Work is work. It is rare that people get to work at something they truly love and get paid for it at the same time. Not liking your job is par for the course. Find something you can do well and be paid well for. Then spend the money on something you really want to do.

I would love to be a professional motorcycle racer. But alas I am not. But I at least get to pretend to be one on track days. And those track days, bike, and parts are all paid for by my employer in the form of a paycheck to me. I don't love my job but I do love what I can do with the money it provides.

Remember, work to live, don't live to work.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-30-2006, 7:56 AM

We have peeps on both sides of that up here. I am not even close to my degree field but others are right in it.

We take new hires all the time here up at Lockheed. COme on up. Cheaper than LA and not a bad drive on the weekends.

It is a job and it is experience. Nothing says ya gotta stay. Just have to be able to get a clearance.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-30-2006, 8:19 AM

also remember that knowing what you don't want to do has value also. A lot of people wish they had tried X but had they some would have determined it was not for them. No job is perfect nor 100% fun, however if you have been to things that appeal less you can suck it up on the bad days easier

Must obey the sheep dog
post #15 of 27 Old 01-30-2006, 7:12 PM

Quote:

I'd put Public Works under "suck" (In my own opinion), but not all PW'ers are counting tree's. And I truly would rather "count tree's" than argue with some youngster at a register that he gave me a $10, not a $20.

Anyway, Social Service positions are almost always degree required, DA's office the same. Those are kinda interesting. The courts and city government always have positions (degree required, not nec. in field).

Lockheed (like Mojave said) has positions, decent money if you can get a clearance.

The idea is to complete whatever you started. As I sit on oral boards often, conduct backgrounds and such, it speaks volumes when someone completed something (even if it was a lame ass Sally Struthers degree) vs. how it would look to me that somebody completed 90% of Sally's degree and then dropped out?

Just advice though. Look into buying "What Color Is Your Parachute". A great reference which may point you towards what you want to do, even if you don't know...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page