F16 v. bird - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

F16 v. bird

Sent to me via e-mail. Cannot say if it's legit or not.

Quote:
"Listen closely to a very interesting clip: HUD (Heads Up Display) video of a two seat F-16 bird strike as they liftoff from the runway, followed by engine failure, and ejection.

It sounds like a student and instructor are doing "touch and go landings." As the video starts, the instructor asks for "closed rightstop" which is a right hand traffic pattern to a full stop on the next landing.

The bird is visible just prior to impact. A digital airspeed readout is visible in the upper left corner of HUD symbology (hard to readwith backlighting). Airspeed is about 228 knots at impact, and deteriorates to around 127 knots as the pilots climb, turn, and descend.

It took 45 second from bird strike to ejection In that time the pilots made two unsuccessful relight attempts, and got the aircraft pointedat a plowed field.

In the audio you hear the aircraft audio warning system articulate --- "Gear not down," and "D-6 NL.". "D-6 NL" means "no engine RPM." It happened quickly. The tower did not understood that they were ejecting, but thought they were "breaking out" of the pattern to the north.

Last edited by Chain; 05-07-2006 at 9:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: F16 v. bird

A bird can take down a multimillion dollar plane.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #3 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 PM

So cool through it all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:38 PM

No joke, controlled breathing and everything. That was an intense vid!

Any story behind it (newsy write-up)?
post #5 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
A bird can take down a multimillion dollar plane.

A piece of safety wire in the right (wrong) spot can ruin your day. And this is why we practiced those drills to the point where it caused PAIN!.

I am surprised you couldn't hear the ejection as well? Live to fly another day.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
No joke, controlled breathing and everything. That was an intense vid!

Any story behind it (newsy write-up)?
Don't know about the F-16 crews but, when we landed/took-off aboard the carrier in the mighty EA-3B Skywarrior we were on positive pressure. In other words, O2 is being forced down your throat, you have no choice but to control your breathing. They were pretty calm about it.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave954
Don't know about the F-16 crews but, when we landed/took-off aboard the carrier in the mighty EA-3B Skywarrior we were on positive pressure. In other words, O2 is being forced down your throat, you have no choice but to control your breathing.
Yeah, that makes sense. Forces people to breathe when they might forget to in situations where the pucker factor is high.

post #8 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:53 PM

Interesting that the AWS switched from an American accent (D6 NL) to a British one (Gear Not Down), and then back to American (same D6 NL). BAE avionics berhaps?

And it was male... all of the ones I have heard have all been female. Go figure. But that was some damn fine flying. Crew management at its best!

post #9 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 10:58 PM

We had one of our f-18's take a turkey buzzard down the right intake about 50 miles off the coast of virginia. The engine **** itself to the point of large parts coming out of the nozzle and the sides of the aircraft. With hydraulics pretty much gone and the aircraft in "backup-mechanical" mode which only gives him control via cables to the verical stabs located at the tail of the aircraft.

Our pilot was told to point the jet away from the coast and eject.. He promptly responded "go to hell, I am bringing it back!" to our XO who was flying with him at the time.
He was able to blow the gear down luckily with the emergency hydraulic accumalator and then did the hard fought flight of about 100 miles back to land and to the closest base to land.

Landing with one engine is enough of a bitch without strong crosswinds which he had to deal with, not to mention only having rear stabs for control.

We ended up taking the wings off of the thing, putting it on 2 flatbed trailers and transporting it back to Beaufort where we stripped it, repaired the outer cosmetics and it is now on a stick in front of the base... It was deemed way to costly to try to repair all the damage versus replacing it.

A bird can fuk up a plane real quick...
post #10 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Those were some mad skillz! Ice water in his veins for sure
post #11 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 PM

"Let's get a re-light goin', OK there in the front...keep flying the plane..."

"You ready to go? I'm ready. OK. We're ejecting to the north. Eject eject eject."

Very cool.

I just watched it several times trying to figure out everyone talking, that is a weird mix with a southern twang and a Nigel on the AWS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave
I am surprised you couldn't hear the ejection as well?
I don't know how long it takes from when the explosives blow until they sever their coms (on their helmets) but maybe that's the explanation? Simply too quick?

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-09-2006 at 11:23 PM.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 PM

I saw this video a few weeks ago, IIRC it took place in an RAF plane, hence the british accents. I'll see if I can find it again, probaly saw it on Fark.com
post #13 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 PM

I found it on muchosucko.com, but no better information other than the plane may have been a T-6 Talon trainer. Anyone familiar with that aircraft?
post #14 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 11:54 PM

Found this:

visit your site quite regularly, but I've never written in till now. The jet in question is a CT-155 Hawk. It is a jet trainer built by British Aerospace Systems and flewn by the Canadian Air Force.(CT-155 is the Canadian designation. The British designation is BAE 115 Hawk, or something like that.) The accident happened about 2 years ago in Moose Jaw, Saskatechewan, where a lot of the pilot training for the Canadian Air Force is done. I just completed pilot training there myself, although I didn't fly the Hawk.

Anyway, as you can see, they had a bird strike shortly after take-off. They were doing about 230 knots, and at 200 feet when they sucked in the bird. The one and only engine flamed out almost immediately. There was a student and instructor in the airplane at the time. The instructor immediately took control and attempted to turn around in order to carry out a forced landing. However, they didn't have enough altitude and decided to eject. They were at about 800 feet, 150 knots when the ejected. Both pilots survived. The student had virtually no injuries. The instructor severely injured his spine and broke his leg. The student returned to flying almost immediately. I am unsure if the instructor is back flying, but as of about 7 or 8 months ago, he was not.

Here is a link to a site with several pictures of the Hawk, as well as more info. I'd be happy to answer anymore questions you may have.

Cheers,
Mike G.
Pilot, Canadian Air Force
post #15 of 28 Old 02-09-2006, 11:54 PM

Investigative summary of the incident:
http://www.airforce.dnd.ca/dfs/pdf/R...I/CT155202.pdf

The mission was a navigation trip and part of a conversion syllabus designed to familiarize the Royal Air Force (RAF) student with the NFTC Hawk variant. With the area portion completed, the crew was conducting some proficiency flying at 15 Wing. The IP had just taken control and as the aircraft approached the departure end of Runway 29R, a bird was observed just left of the nose. Both crewmembers heard a thump, felt vibrations and noted a change in engine pitch. This was followed immediately by audio and caption engine warnings (T6NL&ECA) and high engine temperature indication (660 C).

The IP traded airspeed for altitude, confirmed that engine temperatures remained high, reduced throttle to idle and told the student to prepare to abandon the aircraft. The aircraft reached a maximum altitude of approximately 3700 MSL (1700 AGL). When the aircraft descended through 3000 MSL the IP transmitted his intention to eject to Moose Jaw tower. After confirming the student was ready, the IP ordered and initiated ejection.

Both occupants cleared the aircraft and descended under parachutes but for less than 30 seconds prior to landing. One crewmember was seriously injured in the sequence and the other received minor injuries. The aircraft was completely destroyed when it crashed about seven seconds later in a farmers field.

The investigation is on going and focusing on a wide range of issues including the aspects of low and slow speed (below 300 KIAS) engine failure in the CT155 and ejection criteria. Also, the investigation will examine engine performance after bird ingestion and aircrew life support equipment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page