Who's got their Private Pilot Certificate? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 2:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Who's got their Private Pilot Certificate?

Thinking about working towards mine later this year. I've got maybe a half hour of flight time in a glider and enjoyed it, 175 parachute jumps and enjoyed the flying under canopy part (not as much as freefall though I've also flown RC planes so that with my canopy training, I have a firm grasp on the mechanics behind it all, the controls and their effects, landing patterns, base leg, stall, flare, bla, bla, bla... Estimated cost? Suggestions? Recomended books or ??? Suggestion on headsets, seems David Clark is the standard...any particular model stand out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 2:59 AM

Re: Who's got their Private Pilot Certificate?

I've got 21.5 hrs. so far. Getting ready to solo. Here in the midwest you are looking at 60 - 80/hr for instructor and flight time. Minimum is 40hrs. for a license. Most are spending about 3000-4000 for their private license. Good luck and have some fun. I enjoy every minute.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 4:09 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

I have a few hundred hours (~270-300) and did all of mine through a part 141 school. I did mine in 40 hours as I was a fast learner, soloed in 9 hours, and I think with the costs we had at school was around $3200 total. After that I did my instrument, and got to my check ride, then it got scrubbed, and never got a chance to make it up. Ive done all of the nessasary requirements for the inst., just need to get current again and refresh myself on all of the approaches and holds etc...

As far as headsets, I have a Telex Echelon 100 which I added some gel earpads and have had outstanding results with them, though I have had my eyes on some Lightspeed Denali ANR's. David Clark are the standards, but I cant get over the baby-poop green color. I would reccomend going ahead and getting ANR or Noise Reduction off the bat, as IK have flown with them and it makes a big difference in fatigue.

As far as books, pick up the Gleim Private Pilot study guide, and software for the pc if you want it. Gleim is the biggest aviation study guide company in the industry.

When looking for a plane to fly, I reccomend going with a high-wing (Cessna) for primary training as it gives you a better view of the ground for ground reference manuveurs, and landings. You should have no problems in a 150 or 152, which will be cheaper than a 172. Since I was big-boned, I went with the 172 right out of the gate.

Let me know how it goes... If you have any questions Ill be glad to help.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 9:37 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

Don't skimp on quality headsets. They're like riding gear. You don't want to lose communications at the wrong time. You don't need the top of the line, but go with a reputable company like David Clark.

I've used David Clark for years, and could care less about the color. The mil is starting to go with Bose, but I don't know much about them yet. Noise cancelling is nice, but for short flights in a Cessna I'm not sure you really need it. However, I would highly recommend getting used to wearing earplugs and a headset.

Good luckwith the flying. Shop around, find a reputable school. I left one when I was beginning to learn b/c the instructor showed up 1/2 an hour late and very hung-over. I "nicely" told him to get lost and walked out.

Some community colleges offer programs. Also, decide what type of airport you want to fly out of when looking for a school. Larger airports can cost you money if you're sitting on the ground waiting for clearance to taxi or take-off.

Last edited by DUX; 02-11-2006 at 9:47 AM.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 10:56 AM

I was a hair-width away from taking my check ride, but for various reasons it was all put on hold. I have about 65 hours logged so far. It's a ton of fun, and if you can afford it, I highly reccomend it.

As far as gear goes, I started with a normal non-ANR headset, and then for christmas I treated myself to a Telex Stratus. Talk about a difference!! It really does help on fatigue, your ability to hear your instructor and ATC, and just provide a better experience in general.

Other goodies to have are a decent hand-held radio once you get ready to solo, and possibly a hand-held GPS that's designed with aviation in mind. I also had Gleim books, but it was more up to my instructor on what books to use. You will also need to buy charts, an Airport/Facility directory, an E6-B , and other miscellaneous supplies.

Good thing you are just north of LA, you can get plenty of practice operating in busy airspaces. It's nothing to be afraid of, you just have to know how to work the system. It also prepares you for both your written and checkride, since both seem to stress the airspace system rather heavily.

Overall, I would reccommend it to anyone that has the time and money, it really is a blast!
post #6 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

Save the money.....buy more bikes.

post #7 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Uh-oh, find your next hobby G?

post #8 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 1:01 PM

This is something I've always wanted to do as well, but was told that it's expensive (more than what I've seen posted here), and so have not pursued it. Like DUX said, "Buy more bikes." But I still want to get the pilot license.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 1:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Uh-oh, find your next hobby G?
I got a ride in a Cessna when I was about 5 or 6 and always wanted to learn to fly since. We'll see
post #10 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 1:45 PM

Don't be a wuss....take helo lessons instead.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
Don't be a wuss....take helo lessons instead.
I have a friend who is doing that... heard an ad on the radio that "helicopter pilots are needed badly!!!" and to come down to their flight school. He bought into it hook, line, and sinker. So, when he is done he will be a VFR Commercial Rotary Wing pilot, with no turbine training.

This is after some insane $50,000 in tuition.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 4:00 PM

I have a commercial license, single engine land, multi engine land, and instrument rating. Total hours ~500. Unless you are doing this as a hobby, personal interest I do not recommend it. There is only a "donut" of interest for private aviation (unless you have **** pots of money, and can afford "big iron" - biz jets). Inside the donut, you drive, outside the donut you fly commercial. The donut starts somewhere around 120 miles (depends on local conditions/traffic, etc...), and ends somewhere around 300 miles. Even then, you will likely need a rent car when you get to your destination, which tends to shrink the donut from a cost point of view. Ownership is EXPENSIVE. Cost of anything decent is ~$100K, and you will have ~$10K of annual expenses (hanger, tie down, insurance, annual, etc...), and this is if the aircraft just sits. You will also need an instrument rating for the license to be really useful (lots of deaths every year from "get home itus", when the weather is bad, and bad decisions are made). However, it is a challanging endevor, and is really more about information management (navagation, instruments, communications, engine management, FARs, etc...) than it is about eye hand coordination. Which is not to say that the landing is not important. If that interests you go for it. But be forewarned, it is expensive, and of little practical value. IMO
post #13 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 4:05 PM

i jump out of planes....

Last edited by anabatic; 02-13-2006 at 7:50 PM.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john954rr
I have a commercial license, single engine land, multi engine land, and instrument rating. Total hours ~500. Unless you are doing this as a hobby, personal interest I do not recommend it. There is only a "donut" of interest for private aviation (unless you have **** pots of money, and can afford "big iron" - biz jets). Inside the donut, you drive, outside the donut you fly commercial. The donut starts somewhere around 120 miles (depends on local conditions/traffic, etc...), and ends somewhere around 300 miles. Even then, you will likely need a rent car when you get to your destination, which tends to shrink the donut from a cost point of view. Ownership is EXPENSIVE. Cost of anything decent is ~$100K, and you will have ~$10K of annual expenses (hanger, tie down, insurance, annual, etc...), and this is if the aircraft just sits. You will also need an instrument rating for the license to be really useful (lots of deaths every year from "get home itus", when the weather is bad, and bad decisions are made). However, it is a challanging endevor, and is really more about information management (navagation, instruments, communications, engine management, FARs, etc...) than it is about eye hand coordination. Which is not to say that the landing is not important. If that interests you go for it. But be forewarned, it is expensive, and of little practical value. IMO
That is the feedback I was getting. It's daunting to consider the financial side of it, and that's what keeps me away. I flew a Cessna over Annapolis and the surrounding area with a licensed pilot and loved it, which is what keeps me looking into it. Too bad it's so pricey.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-11-2006, 8:05 PM

I would argue the price... you are assuming that you own the airplane.

My situation is perhaps unique here in San Diego, but the weather is almost always CAVU and I can get a club plane for less than 100 bucks an hour if I really want, including Avgas. That would be a 172 with GPS and DME. If I wanted to bail to Palm Springs or Vegas for the weekend it's a simple flight, without having to deal with Southwest or equally crappy airline. There are always planes available, so that's not so much of an issue.

If I needed more speed or space, we have Cirruses (Cirri?), Dutchesses, and Meridians availble, you just have to get checked out on them.

Central coast or bay area gets a little more complex, usually because of fog... but it is certainly manageable.

It just depends on the price you place on not having to deal with freeway traffic, TSA dolts, and long lines at the airport.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page