Gonna try to snowboard ** And Im off - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 5:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Gonna try to snowboard ** And Im off

I think Im going to try to go boarding in a couple of weeks for the first time. Looking to go to Sugar in NC. I have been skiing before, but not boarding though I hear it is fun. I have had people tell me to rent my gear locally instead of at the mountain, though Im not sure if anyone here rents as there is no place to ski or board for a couple hundred miles. Guess Ill have to call around.
Anyone have any good advice for a first time boarder?
Chris

http://www.skisugar.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 5:26 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Gonna try to snow-board

Oh, and if I do rent on-site, do they include boots or am I supposed to show up with some?
post #3 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 5:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Boarding is cool I've been skiing for about 20 years, and only tried boarding for the first time 2 years ago - I decided to learn while in Whistler with my SO - I picked it up pretty quick and was boarding down black runs by the end of the day. Maybe not with too much grace, but I digress...

Try it, it's fun

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 5:59 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

If there are better quality boots to rent then get those, makes the day much happier with good pair of boots.

I generally use my cordura mtorbike gear for boarding, has the advantage of the CE armour in the knees as well as shoulders and hips. I just hire the boots and board off the mountain because its easier, also a bit of extra choice since there are usually 2 or 3 ski shops within walking distance.

I've had solid ice on my very first attempt, on this occasion I had wrist guards that were good value but it was VERY painful still, glab of the knee pads in my cordura pants. Also has solid ice at Corronet Peek in NZ the 3rd day at Queenstown, after that day I went out and got a pair of impact shorts, my whole body hurt but mostly my coccyx. Ironically overnight there was 2 foot falls, best of the season, so it didn't matter how you landed i was soft soft powder.

Last edited by matt232; 02-16-2006 at 6:23 AM.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 6:13 AM

Reputation Power: 31

It's a blast! If they rent equipment, they'll have boots, too. I skied for many years before trying boarding. It's different. No gentle falls to the side that you can have on skis. You slam on your butt or your face. I always wear knee pads. I found it was harder to get the basics down compared to skiing, but then I progressed to an intermediate level quicker than I did on skis.
Take a lesson!! That's the best advice I can give. I didn't the first time out and if I had, it would have made a world of a difference.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 8:28 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt232
I generally use my cordura mtorbike gear for boarding, has the advantage of the CE armour in the knees as well as shoulders and hips. I just hire the boots and board off the mountain because its easier, also a bit of extra choice since there are usually 2 or 3 ski shops within walking distance.

I've had solid ice on my very first attempt, on this occasion I had wrist guards that were good value but it was VERY painful still, glab of the knee pads in my cordura pants. Also has solid ice at Corronet Peek in NZ the 3rd day at Queenstown, after that day I went out and got a pair of impact shorts, my whole body hurt but mostly my coccyx. Ironically overnight there was 2 foot falls, best of the season, so it didn't matter how you landed i was soft soft powder.
Matt touched on everything I was going to say about falling. Especially on man made snow, you're going to want as much protection for your knees, tail bone, and wrists as you can get. If you can't find a snowboard shop, find the nearest skateboard shop. The falls you'll encounter are eeriely similar to skateboard falls; knees, wrists, tailbone, head. When you first start out, you're going to fall. A LOT! But by the end of the day, you should be able to stand enough to stay up for a few hundred feet at a time.

Don't let the frustration of the beginning of the day (or the 8 year old kids blowing by you) ruin it for you. The learning curve is steep and within a couple of trips, you'll be going off small jumps. Also, once you can travel about 15-20' before falling, get off the bunny slope. The extra speed helps keep your balance and will help you stay on your feet.

Last point. Unlike skiing, you want to wear baggy pants and a jacket. It will be even harder to get up if your suit is tight. My first trip, I borrowed a ski suit from a friend and I wanted to die after the first hour of fighting.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 8:31 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Be prepared to fall....a lot
post #8 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 9:10 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
It's a blast! If they rent equipment, they'll have boots, too. I skied for many years before trying boarding. It's different. No gentle falls to the side that you can have on skis. You slam on your butt or your face. I always wear knee pads. I found it was harder to get the basics down compared to skiing, but then I progressed to an intermediate level quicker than I did on skis.
Take a lesson!! That's the best advice I can give. I didn't the first time out and if I had, it would have made a world of a difference.

You will likely do better than a fat old sheep but plan on falling the entire first day. Once it clicks though you make a big jump in ability (unlike the gradual curve of skiing). I would rent it at the hill. Most ski hills quality has improved and you are doing a day. Also if you rollerblade wrist guards are a big plus (if you can fit them) the most common ski injury is knees, snowboarding is wrists.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 9:51 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Niner-
I've been snowboarding for about 8 years now, and like everyone said the first thing to be prepared for is the fact that you will fall...a lot.
Also, protective gear is a good idea, and if you can't rent from a shop off the hill, most certainly the hill will rent equipment.
The most important thing that you can do IMO, is get a lesson. I had my friend teach me my first time, and let me tell you it makes a world of difference. It'll be frustrating the first time for sure, but if you have someone to coach you will learn a lot quicker...and hopefully fall less!

Oh, and the most important thing for a first time boarder to learn: How to stop!
post #10 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 10:23 AM

After many years of skiing I switched to boarding about five years ago, and I haven't touched my skis since! I found that it takes about three days, then it suddenly clicks. "Harder to learn, easier to master" than skiing, but well worth it. Just be patient through those first three days, prepare to fall a lot, but then it will be pure heaven! Best if you can go on a day with soft snow - don't go during icy conditions unless you want to hate it.

Have a blast!
post #11 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Reputation Power: 16

wear some pads especially a tailbone pad of some sort. Yoiur going to fall alot I used to wear a pair of rectors knee pads when riding. Oh and make sure you pick up that leading edge when you turn or you'll go down hard.
post #12 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
After many years of skiing I switched to boarding about five years ago, and I haven't touched my skis since! I found that it takes about three days, then it suddenly clicks. "Harder to learn, easier to master" than skiing, but well worth it. Just be patient through those first three days, prepare to fall a lot, but then it will be pure heaven! Best if you can go on a day with soft snow - don't go during icy conditions unless you want to hate it.

Have a blast!
NC == Ice

Must obey the sheep dog
post #13 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you can ski, you'll pick up boarding fast. I'm the opposite of others in that I found it simple and boring. Can't do half what you can do with skis.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 11:39 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Yeah, don't fall on a chuck of ice off to the side of a trail and crack your ribs. That was the extent of my first day trying to snowboard. Got a free ride down on one of them nifty sleds behind a snowmobile though.

Like others have said be prepared to fall a lot. It took me about a half hour to make it down the bunny slope the first time. I picked it up pretty quick and before I knew it I was taking the lift to the top and following a friend who ha dbeen sking for many years. Had a blast.

Dan
post #15 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 11:48 AM

I decided to try boarding for the first time at night (in the spring time) without a lesson. Big mistake, I was very beat up, and had literally worn holes through my (cheap) gloves.

Often resorts have a board/boots/lesson package for newbies. Look into that.

Don't listen to the ski snobs, boarding is not boring, and the first day on a board is harder than the first day in skis. You can't snowplow on a board, you have to commit to turning it sideways to stop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page