Bike won't wheelie - me or the bike? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 5:47 PM Thread Starter
ajb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Bike won't wheelie - me or the bike?

I hear how everyone just whacks the throttle open on their 929 and the front wheel comes up in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. When I do it even in first gear nothing happens. I have a PCIII and hindle slip on. The bike seems to run fine, but it is not the magical wheelie bike that everyone claims it to be. The only way the front comes up is if I snap the throttle shut then snap it open. Other 929 owners who use this technique would flip right backwards, am I correct? Don't get me wrong, I'm not one for stunting, but I would just like to know if there is something I'm missing in my technique, or is it the bike?

I bought the bike with the exhaust and PCIII, so I'm not sure what the acceleration feels like stock. Maybe I should try going to the zero map to get a better sense of what is lacking from the bike. If you have any recommendations on what map I should use I would appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 5:51 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Take it away Conq............

post #3 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 6:10 PM

With stock gearing you should be able to put the bike in 1st gear, get going about 35MPH, and then just roll it wide open quickly and have the front end come up. Simple as that. I don't do a whole lot of wheelies so I can't comment on 2nd and 3rd gear stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 6:25 PM Thread Starter
ajb

If I go around 35mph and whack the throttle open full the front might come up an inch or so, then the rev limiter kicks in. Should I position my weight more towards the back of the bike? I don't really care about pulling the wheelie, just more about why my bike doesn't seem to have the phenomenal power everyone else’s has.
post #5 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 6:35 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Your bike shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter in first gear until well past 35 mph. I don't usually hold first gear that long but I would guess closer to 80 mph when it starts bouncing off the limiter.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #6 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 6:48 PM Thread Starter
ajb

That is sort of what I'm saying. *When I whack on the throttle at 6-7000rpm nothing much happens. *It is not until when the bike starts to get close to the rev limiter does the front end start to come up very slightly. At what rpm should I whack open the throttle?

post #7 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 9:15 PM

As a total non-wheelie expert, sounds like perhaps the tranny is slipping?
post #8 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 9:16 PM

Maybe your bike is defective, you should take it to the dealer and have it checked out. Tell them nothing happens when you try to wheelie.

post #9 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 9:22 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Maybe the HTEV is stuck
post #10 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 9:30 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Try running the revs up to about 11 grand and then dump the clutch. If it slips, you will know it. Kidding.

I have no real idea of how to wheelie. My insterest in that stopped after I popped it up a couple times. However, you probably need to roll the throttle off before whacking it open. In other words, compress the suspension forward and then let the springs help you lighten the front as you open it up. Roll off at 8 grand, open it at 7 grand and it should work. Try it without a full tank of gas too.

This is all just regurgitation of what other people have said. I don't have much practical experience to draw from.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #11 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 9:58 PM

You also may very well be spinning the rear tire.

Another consideration, maybe it is not stock gearing.

Rather than going by speed, try it by rpm. About 5000, if I open up my 954 in first, LTF out and hang on!!!! rather than a rapid snap though, try a continuous dialing the throttle open, nice and smoothly, and progressively, buy dont be slow about it. By the same token, a hard instantaneous twist is bad too. It can spin the tire, or it can put you on your head.

One more consideration is your suspension. If it is set too soft, the suspension can actually absorb the bikes natural tendency to loft the wheel. If set too stiff, it will have more of a tendency to spin the tire since the weight transfer is not happening the way you want it to.

All things considered, I would start with reloading the PC III map for your bike and pipe setup from the www.powercommander.com website. The stock onboard Dynojet map is not the ideal map at all. The preconfigured map for the pipe/air filter/bike combination is closer to being right. Ideally, the best way is to have it tuned at a Dynojet Tuning Center on their dyno to get the optimum fuel/air ratio settings custom mapped for your bike. The map on the site is a good starting point, and it is free.

I am assuming you are doing this in a controlled environment, not a public roadway.

Try my suggestions at your own risk. I accept no responsibilty for dangerous activities of any kind performed improperly in any place. Nonetheless, I hope this helps.
post #12 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
ajb

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really think it has something to do with the power output of the bike. Perhaps it is because dynojet does not make a map for a hindle slip on or bolt on (they only have the map for the full hindle exhaust). I guess the best thing is to take it to a shop with a dyno. I'm more of an analytic type person. Bike will or won't wheelie is not something to start my investigation on. I need to see the bikes numbers on the dyno to confirm my suspicions. I don't really like trying to do wheelies just to test the power output of my bike (seems a bit extreme). But then again I have read some ones post on this site who claimed the mechanic tested his bike by pulling some wheelies on it...what a clown that mechanic must be!
post #13 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 10:37 PM

Reputation Power: 22

I cant beleive this isnt locked yet!

Life is Good, Life is Great
post #14 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Mine never liked to wheelie either, not that it bothered me too much, I didn't really wheelie anyway - not on the 929. When I got the full hindle and PCIII and had it tuned - then she just powered up in third without even having to think about it - though that was kind of discovered by accident when merging onto a freeway, opened the throttle to get up to freeway speed and merge and found my front deciding it would be a good time to take off. Considering this happened just after my dyno tune, it confirmed that my hindle and PCIII combo worked.

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #15 of 70 Old 08-23-2003, 10:46 PM

The bike most likely doesn't wheelie for one reason and one reason only: your genetic instinct for self-preservation.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page