Rudimentary Networking Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2006, 2:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rudimentary Networking Question

Two relatives of mine are together on a home based business. One has to drive to the other's house several times a week to invoice and do various things on the other PC since it's the mothership with the master invoicing software and other programs installed on it.

Is there a way to network the two machines together or otherwise allow remote access from one machine to the other? Both computers are connected to the Internet via cable modems. Both run Win XP Pro SP2.

With some help from Conq, I have tried to link the two PCs together with Win XP's Remote Assistance, but each time I do I get a dialogue box that pops up explaining that Remote Assistance failed because "the remote host name could not be resolved." (I have a screen cap I can e-mail anyone interested.)

Could the fact one machine has a laptop tethered to it via wireless router be giving the other end fits? Perhaps there is firewall software running on either or both machines that I don't know about? Do these cable modems have dynamic IPs which make it impossible for repeated hook-ups, one to another?

Other thoughts...

https://www.gotomypc.com/ - anyone know anything about it?

How about http://www.putty.nl/ ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2006, 2:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Rudimentary Networking Question

If they have a wireless router, you'll need to do that port forwarding for port 3389 like I mentioned. On the router, set that port to be forwarded to the internal IP of the laptop. (Probably something like 192.168.1.2 or such.)
(Assuming that the laptop is the one that needs to be "taken over" with Remote Assistance.)
post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2006, 3:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, it's actually not the notebook that needs to be taken over, but rather the desktop PC in another room.

I'm afraid this port business may be a bit over my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-21-2006, 3:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Is the desktop behind a router? If so, you'll need to forward the port there like I mentioned above; to the internal IP address of that desktop. If not, then you need to make sure there is no firewall blocking port 3389; if there is, open it.

Since you said they're both running XP Pro, you can just use Remote Desktop instead of messing with the Remote Assistance stuff.

Find out the public IP address of the desktop. Have her go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ to get it.

Once you have that, run the Remote Desktop client on your end (the laptop). It should be installed by default, and will show in Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications. If it's not there, you can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Once you have it installed and running, it will prompt you for a computer name/IP address. Enter the public IP address of the desktop and it should connect and allow you to log in as if you were sitting in front of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page