New Kimber 10MM's - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-21-2006, 3:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New Kimber 10MM's

Nice, Kimber has released 10MM chamberings in two of their 1911 models.

The Eclipse Custom II

and the

Stainless Target II

I saw one at Turner's in Riverside and was like

They're even Cali legal.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-21-2006 at 4:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-21-2006, 4:14 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Re: New Kimber 10MM's

As a fan of the 1911 I love to see when companies branch out and explore new things. However I'm not a big Kimber fan. Great gun for going to the range but not one I'd use for EDC.

Dan
post #3 of 24 Old 02-21-2006, 4:56 PM Thread Starter

I don't know much about Kimber. Just what I read on 1911forum. And who knows what that is worth.

But I'm pretty excited by the prospect of a new 10mm 1911 I can buy in Cali. I'm not a big fan of either gun's features/looks, so I'd probably buy the cheaper of the two and plan to send it to a smith.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-21-2006, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I don't know much about Kimber. Just what I read on 1911forum. And who knows what that is worth.

But I'm pretty excited by the prospect of a new 10mm 1911 I can buy in Cali. I'm not a big fan of either gun's features/looks, so I'd probably buy the cheaper of the two and plan to send it to a smith.
They are great looking guns, from what Ive seen. Unfortunately Ive not been impressed by them when Ive shot or handled them.

Ive also read that they have been having a lot of trouble with their extractors. They also have been known to have some fail to feed problems. As for 1911s, I really think the best bang for buck goes to Springfield Armory or Smith and Wesson. They make amazing 1911s out of the box and they function flawlessly. They also come in at a bargain for what you get.

I heard SA may make a 1911 in the new .45 GAP round soon.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-21-2006, 9:56 PM

What makes a gun Cali legal?
post #6 of 24 Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
What makes a gun Cali legal?
They have to be submitted to a test (I think it's a drop test) have some features on the gun, and then get put on a list. If the gun is not on the PROK cert list, you can't buy it.

post #7 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 9:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrSurfr
They are great looking guns, from what Ive seen. Unfortunately Ive not been impressed by them when Ive shot or handled them.

Ive also read that they have been having a lot of trouble with their extractors. They also have been known to have some fail to feed problems. As for 1911s, I really think the best bang for buck goes to Springfield Armory or Smith and Wesson. They make amazing 1911s out of the box and they function flawlessly. They also come in at a bargain for what you get.

I heard SA may make a 1911 in the new .45 GAP round soon.
As a result of the extractor problems Kimber has made a major change to their production line and will go back to the internal style extractor. The tolerances are far too tight on Kimbers and as a result are very picky as to what ammo they will shoot. My Springer at first had some issues and after sending it back to SA it has never one given me another problem. I had a sub-par extractor in it from the factory. I sent it back and got a free trigger job and a bunch of other "mods". By far SA has the best warranty you will find in any firearms manufacturer. They stand behind the products they sell. My S&W has been flawless from day one. I put over 1000 rounds through it during my "Will I use this gun for carry" test, and it never faulted. Both my SA and S&W will shoot whatever you feed it and IMHO that's a very important thing to consider.

As for the 45 GAP round. SA will run a limited initial run of the round in one of their "carry" size 1911's. I don't remember if it is the Micro or Ultra compact it will be in.

Dan
post #8 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
As a result of the extractor problems Kimber has made a major change to their production line and will go back to the internal style extractor.
Yeah, the one I looked at had an internal extractor.

My Springer has been great, only real problem I've had was one of the factory mags failed. I've had lots more problems with my stupid Beretta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
As for the 45 GAP round. SA will run a limited initial run of the round in one of their "carry" size 1911's. I don't remember if it is the Micro or Ultra compact it will be in.
Micro. They're going to reduce the grip size accordingly making it as small as possible.

It's an intriguing carry gun IMO.

post #9 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 10:16 AM

Springfield factory mags are horrible. I trashed mine within 2 days of owning my first Springer. Just go buy some Wilson 47D mags and you'll never have another mag problem again.

I've yet to shoot the GAP round myself. Talking to a few friends has changed my mind about it though. At first I was a bit skeptical about it. Just thought it was another way for Glock to get money. The numbers are quite impressive on it.

Dan
post #10 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Actually, these are nice ones. They're stainless McCormics with slam pads.

The welds failed on the bottom plate while out shooting. Pulled the trigger, and guts all over the table.

post #11 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM

Mine were also CMC mags with slam pads. I was shooting a match and was walking to my next target to engage, I dropped my mag and went to "slam" one home. The slam pad cracked and broke off allowing the two mount screws to puncture the skin on my palm. I was very unhappy and will never own another CMC mag.

Dan
post #12 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Duly noted....speaking of that, I need to order some mags. Any favored vendors?

post #13 of 24 Old 02-22-2006, 12:36 PM

Brownells has been good to me.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...aspx?p=16398&s=

Another is www.midwayusa.com

Dan
post #14 of 24 Old 02-23-2006, 12:16 AM

+1 On the Wilson Combat mags. Best mags for the money. Speaking of S&W 1911s my latest beauty came home today !!!!!

oohhh, Scandium.....soooo light. Its sad when a full mag feels heavier than the gun !
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0432.JPG‎  

Last edited by SlvrSurfr; 02-23-2006 at 12:27 AM.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-23-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrSurfr
+1 On the Wilson Combat mags. Best mags for the money. Speaking of S&W 1911s my latest beauty came home today !!!!!

oohhh, Scandium.....soooo light. Its sad when a full mag feels heavier than the gun !
Looks just like mine! Scandium is the shiz for sure. I was a bit apprehensive how it was going to shoot with it being at light as it is. I was very impressed after the first round down the bbl. The S&W is my current carry gun and trust it's function with my life. This year S&W are making the fullsize with Scandium as a full production line as well as railed versions .

Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page