Portable Satellite Radio Review - Very Impressive! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 32

Portable Satellite Radio Review - Very Impressive!

After sitting on the fence for quite a while regarding satellite radio, I recently saw a review of a portable device for receiving XM Radio that sounded really good, so I decided to give it a shot.

It's a Pioneer AirWare, and here's the review I read (among others):
http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_AirW...-31423012.html.

I found it for just $99.00 after rebate, which is an amazing price for such a cool product. It's about the size of an iPod, and works on your hip, in your car, or home or office.

I just received it today, and hooked it up in my office. It comes with all kinds of different accessories, like a small window antenna, another small one for your car, fake cassette adapter for your car (plus it already sends an FM signal to your car stereo without a separate transmitter), all kinds of mounts for your car, a carrying case, cables, earbuds, etc.

It took just a few minutes to hook it up to the speaker system in my office, activate the system on line by subscribing to XM (about $12 per month), and learn how to use the device. Dozens of commercial-free options to choose from, including lots of different music channels, talk radio, sports, like four different comedy stations, and so on.

I also tried it in my car, and walking around outside, and it generally had excellent reception and sound quality. You can preset a whole bunch of stations and even record five hours of programming into internal memory to listen to later. Should be great for me for a variety of purposes - listening in the office at work, in the car (especially on long trips with little radio reception), and while mountain biking, and so on.

For $100.00 or so I must say I'm pretty impressed, and based on what I've seen and heard so far, I recommend it highly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to Custom900
Re: Portable Satellite Radio Review - Very Impressive!

Sounds like a cool little device. Too bad I put all of my extra money into the bike. Oh well, guess I'll just have to look for reception off of the old FM.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 12:47 AM

Reputation Power: 45

Wonder how long until "pay radio" is back to having commercials like cable TV?

After they kill all the good free FM stations?

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 1:02 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to CBR Riding Fool

I have Sirius, But you gotta did the selection of music channels and a larger playlist that both companies offer. Plus Howard Stern for his fans, the show is great on Sirius without the FCC to interfer.

NASCAR is NOT a sport, it's something people watch to drown out the noise of the latest Garth Brooks album.

Greasemoneky motorsports
WSMC #542
Cycle Gear,Goodridge, Michelin
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 3:06 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Call XM and tell them you are dissapointed and want to cancel your subscrition, say its too expensive for what you get. You'll be amazed at the deal they will cut you. XM is peeing their pants in fear right now over the explosion of Sirius...I have heard of XM going as low as $3 a month to keep people.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 5:05 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Wonder how long until "pay radio" is back to having commercials like cable TV?

After they kill all the good free FM stations?
You may be right, but I hope not! There are no good FM stations here, at least IMO. Surprising, since we get the NY stations. They all have so many commercials I can't stand it. I was listening to FM in the garage the other day and it was awful.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 6:15 AM

Reputation Power: 31

I haven't used XM but Sirius already has commercials. GoToMyPC, FIRE (some debt reduction company), and a couple others. They play about an hour or so of music, play one commercial, then play an hour of music, play the same commercial, and so on and so on and so on.

I emailed them about having "100% commercial free music" and was told they don't play commercials but feel they are justified by providing information about services available to their Sirius listeners.

It's way less than normal radio and I can plug in a station and listen to it from NY to CA without changing the station or losing reception but I don't need to be wordsmithed. I get enough of that at work.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 9:55 AM

Reputation Power: 25

I have XM in both of my 4 wheeled vehicles. No commercials is the main reason I switched and I'm loving every minute of it. I haven't had to listen to a commercial on the radio in 1.5 years!

22 days until it begins...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page