Air Force - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Re: Air Force

With the way the job market is going(nowhere), I've sorta been tossing the idea of the AF around. I already have a college degree, am in the tech field and could nearly double my current salary in my first year.

Can anybody give any suggestions, advice, input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-27-2003, 11:55 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Your contract is on the way. Don't read it just sign and return.

I'm an AF recruiter. PM me if you need any info.

Craig
post #3 of 19 Old 08-27-2003, 11:56 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Overall it is the best service.

You should definitely go in as an officer.

There's a world of job options in it.

Don't, under any circumstances, trust the recruiter or the MEPS posse.

That is all for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 12:01 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Definately the best service as to how well you're treated, they advance a lot more slowly in the enlisted ranks though, go officer if you can
post #5 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 12:04 AM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : Don't, under any circumstances, trust the recruiter or the MEPS posse.
Ouch. The recruiting horror stories I have seen have mostly involved Marine and Army recruiters. I'm not implying anything negative about the branch, just the recruiters.

Craig
post #6 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Skully : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 27 2003, 9:56pm)Don't, under any circumstances, trust the recruiter or the MEPS posse.
Ouch. * *The recruiting horror stories I have seen have mostly involved Marine and Army recruiters. *I'm not implying anything negative about the branch, just the recruiters.
Depends on the recruiter, I've heard horror stories of ridiculous lies from every branch. *My recruiter was very honest

....if it sounds too good to be true, they're a liar BTW

post #7 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 12:28 AM

I've often thought that if I had it to do over again, I would have stayed in/retired from the military. Early retirement, great medical benefits afterward, etc., etc. But I was a rebellious kid from the late '60's, and it's a miracle that I made it through my 2 years of active duty without serving time in a brig (came damn close) I say think it over carefully, don't rush your decision, and do what your heart tells you. You have plenty of time, you young punk you!
post #8 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Bacchus : I've often thought that if I had it to do over again, I would have stayed in/retired from the military. *Early retirement, great medical benefits afterward, etc., etc. *But I was a rebellious kid from the late '60's, and it's a miracle that I made it through my 2 years of active duty without serving time in a brig (came damn close) * * I say think it over carefully, don't rush your decision, and do what your heart tells you. *You have plenty of time, you young punk you!
Of course, the longer you wait, the older you are at retirement, I can retire at 37
post #9 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 1:21 AM

True dat!
post #10 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Skully : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 27 2003, 9:56pm)Don't, under any circumstances, trust the recruiter or the MEPS posse.
Ouch. * *The recruiting horror stories I have seen have mostly involved Marine and Army recruiters. *I'm not implying anything negative about the branch, just the recruiters.
Speak for yourself. Any branch you go into doesn't automatically guarantee you a certain job or position. And always go officer and not enlisted if possible. True I turned down going into the Air Force academy and becoming an officer only to choose going in the Marines as enlisted. My dad was a career officer in the Air Force and at the time, well Bacchus, take it from here.. I had a rebellious side as well and had to be different. Besides, I always wanted to be a fighter pilot, Marine, and a cop. 2 outta 3 ain't too bad.

Go for being an officer and not enlisted if that's for you. It is a better life and leads to better opportunities in the future.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
post #11 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 2:05 AM

I'm not sure about the other services, but the Naval officers jobs all suck big time, I've turned down 3 recommendations to go officer from the higher ups at work, they had a funny look on their face when I told them their jobs suck
post #12 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 3:27 AM

Quote:
There are exceptions (and you may very well be one ), but most recruiters are like slimy car salesmen.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 8:13 AM

It may open some doors for you down the road in the aviation biz and your timing might be perfect. The industry is in a deep slump right now - right on schedule. In about 4-5 years the big up swing will happen and we'll ride that crest for another decade. Good luck with your decision!

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #14 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 12:08 PM

Well I'm with the rest of the crew here... The Air Force is the most tech laden of our armed forces with many career paths to choose from. Officer is the better of the the E vs. O world and if it's something you find you enjoy, you can retire out with a decent benefits at a young age. Regardless, if you find it's not for you, it's not a forever commitment and you would be out in no time with plenty of options in front of you. Keep us posted.

h8
post #15 of 19 Old 08-28-2003, 3:24 PM
ER

I'm pretty sure you have the greatest chance of flying something cool if you go into the Marine Corps... . 3 or their 4/5 fixed wing aircraft are cool and all of the helicopters look interesting. Besides, you would get to wear the globe and anchor on your shoulder with pride for the rest of your life.

I wanted to be a fighter-pilot for the USMC but I never pulled the string. I got as far as talking with the officer recruiters but I never went through with it. Back then there was a short delay between OCS and Basic-school, followed by a six-month to a year delay between Basic-school and flight-school.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page