Computer help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2006, 5:15 PM Thread Starter
DUX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 21

Computer help

This is kind of funny, to me at least.

Last night there was a strong thunderstorm approaching so I was good for once and shut down my computer. I unplugged the surge protector from the wall and left it all alone until the storm passed.

I went back upstairs to get everything restarted. As I plugged the surge protector into the wall I was surprised by a small spark and a pop. Everything seemed ok so I pushed the button to turn the computer on.

As the computer booted, the CD Rom drive started cycling open and closed. Once the computer was up and running, the drive stayed open.

If I try to close it the tray retracts and the light flashes for a few seconds, then opens again.

I've googled some possibilities and here's what I've done.

1) Possible Virus. I've run a full scan on my computer. Nothing found.
2) I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drive on Windows (XP)
3) I've completely shut down and restarted the computer.

Did the spark somehow get through the protector and fry the drive? Is there any way to check?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2006, 5:17 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Re: Computer help

I know this will sound strange, but it sounds like the button on the CD drive is stuck. Make sure that not only the plastic piece on the front but the button on the drive itself is not jammed in any way.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2006, 5:30 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to southpark460 Send a message via Yahoo to southpark460

If it does it before Windows even loads, it's not a software problem. You can test this by popping up the boot menu (F8 after the BIOS scan) and seeing if it cycles there too. If it doesn't start until after Windows is booted, I'd try safe mode to see if it still does it. If it does, then you can worry about virus or driver issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2006, 5:38 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Buy a new drive for $50 and enjoy your new coffee mug holder
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2006, 6:01 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX
This is kind of funny, to me at least.

Last night there was a strong thunderstorm approaching so I was good for once and shut down my computer. I unplugged the surge protector from the wall and left it all alone until the storm passed.

I went back upstairs to get everything restarted. As I plugged the surge protector into the wall I was surprised by a small spark and a pop.
I don't know about the other stuff, but I can tell you what caused the spark (electrician!).

I would bet you left the power switch on the surge protector in the on position, even though the computer was shut off. Right?

As you plug in something that is immediately drawing power, you'll see that spark from the outlet to the cord cap. It's normal for most electronic stuff. TV's are the most common. They keep the transformer running all the time to speed up power on. The power supply in your computer also is on (in a standby mode) all the time even though your computer might be shut down. Or it could have been from some other device plugged into the power strip. Cell phone charger, etc. Anything with a transformer.

Andy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page