Doz does Linux . . . - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 1:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39

Doz does Linux . . .

link

and your girlfriend too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 1:51 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Doz does Linux . . .

EDIT: PCWorld article
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125301,00.asp

Last edited by ND4SPD; 04-05-2006 at 1:58 PM.
post #3 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 2:52 PM

Reputation Power: 22

That's like trying to power your Lamborghini with a Yugo engine.

OK, all jabs aside, if you follow the sysreqs and procedures to the letter, it is supposed to be a fairly stable platform. But I will still take VMWare ESX any day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 3:06 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via AIM to colryn

That company kills me. Several years ago, if you searched their website with the word Linux you received a response of "No topics found" for your search request.
post #5 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:13 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 39

Evidently they looked at doing an OSX port, but figured no one would care . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #6 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:18 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Evidently they looked at doing an OSX port, but figured no one would care . . .
not enough viruses

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:22 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
not enough viruses
because there aren't enough users...

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #8 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
because there aren't enough users...
the entire blue sheep army

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:27 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Nope, just a pragmatic computer user. NDD tells me that at it's core, OS X is more secure/less buggy. Fine. I won't argue.

If your beloved Apple stuff becomes as popular as windows ( )...you'll see just as many problems, or nearly so.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #10 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Yeah it's more secure because not as many hackers care to mess with it. Same with Linux.
You all do know that Red Hat Linux had more than four times the number of security patches that Windows had last year, right? OSX had nearly as many.
Windows can be made just as secure as any other system, but because it is THE operating system the world uses there are many many security holes left wide open by dumb users.
Hackers as a whole hate Microsoft and target them and them alone. For the most part having hackers/coders create the same types of issues with security and viruses would be equivalent to pissing in your own kool-aid.
They do it for glory and glory alone, to brag about it amongst themselves. If one started bragging about how he shredded OSX or Linux, which are both easier to get coding for (Linux being open and all), he would be ostracized.
iSnobs crack me up.
post #11 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
Yeah it's more secure because not as many hackers care to mess with it. Same with Linux.
You all do know that Red Hat Linux had more than four times the number of security patches that Windows had last year, right? OSX had nearly as many.
Windows can be made just as secure as any other system, but because it is THE operating system the world uses there are many many security holes left wide open by dumb users.
Hackers as a whole hate Microsoft and target them and them alone. For the most part having hackers/coders create the same types of issues with security and viruses would be equivalent to pissing in your own kool-aid.
They do it for glory and glory alone, to brag about it amongst themselves. If one started bragging about how he shredded OSX or Linux, which are both easier to get coding for (Linux being open and all), he would be ostracized.
iSnobs crack me up.
While there is some fact in the numbers issue UNIX in general is more secure than 'doz. The number of security patches is laughable, I read the article and it has one HUGE flaw. Mac OS X and Linux patches counted all the applications also as part of the 'system' now given that the list of apps that come on windows is fairly small and *nix systems have a large list it is not suprising. Further both systems come with compilers and a number of graphical apps installed (SUSE Linux comes with THREE browsers) Also check the severity of the security defect that was patched No system is perfect but I find it laughable that 'doz users always claim how everyone is just is bad to divert attention from the deficiency of Windows security.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #12 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:53 PM

The vast majority of Windows patches are overblown by Linux/Apple users. Very laughable indeed. Again, Unix is more secure because of its limited use and limited number of attackers. The security patches for Red Hat were no less severe than the few for Windows. It cracks me up how the Jobs sheeple refer to Windows boxes as virus boxes when their own system is every bit as open to virus attack. Again, there is no point in making a virus for the fruit when nobody uses them so your propogation numbers go nowhere - which is all the makers are worried about.
There were 55 actual security patches for Windows in '05
There were 268 actual security patches for Red Hat in '05
post #13 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 5:54 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
but I find it laughable that 'doz users always claim how everyone is just is bad to divert attention from the deficiency of Windows security.
I find it laughable that people argue over this shyte....

Keep it to more important stuff....like CBRs vs RCs...
Or Honda vs Suzuki.

04 600RR
post #14 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 6:44 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
The vast majority of Windows patches are overblown by Linux/Apple users. Very laughable indeed. Again, Unix is more secure because of its limited use and limited number of attackers. The security patches for Red Hat were no less severe than the few for Windows. It cracks me up how the Jobs sheeple refer to Windows boxes as virus boxes when their own system is every bit as open to virus attack. Again, there is no point in making a virus for the fruit when nobody uses them so your propogation numbers go nowhere - which is all the makers are worried about.
There were 55 actual security patches for Windows in '05
There were 268 actual security patches for Red Hat in '05
Actually, the real issue is that Microsoft tends to roll patches into one chunk for the whole system, whereas Unix systems release one patch per app per patch.

The numbers really are rather meaningless. I am sure there are statistics that point in each direction. In the end, if I place a Windows machine unprotected on the internet, within 15 minutes it will have more **** on it than a porta-potty seat. Unix boxes tend to not have this problem. In fact, they don't.

Hopefully MS gets their act together and ships Vista with most of the crap remote services turned off rather than on, with a respectable firewall, and with enhanced filesystem permissions, which don't allow a regular user to be an Admin 100% of the time on every thread that gets forked.

My Linux boxen have one or two ports open on them, usually SSH and possibly FTP if it's inside the firewall. Macs also only have SSH and AFP open. All the SSH stuff ONLY accepts SSH2 RSA keys for authentication, no passwords.

The windows boxes seem to have many things open, such as RPC, that tend to break things if you close them off.

OK, I am ranting now, but I would MUCH rather have to deal with a herd of Unix boxen anyday than a Windows infrastructure.
post #15 of 52 Old 04-05-2006, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
.......In the end, if I place a Windows machine unprotected on the internet, within 15 minutes it will have more **** on it than a porta-potty seat. Unix boxes tend to not have this problem. In fact, they don't........
Absolutely. And therein lies the real issue. There are too many computer illiterates on Windows, helping to propegate the worms/viruses, etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page