How bad is the job market? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: How bad is the job market?

CNN again Baketech.

I have friends that have been unable to find work upon being let go. How bad is it for you guys/gals right now? My industry (telecomm/IP) is bad right now. It seems as if it has stabilized a little, but it's still pretty poor. Tech jobs (sorry LTL) have ceased with the layoffs for the most part, but many jobs have been eliminated, and very few new ones created. A local guy I know just got canned about a month ago, he gets email responses from HR Depts. stating that they are receiving too many resumes, sometimes 1000 a day. A good friend works, I should say worked, in Manhattan and just got let go.

Do you think the job market is stabilizing, getting worse etc, I would like to hear from people in different fields.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:15 PM

I am in software consulting and it seems the bloodbath of layoffs is done and everyone is waiting for the market to come back. But no hiring in most places. Plus so much of software development is being moved off-shore to other countries. Not to sound pessimistc but I don't think we will ever go back to the hay days of Internet Boom. Its going to slow and steady recovery which takes time.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:15 PM

Since I'm not in tech, I can't comment.

Actually, things have kinda stabilized in the REAL tech industry(semi conductors) . *Not really ramping up, but lay offs are pretty much through and a few people are talking about turning up.

My cousin is an IT guy from the military and he just got very lucrative, multiple job offers. *Of course his TS clearance, and military systems experience doesn't hurt right now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:16 PM

I can tell you IT jobs in the Portland area are few and far between. There's very little turn over because the people that have the jobs are hanging onto them by their fingernails knowing that there's nowhere to go. I've heard from friends that it's a little better in the Seattle area but it's pretty much flooded everywhere.

We have a mgmt position open where I work and the CIO said that even with very specific requirements listed in the ad they're receiving hundreds of resume's.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:18 PM

I think it is getting a little worse as far as IT goes. *They just got done laying off the last of the people in our company and it was a bloodbath. *Since i'm an engineer, it didn't affect me, it was the upper management that got wacked. *Now that we are heading into the 4th. quarter, hiring will slow down even further, if that's possible. *Look for things to pick up during the middle of the 1st. quarter.

I've been in IT for 13 years and for 9 of that, things were great. *Quitting a job in the morning and starting a new one the next day for $5k more was not uncommon. *I knew our industry would go thru the same trend as the others, it just too 9/11 to get it started. *I feel we will have 2 more years of this, but I hope I am wrong. *The only good point is that the industry will be weeding out those who truly don't know what is going on. *In the past, if you knew the OSI layer, you could get a job. *Nowadays, with hiring so sparse, you want to pick the cream of the crop. *I am finding that the tech interviews I am doing are almost humorous as some of the people are just totally clueless. *It took us 10 interviews to find someone who know what EIGRP was, pretty sad.

Just to be clear, I work with the LAN/WAN end of the IT field, lots of Cisco gear, circuits, etc. *The SW end is taking a beating as well, most of my SQL/DB friends just got laid off back east as their jobs are going to INDIA.

Tank

post #6 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:26 PM Thread Starter

EIGRP, is that like RIP or OSPF?
post #7 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:47 PM

I think my company is one of the few that are hiring. The company next door has an almost empty parking lot. We are hiring a lot of mainframe CICS and COBOL programers. Also a few client programers. Raises are going to be crap, just b/c mgmt knows we can't go anywhere else. I found this out first hand when I recieved a promotion a month ago w/ a crappy raise. We are hiring a lot of project managers also. There are people w/ NO techinacal skills that in my opinion are $70,000 secretaries (sp). I'm not sure why they are being hired b/c we don't have that much work, and mgmt has been saying for the last two years that we have tons of work coming. Plus a senior programer could do the Project Manager job much more effectivley (sp).

Somebody give a good reason to go be a cop....please!
post #8 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Heavy-Dee : I think my company is one of the few that are hiring. *The company next door has an almost empty parking lot. *We are hiring a lot of mainframe CICS and COBOL programers. *Also a few client programers. *Raises are going to be crap, just b/c mgmt knows we can't go anywhere else. * I found this out first hand when I recieved a promotion a month ago w/ a crappy raise. *We are hiring a lot of project managers also. *There are people w/ NO techinacal skills that in my opinion are $70,000 *secretaries (sp). *I'm not sure why they are being hired b/c we don't have that much work, and mgmt has been saying for the last two years that we have tons of work coming. *Plus a senior programer could do the Project Manager job much more effectivley (sp).

How soon do you think it will be before some new mgmt. guy comes for your Swingline?
post #9 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 3:57 PM

It still sucks. I've talked to companies that are hiring and still haven't got a job. Going on three months now. A lot of companies have signs on their doors stating that they are not hiring even. BTW I'm a crane operator, rigger, truck driver mostly. I have also done logistics, mainly transportation wise. I do know for that I have a job waiting for me, if I want it. In Arizona! Am I wrong for not taking it? I have nothing against Arizona but I live in Houston. WTF? This one company wanted an overhead crane operator. I've operated cranes since '94 and didn't get the job. Why? No overhead crane experience! I've operated hydraulic cranes, friction cranes, even electric cranes, lattice boom cranes, telescopice boom cranes, crawler cranes, truck cranes, rough terrain cranes, and all terrain cranes ranging from 8ton-650tons but they didn't see me fit to operate an overhead crane. And the cranes I've operated were main boom, main boom and jib, and even main boom and luffing jib. Hope somebody else can figure out why I didn't get that job because I cannot.

My sister is an architect and has been out of work for five or six months. Most companies tell her they are not hiring at this time but plan on it in the future.

A friend of mine that served several years in the Navy has to put a package together for review that could take six months for the powers to be to view before deciding he can reenlist. For some reason they don't want vets back in, rather have fresh meat. Doesn't make sense to me or him but that is how it goes. Hell his brother in law and a friend of his work for Halliburton and he cann't get a job with them.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 4:01 PM Thread Starter

In this economy I'd move to AZ. *There are some really good people from the board that live there, some awesome roads, and some good looking women! *And it's not Cali priced either. *I really liked Tucson and Phoenix. *And Tucson has a big college with new fresh meat every fall

Edit: Sorry to hear about your job situation, I hope you get work soon, as do the other 9 million Americans out of work.

post #11 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 4:05 PM

I see things getting MUCH better. I look around on Monster and Dice every week and in orange county when I filtered for things like project manager, Microsoft, IT etc... six months ago I would get 2 new results a day, now I see an average of 20 new posts a day.

On a exciting note for me, I have been shopping myself around for the past month and I got 2 offers, my current company stepped up to the plate and gave me a HUGE raise I just got the news a few minutes ago.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 4:15 PM

Quote:
booth23 : In this economy I'd move to AZ. *There are some really good people from the board that live there, some awesome roads, and some good looking women! *And it's not Cali priced either. *I really liked Tucson and Phoenix. *And Tucson has a big college with new fresh meat every fall

Edit: *Sorry to hear about your job situation, I hope you get work soon, as do the other 9 million Americans out of work.
I'm there!

I'm really tempted to go ahead and take it. I just like having a place to call home. When I moved to Houston in '94 that was my 33rd move. And of course I've move several more times since being here but stayed in the general area. I just cann't really afford to move right now.

The company I used to work for went out of business and 85% of us are still jobless. May 31st of this year the plug was pulled.

Good luck to all looking for work.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 4:17 PM

Congrats BladeRider! It's good to hear some good news once in awhile. I work in IT and we had alot of head count lost. Now, there are more consultants. No hiring here, only firing. My company is in the consumer/business electronics business and the market is very soft right now but the workload hasn't eased up one bit. No raises/increases this year either.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 4:37 PM

Reputation Power: 20

As a headhunter I can say things are still bad. *There are still lay-offs and business' outright closing their doors. *Certain industries are doing OK, but that is as good as it gets.

Companies are getting swamped with resumes (not garbage, but qualified people). *This has pushed down salary levels. *It will be a while before things start to pick up (noticeably).

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #15 of 29 Old 08-29-2003, 4:43 PM

Quote:
booth23 : Quote (Heavy-Dee @ Aug. 29 2003, 2:47pm)I think my company is one of the few that are hiring. *The company next door has an almost empty parking lot. *We are hiring a lot of mainframe CICS and COBOL programers. *Also a few client programers. *Raises are going to be crap, just b/c mgmt knows we can't go anywhere else. * I found this out first hand when I recieved a promotion a month ago w/ a crappy raise. *We are hiring a lot of project managers also. *There are people w/ NO techinacal skills that in my opinion are $70,000 *secretaries (sp). *I'm not sure why they are being hired b/c we don't have that much work, and mgmt has been saying for the last two years that we have tons of work coming. *Plus a senior programer could do the Project Manager job much more effectivley (sp).

How soon do you think it will be before some new mgmt. guy comes for your Swingline?
I'll burn down the building I swear I will.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page