Rant. Nissan Dealers . . . - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 4:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rant. Nissan Dealers . . .

Not a motorcycle related vendor, but worth a rant anyway.

My daughter has an 03 Murano which overall is an excellent vehicle. Last year we received a recall notification for a potential failure with the alternator. I called the dealer we purchased the car from and attempted to make an appointment to get the recall work performed. I was told that they only received a couple of alternators per week and that they would put me in the queue and to expect a call within two weeks. I mentioned that the car also had a problem with the AC, as it wasn't cooling as well as it did when it was new. They said they would handle it when they replaced the alternator.

After 3 weeks went by, I called them again and they said the alternators were on allocation and they wouldn't be able to do my car for at least another month. One month later, I called them again and got the same story. In the meantime, I received a notice of two additional recalls and called the dealership again, only to be told, they weren't getting any more alternators for at least 2 months. I told them this was unacceptable and the service writer told me if I didn't like it, take it to another dealership.

There aren't many Nissan dealers in the area, so I called the next closest one and they said they could take care of all three recalls and the AC problem anytime, so I made an appointment and took it there last Thursday. They couldn't do all the work in one day, so I went in Friday afternoon to pick it up. The car has 31K miles on it and is 26 months old, so it is still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

When I went in, I was handed a bill for 90.00 for testing the AC and putting in 1 pound of refrigerant. When I asked why it wasn't covered under the warranty, I was told they couldn't find the leak and it was pretty difficult to "really look" for a leak with the thin tubing. I was then told that Nissan wouldn't pay for any warranty work unless they received a defective part and since they couldn't find the problem, I would have to pay for the work.

Believe me, 90 bucks isn't going to kill me, but I asked to speak to the service manager and got exactly the same story and was informed they wouldn't release the vehicle until I paid the bill. I asked to speak to the dealership manager and after waiting around for awhile finally got a chance to speak to him. He stated that they were losing 1000.00 per car that he sold and was in the process of selling the dealership because he was losing so much money and there was no way he was going out of pocket since Nissan wouldn't reimburse him. He said "show me the broken part", whereupon I mentioned what the service manager said about not being able to completely check the system since it was "so difficult". I asked him why I should be responsible for something they didn't (or wouldn't) check. He told me that the only way to fully check the system would require at least 500.00 worth of labor and unless I paid this amount up front, they wouldn't do it since they "may not find anything wrong even after completely checking the system". I then mentioned the possibilty that the system may not have been properly filled when the car was manufactured and therefore may not even have a leak and he replied that they wouldn't cover that anyway.

So I reluctantly paid the 90.00 after letting him know that I certainly wouldn't be buying the Armada I was considering in light of this information regarding Nissan's warranty policy. His reply was that I just saved someone 1500 dollars . . .

This sounds like total crap to me. Has anyone else had this type of experience with Nissan? I don't know how they are still in business.

Last edited by abtech; 04-16-2006 at 4:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 4:17 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Rant. Nissan Dealers . . .

My sister had an older Altima that she bought certified pre-owned. It came with an additional bumper to bumper warranty during which they replaced most of the suspension and did several fixes to the emissions systems, all hassle free
post #3 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 4:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
My sister had an older Altima that she bought certified pre-owned. It came with an additional bumper to bumper warranty during which they replaced most of the suspension and did several fixes to the emissions systems, all hassle free
I'm wondering if this is a dealer thing or a corporate thing, as I wouldn't last ten minutes treating any customer this way.

Sorry, we had to replace the CPU, but since I couldn't find what caused it to fail, you owe me 450.00 . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 5:15 PM

I had ordered a G35 coupe at the beginning of last year. I was happy about choosing a car because I had been researching for nearly 6 months. During the 3 months it took to get built and shipped over on the boat I read tons of information Nissan as a company. I found what you just experienced quite frequently or should I say...these types of problems were a lot more common than what I was used to (Hondas/Acuras). I read about many cases where Infiniti/Nissan dealers refused to take care of warranty work like this. There were quite a few people completely pissed off and swore to never buy another one of their products ever again. They actually liked their cars very much but the service departments were dismal.

After that I went over to some Honda forums about S2k's and never looked back, it was like night and day. My Honda dealer is first class and take care of just about anything. Infiniti was refusing clutch warranty work on many G35's because they said the owner was abusing the clutch, when in fact, they weren't the clutches are just trash in those cars.

From my personal experience I found the Infiniti dealers to be dicks (went to 3 of them).

Good luck.
post #5 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 5:32 PM Thread Starter

We had 2 different BMWs and both performed very well and the dealership always provided a comparable or better loaner whenever they were in for service. Towards the end of the warranty, they started coming up with some rather debatable decisions regarding stuff they had covered previously without hesitation. My daughter rear ended someone in a lifted 4X4 pickup on the freeway in her 325 when the driver stopped to avoid hitting a handcuffed fleeing felon who had wrestled his way from the state police and the car was totaled. Unfortunately, the airbag didn't deploy and she has suffered some serious back problems since the accident. We decided to get a somewhat larger vehicle, but since she didn't want an SUV or other "large" vehicle, the Murano seemed to fit the bill.

All in all the car is great. Excellent fit and finish, good performance, comfortable and excellent crash ratings. I just don't understand a company in the midst of recovering lost market share would ignore repeat business in this manner. The general indifference displayed by both dealers just amazes me in a market where service is the most important asset any dealer can provide.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 5:58 PM

I have one Nissan dealer in Manchester that I wouldn't trust to put air in my tires and one here in Concord that is fantastic so I don't doubt your story one bit.

I brought my truck into the Concord shop for an inspection last August and they mentioned that they had been seeing some of the Frontier gas tanks with leaks (Nissan as a whole, I guess) but that a recall hadn't officially been issued on it. They replaced the tank for me, no charge- same day service. They drove me home and even had somebody pick me up later when it was done.
I have 120,000 miles on my Frontier and with the exception of the gas tank (which I never would have known about if they hadn't mentioned it), new brake pads up front, tires and a crack in the right side manifold (still gotta get that fixed) my truck has performed flawlessly.
post #7 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 6:00 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Just a thought:
It is 26 months old to you but what is the manufacturing date? The reason I ask is freon will actually leak THROUGH rubber (new stuff included) the seapage is slow but cumulative. Unlike a house AC which can use steel lines a automotive A/C must have some flex to it (current designs). Thus they leak with time. Now most warranties do not include wear items and I think it is reasonable to include freon in that

Also they did take care of everything else in a timely manner unlike the other dealer. So I would change dealers as I believe they treated you fair (maybe should have warned that freon checks are not a warranty item)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #8 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 6:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Just a thought:
It is 26 months old to you but what is the manufacturing date? The reason I ask is freon will actually leak THROUGH rubber (new stuff included) the seapage is slow but cumulative. Unlike a house AC which can use steel lines a automotive A/C must have some flex to it (current designs). Thus they leak with time. Now most warranties do not include wear items and I think it is reasonable to include freon in that

Also they did take care of everything else in a timely manner unlike the other dealer. So I would change dealers as I believe they treated you fair (maybe should have warned that freon checks are not a warranty item)
The warranty specifically (by name) covers any leaks or defects in the AC system for 36 months or 36000 miles from the date of the original retail sale. Regardless of the actual problem, a bumper to bumper 36/36 warranty should be just that; a full warranty unless specifically excluded (which it isn't, and according to the warranty verbage is NOT a wear item).

When someone tells me he is losing over 1000.00 per vehicle sold with a straight face, I call bullshit. The dealership would have folded long ago (they have been in business under the current corporate ownership for 12 years).

I'll put it another way. My Excursion has had a few problems with overheating that they had been unable to pinpoint. It only happened 3 times, but each time the truck became undrivable, so they picked me up, towed the truck in (once over 120 miles), gave me a decent loaner vehicle and covered everything. They finally found the problem (head gasket microfracture) and instead of just replacing the ONE headgasket, they replaced BOTH of the heads, valves, gaskets etc. and apologized about the inconvenience. The Nissan dealer basically acted like I was Joe **** the Ragman and couldn't wait until I was finished, as he walked away while I was still talking.
post #9 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 6:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
The warranty specifically (by name) covers any leaks or defects in the AC system for 36 months or 36000 miles from the date of the original retail sale. Regardless of the actual problem, a bumper to bumper 36/36 warranty should be just that; a full warranty unless specifically excluded (which it isn't, and according to the warranty verbage is NOT a wear item).

When someone tells me he is losing over 1000.00 per vehicle sold with a straight face, I call bullshit. The dealership would have folded long ago (they have been in business under the current corporate ownership for 12 years).

I'll put it another way. My Excursion has had a few problems with overheating that they had been unable to pinpoint. It only happened 3 times, but each time the truck became undrivable, so they picked me up, towed the truck in (once over 120 miles), gave me a decent loaner vehicle and covered everything. They finally found the problem (head gasket microfracture) and instead of just replacing the ONE headgasket, they replaced BOTH of the heads, valves, gaskets etc. and apologized about the inconvenience. The Nissan dealer basically acted like I was Joe **** the Ragman and couldn't wait until I was finished, as he walked away while I was still talking.
BTW, the 1 pound of freon is 50% of the total in the system. I would bet it was never initially filled to capacity, as I have had vehicles (with the newer compliant freon systems) last a lot longer than 26 months without any reduction in AC performance.

The manufacturing date is 08/21/03, 11 weeks before I bought it.

Last edited by abtech; 04-16-2006 at 6:28 PM.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 6:54 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
BTW, the 1 pound of freon is 50% of the total in the system. I would bet it was never initially filled to capacity, as I have had vehicles (with the newer compliant freon systems) last a lot longer than 26 months without any reduction in AC performance.

The manufacturing date is 08/21/03, 11 weeks before I bought it.
So more than 26 months since loading. However I agree if the warranty specified the A/C was covered that my comment would not have applied. (now send maple)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 6:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
So more than 26 months since loading. However I agree if the warranty specified the A/C was covered that my comment would not have applied. (now send maple)
No maple for you.

Last edited by abtech; 12-20-2006 at 8:50 AM.
post #12 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 7:34 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to southpark460 Send a message via Yahoo to southpark460

That is total bs... I would sue them in small claims court, name Nissan USA as a co-defendant, and try to get your money back on pure principal alone. Let them explain to a judge why they charged you for something that was clearly covered under warranty. I would bet money the claim was turned in to Nissan USA for warranty reimbursement anyways. Double-dipping the till...
post #13 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 8:15 PM

That sucks.

My 3/36k on my GMC covered everything. I had the horn break and they fixed it...with a loaner from Hertz.

I think it's dealer dependant as much as brand I think.

post #14 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 9:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark460
That is total bs... I would sue them in small claims court, name Nissan USA as a co-defendant, and try to get your money back on pure principal alone. Let them explain to a judge why they charged you for something that was clearly covered under warranty. I would bet money the claim was turned in to Nissan USA for warranty reimbursement anyways. Double-dipping the till...
I'll bet they turned it in as well. What a sad lot . . .
post #15 of 36 Old 04-16-2006, 9:30 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

The GM sounds like an asshole. Owning a dealership is like having a license to print money; if he is truly losing that much it's because he has no idea wtf he's doing.

I would write to Nissan.

And then there's this asshole...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page