How fat can I be? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 5:13 AM Thread Starter
Fig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How fat can I be?

So I log onto the board, and I have a computer telling me "It appears that you have not posted on our forums for several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution, or just engage in a conversation with another member?" Well, here goes.

I have really been feeling good about getting back into shape. I know that I was stretching out a 5X shirt, and believe me folks that isn't an easy task. I have been riding my fat little ass off on the bicycle, and can now comfortably ride a 20 mile trip including the, for lack of better words, hill that I live on. I leave the house, head up to the top of the hill, drop down the other side, ride around town, and make my way back around up the hill again. With a straight route and no farting around, it's an 11.5 mile loop, and I did it today averaging about 11 mph. I am now wearing a 2X shirt, which I feel good about, but today has been a real test.

We spent Easter at a relative's new house. As he was showing us around the house, we got to the master bedroom and bath. Well there on the floor sat a new scale. I dragged behind the tour and let them all head on to the next room. So I step on the scale after checking to make sure it was properly set. The ******* thing didn't stop spinning until it hit 290.. 290 pounds. Two hundred and ninety ****ing pounds.

I can't even begin to explain how depressing that is. I am sitting here typing this about to break down. I have been through a lot of depressing times in my life, and I have to say, stepping off that scale today was way more depressing than just about anything I have been through. It **** up the whole day for me and here it is 1 AM, and it isn't getting any better. I know, I have made progress and all, but I am two hundred and ninety &%^#%^ pounds. I don't understand how my poor legs are pedalling my ass up this mountain I live on. Why my heart hasn't just exploded is beyond me. My poor bike..

Even more depressing is that all I can think now is, "Exactly how ******* fat was I when I started this?" I have a hard time believing my family wasn't just embarassed as hell to be seen with me, and christ, I am still not exactly a small guy.

I am not going to stop exercising, and working at this, but wow, that was a serious kick in the nuts.

There, message board software, are you HAPPY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 7:20 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: How fat can I be?

Keep going Fig...going down the 3 shirt sizes is already a huge improvement. You're doing fine, just keep it up
post #3 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 8:33 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Keep going Fig...going down the 3 shirt sizes is already a huge improvement. You're doing fine, just keep it up

Stay off the scale. Measure success by things like the loss of shirt sizes and how much better you feel as your fitness improves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 8:44 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to southpark460 Send a message via Yahoo to southpark460

Don't focus on the weight... You've obviously dropped a lot of body fat and replaced it with muscle which is much more dense, and you've got to be in much better shape if you can ride a 20-mile trip with no problems. It's difficult when you start any fitness program because you typically won't lose lots of weight. And a scale is the WORST way to gauge your progress! You've already said you've been successful to date! You're down 3 shirt sizes! You're physically fit enough to ride the piss out of that bike! You're doing great man....
post #5 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 8:49 AM

Hey Fig man. You're doing well. Hear that? "You're doing well." You know why I say that? Two reasons:

1. Because as Noodles says, you are already down 3 shirt sizes.
2. Because you are addressing the problem. I've got nothing against fat people, just fat AND lazy people.

You are a role model man! Don't be down on yourself. How many people out there think that their weight problem is somebody else's fault? Not you. You don't care or consider who's fault it is, you just accept who's responsibility it is to fix it, and you bear that cross like a responsible family man.

I admire you. Don't let me down.

HD
post #6 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 8:52 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I have a co-worker that weighed 294 last June (he is short also) and is now down to 210. When he started he lost next to nothing. Two things changed for him though in the next 2 months, diet and exercise. Not only is he 80 lbs lighter his condition, attitude and general health have all gotten much better.

Keep up the great work 3 shirt sizes is huge in improvement. Either you started much higher, thier scale sucks, or your condition has greatly improved. Likely all three. Keep up the good work, if you do and loose zero pounds you would still be one massive f$$$$#

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX

Stay off the scale. Measure success by things like the loss of shirt sizes and how much better you feel as your fitness improves.
I've been telling people this for years.
post #8 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 9:22 AM

Like everyone has said, stay off the scale. Use a tape measure or calipers to measure body fat.

You've already taken the hardest step, getting up off the couch. Just going from a 5X to a 2X is a huge change.

Like SouthPark already alluded to, by exercising muscles you hadn't used in years, they are growing at the same time the fat is being shed. It sounds like you've reached the point where muscle gain (in pounds) is overcoming fat loss (in pounds). Going near the scale now is only going to get more depressing. The scale is going to tell you you're gaining weight but not tell you you're still losing fat. You'll reach a point where the muscle's metabolism combined with the exercise and diet will overcome this and you'll burn fat even faster and the scale will start to show weight loss again.

Stick with it. You're doing fine.

If you have time to add some weight training, it'll help build the muscle in your upper body and legs a bit faster and increase your metabolic rate even more.
post #9 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 10:07 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Sounds like you're making plenty of progress. Ordinary scales don't give you enough information to measure progress, but if you're willing to spend a couple hundred bucks you can buy a body composition scale. They've got metal sensors that run a current through you and measure your body fat percentage and water weight based on resistance. The better ones should be accurate to within a couple points.

Also, make sure you're drinking a ridiculous amount of water... a lot of that weight could be retained water. You'd be surprised how much bulk might vanish.

And then there's this asshole...
post #10 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 AM

Fig, please check your private messages.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't stop doing what you're doing. Keep at the excercise and the moderate portions - For all you know, you've lost 10% of your body weight, and you're trending down. So don't worry about where you've been, just stay the course.
You're achieving something more important than an arbitrary weight goal, anyway.. you're adding years to your life.
post #12 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with the above. You already have made a difference, and have results to prove it. You're much more a role model to your family than anything else. You've gotten up, made a decision to improve your life and you're doing it. Keep going, I'm sure your kids are very proud of you and are impressed by your progress.

Last edited by BDA116; 04-17-2006 at 11:32 AM.
post #13 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 10:53 AM

Ah keep up the good work!!! As said about, dont worry too much about the scale. Judge your progress on your clothes and how good you feel. good luck!
post #14 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Just keep going! As the others said, it sounds like you've already made a lot of progress! We're all pulling for you!

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #15 of 33 Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Stay off the scale! Who cares what you were, focus on where you have gotten, and where you are going!!! Your fittness program and attitude has inspired me to work on gettin into better shape, so thank you. Hello, my name is Mike, and its been 16 days since I ate fastfood and real soda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page