USMC SSN's Compromised - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-18-2006, 6:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to Dolamyte Send a message via Yahoo to Dolamyte
USMC SSN's Compromised

Some of you know that Im stationed out in 29 Palms, and the latest buzz in the Marine Coprs Community is that a Naval Post graduate was given a thumb drive that conatined almost 208,000 Marines sensative information. They were partial records and all included Social Security Numbers . I have two links for those who are or where in the Marines between 2000-2005. I believe that is affected both regualr and reseve components. The post graduate was given need to know clearance for the information, saying that it was critical for his thesis . This first link will allow you to read the MAR/ADMIN that was sent out and the circumstances that revolve around this issue and the second link allows you to check to see if your SSN was in the affected group. Mine was and I have since put out a fraud alert to Equifax, Transunion, and Expirian . These links are safe and secure and if you would like anymore information including submitting a fraud alert or have any questions Im always on this and available.

http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradm...ight=2,Privacy

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal..._schema=PORTAL

Edit: If the second link does not work for you it may be because of the site. It may require you to have a MIP account becasue of the security involved. Contact me if it does not work for you.

Dolan

Last edited by Dolamyte; 04-18-2006 at 6:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-18-2006, 7:27 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: USMC SSN's Compromised

thanks for the warning man. gonna put out the fraud alert just in case. edit: my social is on the list, that idiot who lost the **** needs his ass wooped and so does the one who gave it to him.

shouldn't this be in the motor pool?

Last edited by Getsome; 04-18-2006 at 9:00 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-18-2006, 8:54 PM

Thanks. I'll let my son know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-18-2006, 9:06 PM

Not to be pessimisstic or anything, but if you are in ANY branch of the military you are screwed. Your SSN is on hundreds of documents and files across multiple systems and agencies. For example, as a senior corpsman with the USMC Infantry, I could look up the SSN of any Marine or Sailor from Camp Lejeune at will.

There has been a lot of talk lately of moving back to a non-SSN serial number like the olden days of WWII.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-18-2006, 9:11 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome
thanks for the warning man. gonna put out the fraud alert just in case. edit: my social is on the list, that idiot who lost the **** needs his ass wooped and so does the one who gave it to him.

shouldn't this be in the motor pool?
I agree and I hope the government is AGGRESIVELY seeking the person who has it. I am thinking a slow skinning might be appropriate for any scum thief that messes with the folks serving our country.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 16 Old 04-19-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Wirelessly posted (MOT-V360/08.B7.56R MIB/2.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

im going to run some questions up my chain and see if anyone know what recourse there is. ill keep posting as i find out more

Only when we have nothing left are we the most resourcefull
post #7 of 16 Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Ok so what I found out about this guy is that he is not committed to the military like myself or anyone else serving. From what I know there is no recourse for what he did and they most likely they will keep it in house. The only thing that I can think of that they will offer for a punishment is to revoke his ability to receive his commision, which I'm sure he what trying to get.

In response to my Doc, your right it does seem like we have easy access to this kind of information. What you cant access is someones SRB (Service record book) and that information was also contained on the thumb drive. There is a difference between you, I, and the rest of the population. We are granted certain levels of clearance, which depending on the level require that you meet certain circumstances. I went through a lot of work to get mine and it took a little over a year to officially be gratned it. He does not have a clearance but on a case by case baisis a civilian can be granted certain levels, but like all sensative informaiton it's all based on "need to know" and nothing more. You and I are entrusted with free access to things like this and as such are trusted not to use it maliciously. Not to mention that for you or I to even look at it requires the use of a computer like you said above. Once you are logged on NMCI the civial sector the manages Navy/Marine Coprs computers, logges your every action. So if you pull someones information and two weeks later they have a 30,000 dollar loan against them that they didnt apply for, they have your "footsteps" they can follow. For us its done in a controlled manner and for him he was given it on a portable storage device, and from what I know given free roam anywhere he likes. The problem will eventually get fixed, just dont expect anyone to visit the guillotine for it.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-30-2006, 4:19 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

There was an article in Stars and Stripes recently about thumb drives at Bagram AB in Afghanistan being stolen by cleaning crews and sold on the local market. The military has long over-used the ever increasingly sensitive SSN for way too long IMO. And that applies to all branches, as did the SSNs that were recovered from many of the thumb drives at Bagram.

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-03-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I hear things like that too. I always take the news I hear with a grain of salt just because I never know whats true and whats hype. Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to go back to service numbers, but its not my call!

post #10 of 16 Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolamyte
Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to go back to service numbers, but its not my call!
I'm not in the service but if I was, I'd certainly want a service #...the less people that know my social the better!

post #11 of 16 Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I'm not in the service but if I was, I'd certainly want a service #...the less people that know my social the better!
Yea its definatly hair rasing knowing how your ssn is used and distributed, and also knowing who is entrusted with keeping it secure just makes things worse!

post #12 of 16 Old 05-16-2006, 5:31 PM

I have been in for a few years now.....0oRaHH!! but anyhow......i couldnt access that second link? How would i get there do i need a LAN account for the airstation??
post #13 of 16 Old 05-17-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Probly not, I know that you can get to it fo sure if you access it from a terminal on base. Let me see what I can get for a different link. It should work though. Everyone else has been able to use it sucessfully. Try to get to it on base and if you still cant get it let me know!

post #14 of 16 Old 05-22-2006, 5:11 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to southpark460 Send a message via Yahoo to southpark460

Yet another slipup. This one looks worse...

Story
post #15 of 16 Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolamyte
Some of you know that Im stationed out in 29 Palms, and the latest buzz in the Marine Coprs Community is that a Naval Post graduate was given a thumb drive that conatined almost 208,000 Marines sensative information. They were partial records and all included Social Security Numbers . I have two links for those who are or where in the Marines between 2000-2005. I believe that is affected both regualr and reseve components. The post graduate was given need to know clearance for the information, saying that it was critical for his thesis . This first link will allow you to read the MAR/ADMIN that was sent out and the circumstances that revolve around this issue and the second link allows you to check to see if your SSN was in the affected group. Mine was and I have since put out a fraud alert to Equifax, Transunion, and Expirian . These links are safe and secure and if you would like anymore information including submitting a fraud alert or have any questions Im always on this and available.

http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradm...ight=2,Privacy

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal..._schema=PORTAL

Edit: If the second link does not work for you it may be because of the site. It may require you to have a MIP account becasue of the security involved. Contact me if it does not work for you.

Dolan
My SSN was on this also damn this sucks....

Tim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page